Water Tower

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
It's been just over half a year without a layout and I've decided to take on a project in the meantime - I want to scratch build this water tower. I'm using this person in the photo to figure out the dimensions of it. She is 5'5'' so I'm figuring each section is about 9'. Now I need help with figuring out the diameter.

SWAG...19' diameter.

Using the 5' 5" as a rough order estimate there's approximately 25' visable. Add another 5' for not being able to see a full half of the circumference and you end up with 60' for full circumference. C=Pi * D or D= C/Pi ... D=60/3.14 = 19.1' ... approximately ;)

SWAG...19' diameter.

Using the 5' 5" as a rough order estimate there's approximately 25' visable. Add another 5' for not being able to see a full half of the circumference and you end up with 60' for full circumference. C=Pi * D or D= C/Pi ... D=60/3.14 = 19.1' ... approximately ;)

Wow! I didn't excel at math in school.

I built this coal tower in the 90's from scratch; I had to guess the dimensions using just a photograph. I'm thinking of using the same materials for the water tower - heavy duty cardboard dowel and some Tichi parts.

Cheers

I saw you post images of that fantastic work awhile back ago and was impressed then, and am impressed again! I think you'll be able to create a stunning example of the prototype. Please post progress pics!

I saw you post images of that fantastic work awhile back ago and was impressed then, and am impressed again! I think you'll be able to create a stunning example of the prototype. Please post progress pics!

Thank you.

I will certainly post progress pics, bit for now "a-huntin I will go" for materials.

Cheers

Zoe, a piece of 2 inch pvc plastic pipe measures a shade over 18 scale feet outside diameter. Could be used as the "frame" for adding the band and seam and other details which would make it a shade bigger appearing. Might save a lot of grief forming individual pieces for the basic tank. Styrene can be cemented to the pvc with Plastic Weld after you scuff the pipe with very fine sandpaper.

I came up with an approximate height of 105-112 feet. Figure that the ladder rungs are spaced one foot apart and count them on the original picture and add a corresponding amount for the distance without the ladder and you will be very close. I would say that inacole's guesstimate on the diameter is very close.

Zoe, a piece of 2 inch pvc plastic pipe measures a shade over 18 scale feet outside diameter. Could be used as the "frame" for adding the band and seam and other details which would make it a shade bigger appearing. Might save a lot of grief forming individual pieces for the basic tank. Styrene can be cemented to the pvc with Plastic Weld after you scuff the pipe with very fine sandpaper.

I never would have though of that. Thank you Mike. I'm guessing I can get some of this pvc at home depot?

I came up with an approximate height of 105-112 feet. Figure that the ladder rungs are spaced one foot apart and count them on the original picture and add a corresponding amount for the distance without the ladder and you will be very close. I would say that inacole's guesstimate on the diameter is very close.

I was guessing about 104 feet high not including the cap. There are thirteen sections on the tower and it seems each section is 8 feet, but I could be wrong; perhaps 9 feet.

I just did a quick search on the net and got the dimensions. Now I have to convert to feet and find out when it was painted white and red.

Built: 1950
Height: 33.5 m. Diameter: 6.07 m.
Capacity: 1,250,175 liters

I just did the conversion and you were very close. It's 109.91 feet high and I'm sure that includes the dome that must be about 5 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWAG...19' diameter.

Very close. You are good!

It's diameter is 19.91 feet.

Silly me. I never thought to look up the water tower on the net. For some reason it is called a standing pipe.

Our town had one like that until about 1981 or '82. They built a new 4-legged tower then to replace it and about two years ago built another tower of a spherical design.

Here is some info and a picture of a very unique water tower in a town near where I live. It has a LOT of character and I doubt that you will find many like it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_Water_Tower

http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/watertowers/il/13-60historicwt.html

http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/watertowers/il/13-60historicwt2.html

I never would have though of that. Thank you Mike. I'm guessing I can get some of this pvc at home depot?

Yes they have it but unless they sell shorter pieces you'll end up having to buy a 10 footer. Know any plumbers that might have a piece a couple of feet long they can give you?

Lowes and Menards sell 5' lengths also. Those are lots easier for people haul without a pickup truck. You might also want to check fittings for 1 1/2" pipe which could be stacked to make the height. One of the fittings is a cap which happens to look like a dome. It might work if you sand the raised lettering off.

Our town had one like that until about 1981 or '82. They built a new 4-legged tower then to replace it and about two years ago built another tower of a spherical design.

Here is some info and a picture of a very unique water tower in a town near where I live. It has a LOT of character and I doubt that you will find many like it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_Water_Tower

http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/watertowers/il/13-60historicwt.html

http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/watertowers/il/13-60historicwt2.html

Very unique.

Yes they have it but unless they sell shorter pieces you'll end up having to buy a 10 footer. Know any plumbers that might have a piece a couple of feet long they can give you?

I know a contractor and will ask. Thanks.

Back