weathering powders

Bragdon Enterprises Powders, I wouldnt use any other weathering powders.... The Bragdon Powders have a "built" in bonding agent that makes them stick and stay on models the harder you rub them. They also wash off with water. They claim its goof proof, and in all honestly, i think they really are goof proof! Even though there is the built in bonding agent, you should still spray a layer of flat clear ontop to seal it in place if the model is going to be handled alot....

The AIM powders are actually self adhesive, almost like glue. They are very difficult to spread, tend to gunk up in tight places, and are difficult to remove if your weathering job goes wrong. I haven't used the Bragdon Powders so I can't give an opinion there. My stock in trade is a 48 color set of artist's pastels that I picked up from Michaels for $15. They are not adhesive and must be oversprayed with dullcote to fix them in place. The chief advantages are that they are easy to use, very fine when scraped with a dull knife blade, spread easily, and the wide variety of colors is useful for fading a whole car, something that can't be done with five or six weathering colors. It's hard for me to justify the prices I see for weathering powders when I have a lifetime supply for $15. :) The weathering job on the two CSX engines in the picture were done exclusively with artisti's chalks and a little dry brushing, to give you an idea of what's possible on the cheap.

CSCU30CatFirstAveMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the AIM weathering powders and so far I like them. It takes a little bit to get the hang of it so you will definitely want to practice on something other than your prized models. The hardest part imo was getting use to how much powder each job needed, a little goes a LONG way. :)

If I didnt get a deal on AIM powders a few weeks back, I would have gone the way UP does and use regular chalks from an art store instead. It would be nice to know what exactly is being used by these weathering powder manufactures as a bonding agent though.

I've watched a few videos on YouTube where guys will use dry paint pigments as well. Has anyone used these? The results seem quite impressive!

Dry paint pigments will also work but they also have some adhesive propeties and requires some practice to get right. They are are alos not inexpensive for good quality paint pigments. One advantage is the wide range of colors available, but you can get the same thing with artist's chalks for less money, so I haven't seen a compelling reason to use them.

Noch also make weathering powders. I have a set and like them, but I have no experience with other brands.

- Jeff

Back