Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

i know its not rolling stock, but it will soon serve rolling stock.
and its my first try with weathering.

i use the following:

- acrylic colors (waterbased)
- liquid pigments
- dry pigments

i will also add a graffiti to the wall.

sunday_001.jpg

any feedback or tipps and tricks are welcome!

i use the following:

- liquid pigments
- dry pigments

View attachment 189795

Rarely see a yellow building these days, but what is it, some kind of pre-fab, or a brick building, a few more fotos from another angle would help

hi @Smudge617 atm i dont have more pictures, the sidewalls are not yet weathered. The Building is from Walthers, this one
i was trying the "same" color like the one on the picture, but i know its to yellow. but i will try to tone it down with some more weathering and maybe a grey wash.

cheers
jay

hi @Smudge617 atm i dont have more pictures, the sidewalls are not yet weathered. The Building is from Walthers, this one
i was trying the "same" color like the one on the picture, but i know its to yellow. but i will try to tone it down with some more weathering and maybe a grey wash.

cheers
jay
Ok, I think I've got that one somewhere too, I think Beige might be closer, or use yellow mixed with white to give it a "lighter" look

I think Beige might be closer, or use yellow mixed with white to give it a "lighter" look
i added white, but maybe should have taken even more. will try to clean it and than maybe airbrush a more light version.
as iam writing this i guess i found my error. i mixed yellow with white, but i should have done the opposite xD white with small portion of yellow.

well i guess you never not learning :D

i added white, but maybe should have taken even more. will try to clean it and than maybe airbrush a more light version.
as iam writing this i guess i found my error. i mixed yellow with white, but i should have done the opposite xD white with small portion of yellow.

well i guess you never not learning :D
You could just fade it using white, but yellow is a strong colour not sure how many fades you would need, did you use primer on this first ?

If you go to the first few pages of this thread (if you haven't already) Tom gives some great advice on how to achieve great results

yes i did use primer. normally i always add primer. did learn it that way :D

will check out the first few pages, i think i did already but its never wrong to do it again :D

yes i did use primer. normally i always add primer. did learn it that way :D

will check out the first few pages, i think i did already but its never wrong to do it again :D
I printed a few pages and keep them handy with my airbrush, no harm in checking sometimes. I've had my own disasters from time to time.

i use the following:

- liquid pigments
- dry pigments

View attachment 189795

Generally we don’t post pictures of structures in this thread but weathering is weathering. I have no issue with you posting it here!

I use pictures of structures to see the weathering patterns and colors on similar structures. The thing on structures (even more so then freight cars) is the randomness of the patterns. There is NO RIGHT or WRONG WAY to weather a structure EXCEPT in my book for the colors.

#1 You have 4 or more walls on a structure and the fading for each wall probably is very different on each

#2 unless you have a old metal building rust is at a minimum BUT it’s still usually there. Down spouts and gutters are notorious for rust usually where the hangers are. Also areas where things are attached to or coming out of the wall may have some rust and downward streaks. Fasteners rust or if they are supposedly rust proof those spot have a dirt build up from the elements

#3 weathering on brick is more subtle than a metal clad building and the age of either building helps determine weathering

As for the yellow building above. I like the rust streaks on the end wall. That color in to my eye is right.

The black exhaust above the wider end panel door should thin out (fade) as it does towards the roof. I like the pattern though above that door and if it’s exhaust buildup the coloring is right

Dirt or grime generally is not a pure black (unless it’s black mold) on a building. I think you need brown with a touch of black added on the center panel and the far left panels to represent more of a grime build up. If the black is supposed to be exhaust, you need to add exhaust pipes for that to occur. Again though IMO you have the patterns down, you just need a reason for it if it’s exhaust.

None of this is meant as criticism and I hope you take it in the constructive way I want to convey it. You took the plunge by posting a picture of your 1st weathering. Congrats on that. I weathered models for years before I posted pictures.

This thread was started asking for constructive criticism on weathering projects I and others have posted here. Respond back, ask questions but really nothing you have done is wrong.

How high is your self layout in the background from the floor!

Last edited:
hey @TLOC aka TomO

Many thnx for your feedback. and i definitely see it as feedback and help to think and get better! thats why i posted the picture. i have to say the black was added just random, i was thinking maybe someday there was something standing there that created the exhaust look alike. above the door could be maybe there was once a fire in there who knows. but it is maybe a bit too much.

i will let it like this but will maybe try to tone down the side walls. like you say color may differ an every wall and especially outside walls. so i see it as a learning structure where i can try out and test things. in the end if iam not happy when its on the layout i maybe repaint it, but for now i will stick to it and try to maybe fix it up a little. thank you again for your comment.

about my shelf layout, thats maybe 1m30 (aprox. 4feet) above ground. The shelf itself is around 2 feet deep. you can find my building thread here.

cheers
jay

Last edited:
hey @TLOC aka TomO

Many thnx for your feedback. and i definitely see it as feedback and help to think and get better! thats why i posted the picture. i have to say the black was added just random, i was thinking maybe someday there was something standing there that created the exhaust look alike. above the door could be maybe there was once a fire in there who knows. but it is maybe a bit too much.

i will let it like this but will maybe try to tone down the side walls. like you say color may differ an every wall and especially outside walls. so i see it as a learning structure where i can try out and test things. in the end if iam not happy when its on the layout i maybe repaint it, but for now i will stick to it and try to maybe fix it up a little. thank you again for your comment.

about my shelf layout, thats maybe 1m30 (aprox. 4feet) above ground. The shelf itself is around 2 feet deep. you can find my building thread here.

cheers
jay
Jay. Glad you are taking it as I had intended. You don’t have to remove anything but add some colors to blend what you have done. Feathering out the black above the door way is where I would start.

What I do on structures is paint it, I don’t usually prime. Let it sit a couple days and add a clear coat. Let that dry then fade and weather. But again, there is no wrong way and if or when YOU are happy with it that’s what it’s all about.

Thanks for the layout info and I will go check out your thread…

Tom, I missed those Amazon containers. Hope they run them again.
I have read mixed responses about ST running them again. Some say they won’t be run because of licensing and others say that’s not an issue. I’m glad I got them when I could buying 30 of the Amazon Prime and 18 of the WalMart. I have already sold off for crazy pricing the Walmart containers. I had resisted offers on the Amazon Prime containers but my thinking on running stack trains on the layout is changing, so I sold 12

JTC is taking supposedly pre-orders on HO scale Amazon Prime containers till 5/31. $50 per 2 pack. But, that was a FB post and when I go to the horrible JTC website I can’t find them?!?

Edit:
Found it! 3 packs at $60
IMG_5728.png

Last edited:
I have read mixed responses about ST running them again. Some say they won’t be run because of licensing and others say that’s not an issue. I’m glad I got them when I could buying 30 of the Amazon Prime and 18 of the WalMart. I have already sold off for crazy pricing the Walmart containers. I had resisted offers on the Amazon Prime containers but my thinking on running stack trains on the layout is changing, so I sold 12

JTC is taking supposedly pre-orders on HO scale Amazon Prime containers till 5/31. $50 per 2 pack. But, that was a FB post and when I go to the horrible JTC website I can’t find them?!?

Edit:
Found it! 3 packs at $60
Hogtrainz has them up for pre-order for $43.95 a 3 pack.

Back