Using chalk to weather?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

Now I am starting on the scenery of the layout and getting to the buildings. All of my buildings are built-ups and are very good; however, I was thinking about weathering some of them using chalk so when (note I said when, not if) I mess them up I can clean the chalk off.

My problem is how to get the chalk to stick to the plastic in the first place?

Yip....
The way I do 'birds', camouflage, matt coat, weather with chalks (using a brush) and what not, when happy, clear with gloss, on with the decals and then another coat of gloss or what one prefer....

In this case, if painted, just add a matt coat, use your chalks to weather, when you're happy with the result...another coat of matt to lock it all in...

The only chalks I've found stick well to plastic are the bragdon chalks.Then again I haven't weathered much on plastics.

Bragdon and others are not chalks, they are weathering powders. They come with a built in adhesive that is activated by rubbing the powder on the surface. Way better than chalks.

Tony,

Some thoughts, you need a flat (as in non gloss) surface for maximum adhesion of the weathering products as the previous member mentioned. However, if completely flat, then cleaning up is more difficult. I use weathering (artist) pastels all the time in the aircraft (1/48) that i build and they really work, but i use them in combination with airbrushed effects and various wash effects. You could also check out various weathering products that scale armor (tanks) modellers use. They have a great range of weathering products (rust, wooden surfaces, various types of dust etc...)

Tony, I had my first go at weathering powders/chalks not to long ago and it's not that difficult. I watched a video on YouTube and he roughed the plastic up with paper towels first, applied chalks and sealed with hairspray or clear coat. I used hairspray on mine and they came out good (or at least I thought so). Mine are also very basic, I'm going to add rust streaks and paint patches next my next go.

Hope this helps, I'll add the link to the video shortly. These were my first attempts....

7d6606f3a40ece2e90d063e5934a5b2f.jpg

d7f4e9e4630346c10c8cfc98b80589a6.jpg

206ecbcc7edb17eb9c2a0548689fbbbf.jpg

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also put multiple layers on whatever it is your weathering. There are some videos that show the artist putting on one layer, then clear coat, then another layer, then clear coat, and so on. I do not do this as I am not experienced enough to know what each layer should look like. That method requires you to know what it will look like at the end before you even begin.

Not suggesting you try this, but the idea is worth knowing. I've screwed up before and simply started over by painting over the top of a clear coat and starting from scratch. It wasn't my best piece of work, but it was a piece of work. Looks good from far away!!

This was weathered using plain artist pastels. The model isn't coated with anything over top of the pastel. The solid rust on the roof, trucks, exhaust and couplers is pastel mixed with hairspray and painted on the model. In other places it is used dry. I rub it in really good with a Q-tip and brush away the excess. I then rub it in even better with my finger(I wear rubber gloves for this part). Once it is rubbed in good, it doesn't come off easily, but with a lot of handling, after time it will fade out. This technique is used for the black on the model. It ends up looking like the black around the door handle on the cab. I just give it a little more to touch it up if needed. I usually don't weather it, where I pick the model up, so this usually isn't a problem for me. For really heavily weathered cars I usually will give the car a thinned out coat of Dullcote to seal it. I have a few different types of weathering powders as well, but I hardly ever use them, except to tint the color of the pastels. The powders stick with a bit less effort, but for the popular powders, I have a hard time justifying the price when cheap pastels work fine for me. The main thing in applying pastels is to have a flat, not shiny surface, to put your powders on. Nothing will stick well to a shiny surface. If you are painting the model, a couple coats of acrylic paint is all that is needed. If you are weathering a factory painted model give it a light coat of dullcoat or similar product before you start weathering. If you are going to be handling the cars a lot, I recommend a coat of clear over the top as others have mentioned, but if you are even a little careful, it shouldn't come off. I don't coat most of my models, because I like the look better without the clear. Dust looks dustier and rust seems to look rustier. Hope this this makes at least some sense and helps you out a bit. Ron

Attachments

• schnozzer 5.jpg
    schnozzer 5.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Ron's pics1 960 (Large).jpg
    Ron's pics1 960 (Large).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 221
Lots of good advice and suggestions guys, thank you. So basically, chalk/artists pastels are fine, a flat surface (not shiny) and to seal the end result with hair spray or clear or dullcote. Is that about it in a nutshell, less the actual how to details?

Thanks Ron.

All I have to do now is remove the existing paint, although from the looks of it, it is the plastic that is red and the only things that are painted are the cupola roof and the silver things ontop of the caboose. As you can tell, I am extremely Caboose knowledgeable :)

Assuming that the plastic IS red plastic, I should be able to paint straight over that with a primer. Only things I will need to remove are the two little decals, one on either side. Last night I tried using 91% alcohol, but that didn't do a thing so today I bought some alcohol burning fuel that apparently does a great job and is quick.

Thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it and will start an appropriate thread for this rebuild? modification? upgrade? or just plain mess :)

WHEN I get all the other jobs done on my roster, I will be making a start on weathering using some weathering powders I bought several years ago. I have used them on a previous layout and they work very well (and can be washed off if messed up!)

Alan,

Thanks, I was actually looking at the Bragdon powders, they don't seem to be expensive and can be bought in kits. Could be a good investment.

Cannot remember what make mine are. Bought them from a model shop many years ago. I have all sorts of colours - surprising how many you can use for realistic effect.

I am sure of it Alan, especially after looking at some of the guys work here. I'm also guessing that these powders do not "go off" or have a shelf life, from what you are saying, or don't you know yet?

Back