Weathered PRR X-29 box car

Hi: I picked up a 3 pack of Walthers Gold Line PRR X-29 box cars at the Strasburg RR hobby shop on Saturday. Here's the first one.

P1030398.jpg

Grampys',

Seriously, you of all people should know better than to post a picture of an old rustbucket like that. Why couldn't you find a better subject for your shot one that didn't have the rusted sill and beautiful rusted streaks along its' ribs.;)

All I can say is............. nice work:cool:.

Johnny:D

Gramps, that thing looks like a piece of junk - which means it looks great. :) How did you get the heavy rust on the left bottom sill of the car?

Thanks, Ryan, Johnny, and Jim. I was Googleing for a photo of an X-29, and read that the sills on these box cars trapped water and rusted out and later had to be patched. Although I didn't find a good pic, I tried to simulate some heavy rust on the sills. I also picked up some AIM weathering powder, and there was a tip in the literature that came with it about using hair spray and sprinkling weathering powder on it while still wet. I tried it and liked the results. BTW, Johnny, great job on your Freedom Train. I toured the real one when it was in Lancaster, Pa. in the summer of "76".

Back