Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

I have seen freight cars that messed up but never a locomotive. Are those really out there?

Seriously curious. Dave LASM
I watch videos on you tube from the LA/Long Beach Harbor area for graffiti ideas. There are some UP diesels that every inch are covered in graffiti. I have 4 diesels going to a client near the LA harbor that will have graffiti in September/October and he is ok with me posting pictures. These are a few examples of what he wants me to replicate
IMG_6302.png
IMG_6301.png

Last edited:
I watch videos on you tube from the LA/Long Beach Harbor area for graffiti ideas. There are some UP diesels that every inch are covered in graffiti. I have 4 diesels going to a client near the LA harbor that will have graffiti in September/October and he is ok with me posting pictures. These are a few examples of what he wants me to replicate
View attachment 193658View attachment 193659
Tom - Thanks for the pics. They must keep a better eye on things in St. Paul, kinda hard to believe but I see the TV clips about Calif and get it.

The grain cars down by I-94 and 280 in St. Paul are pretty wild, but they are easy access and lots of hiding places.

In the more rural areas, things are a lot more subdued. I took this photo in Sisseton North Dakota a couple weeks ago.

20240617_093450.jpg

I guess they have better patrol in this town.

THANKS for the reply! Dave LASM

SD39.jpg

someday i would love to weather this one, not much just a bit.

i have a few questions. because i never saw a US Diesel in real life, so i dont really know much about US Diesels, and cant take pictures of actual real ones.

- where can i find good pictures of locos like this one?
- what would be your go to starter tipps for weathering?

i started weathering rolling stock a bit, and i have to say iam a lil scared to do it on a actual pretty nice looking engine, but i want to add at least a little dust to the under side or some grime/soot/smoke to the exhausts and stuff.

:)

View attachment 193835

i have a few questions. because i never saw a US Diesel in real life, so i dont really know much about US Diesels, and cant take pictures of actual real ones.

- where can i find good pictures of locos like this one?
- what would be your go to starter tipps for weathering?

i started weathering rolling stock a bit, and i have to say iam a lil scared to do it on a actual pretty nice looking engine, but i want to add at least a little dust to the under side or some grime/soot/smoke to the exhausts and stuff.

:)
Another source:

locophotos.com

IMG_6309.jpeg

And

Railpictures.net

IMG_6310.jpeg
I believe you have picked an excellent model to start on. Neither picture shows much grime but it definitely is on the locomotive. I use pictures for inspiration and guidance

If you are happy weathering rolling stock you’ll have no issues weathering a diesel locomotive

As for tips, less is more!

View attachment 193835

Oh, I think honor pretty much requires you to weather that one…

I know if I had a white locomotive all nice & clean like that, it would be daring me, mocking me , until I did it, invading my dreams.

Maybe just some soot in the grillework, some light highlighting of the panel lines.

(I better leave before I start hearing those voices again.)

You can’t always find the actual diesel locomotive online but you may still get ideas from similar numbered models or from the same railroad. Here is a YouTube video that shows many Soo red and white diesels.

Look at the body sides and see where the grime, rust and dirt streaks form and flow. Look at the hatches, fans and latches to see where rust or heavier dirt accumulates. You especially want to focus on the frame and running gear to see how those look.

But just have fun, have a plan but remember if you don’t like it, weathering can be removed

Back