Walthers ADM Grain Elevator

I say go for it! It's look really nice, while your at it, add some spilt grain on the scene where the elevator will be.

Funny you should ask..I just finished this today! :D
GrainElevatorFinal.png

GrainElevatorFinal2.png

In the Philly area, the grain elevators were always either painted a light color or natural concrete with a color similar to that of a sidewalk. Most have been demolished but a couple of old hulks are still around.

Really nice job Miles.....love the design, and great weathering job........BUT, you seldom see concrete elevators around here that aren't painted white.Sometimes the paint is peeling and faded, and you can see the concrete showing through, but there's still white paint. Somewhat depends on the activity level at the elevator for the upkeep level.

Nice job, Miles. It seems to be more common on the west coast to see grain elevators left in natural concrete complete with the lift lines and weathering like you see in Miles' model. As I travelled further east, I did notice that grain elevators were more often painted white or off-white and often had some colorful logos as well. I have the feeling that grain elevators in the midwest were painted and generally well-kept because they were the centerpiece of many small towns. In California, they were strictly utilitarian and weren't subject to the weather extremes seen on the plains so painting was rare. I do kind of like the white painted look. I can remember traveling along the highway as the sun was setting and seeing some of those prairie skyscrapers gleaming in the sunset as much as 10 miles out of town. Just seemed to be a perfect picture of the breadbasket of America at the time.

Back