Walthers "Trainline" RTR?

PARKINGLOT

Canadian Railfan
anyone have any experiance with the "Trainline" RTR stuff from Walthers? I'm just thinking of picking up one as something to use until I have my layout's benchwork laid. Are they worth the $40 bucks? or should I just keep browsing ebay for some cheap motive power?

anyone have any experiance with the "Trainline" RTR stuff from Walthers? I'm just thinking of picking up one as something to use until I have my layout's benchwork laid. Are they worth the $40 bucks? or should I just keep browsing ebay for some cheap motive power?

I have 4 Trainline engines that I have been running for about 4 years. They have plenty of power, run smooth & are quiet.

Larry

Walthers RTR are good engines for the price. They are not that detailed and the paint is sometimes heavy, but they run and pull very well. I've got 3 F40PH's that I put decoders in, including one with sound. I'm very happy with how they run.

They are Walther's competitor to the Atlas Trainman line, just to confuse things further. They are a good deal for the money beacause you are getting the P2K line chassis and motor inexpensively because the shell doesn't have the intricate detail of the more expensive engine. They run fine and you can either leave them as is or do what we all used to do in the old days - buy detail parts and detail it yourself. Everyone should have the pleasure of trying to get 8 grab irons evenly spaced and straight. :)

Jim, I'd think thats the opposite way around. Walthers had Trainline LONG before Atlas had Trainman, not that it matters much.

I dunno where you're getting the P2K chassis in Trainline from, unless its a new thing I missed, my GP15-1 was out before P2K was much of anything, and long before atlas did the Silver/Gold, much less the Trainman line.

However, enough with the frivolous details. I love my GP15-1, its the only RTR on the market, though you an get a Smokey Valley one. It runs sweet and looks great.

Cn Trailine

Here's a CN GP-9 from Walther's :) ;)

100_0148.png

100_0145.png

Josh, I don't recall saying which company made what first, I said that Walther's Trainline is a competitor to the Atlas Trainman series. The GP-9M and the FP40H have the same motor and driveline as P2K models. I don't know anything about the MP-15, not having seen one without the shell, but I don't think it's the same concept as a Trainine engine. I think the money was spent mostly on the new shell and better detailing. The GP-9M and FP40H shells are based on existing Life-Like shells with some limited detailing upgrades but most of the money wnt into a beter motor and driveline.

Ahhh, I'll have to get me a new F40PH then. I wasn't completely happy with the GP9M, as it was a wide body, and the motor in that was was crappy. However my GP15-1 does not have a P2K chassis, drive, or anything like it, looks completely different, though mine was made long before Walthers got Life-Like.

OldGettysk , I think you mean CP instead of CN. That's the engine I'm thinking of picking up though. I'd be detailing in to look like CP 8208, a GP9 that's sits on a siding every night here in St. Thomas....

Yeah that's what I meant , I also have a Athearn CN so a bit confusing . P.S that Wathers is a nice quiet runner !

I found this Walther's San Diego Coaster and just love it. Sure did need some detail work in which I did most of it so far but it runs great and I can't complain.
ModelTrains014.png

Nice work Zac! Nice to see the coaster running on someone's layout!

Thanks Josh. As you can see I still need to add some more details to it. The poor thing has been put on the back burner for some time now since I have been working on my MRL and BNSF fleets.

Picture367.png

Here's my GP9 with some optional extras. I am quite pleased with the unit and got it on sale from Walthers last fall for $25. Like Josh said, it is a little wide and the handrails sit a little lower than they should, but with some details it can be a nice looking unit. The weight is good and it does a fine job for yard switching and local service.

img1270fk1.jpg

I have a GP9. It was the first loco I ever did a DCC decoder install on. Was as easy as it could possibly by. I think it took all of 10min.

I taped the decoder under the rear bridge weight....

I wouldn't mind getting another one to do a sound decoder install.......

Kennedy

Here's my GP9 with some optional extras. I am quite pleased with the unit and got it on sale from Walthers last fall for $25. Like Josh said, it is a little wide and the handrails sit a little lower than they should, but with some details it can be a nice looking unit. The weight is good and it does a fine job for yard switching and local service.

img1270fk1.jpg

that's a great loco there Zephyr! I plan on detailing it if I get one. There's one on Ebay right now (CP, the one I want) for the Buy-It-Now price of $33. plus $6 shipping (loco itself is $40 from Walthers)....I think I might pick it up...

Back