Update from RI's Ft. Worth Paint Shop

New Photos!!

I'm about ready to install the front handrails. I'm hand painting these instead of airbrushing and it's going so well that I may hand paint all of them. I gave up on installing operational ditch lights.:( I'm just not to that level yet. I patched the holes with Squadron Green and installed the factory (P2K) dummy lights. Maybe down the road I'll come back to this.

I applied the GM builders decal but now I need some help. I need to know where to install the Fuel, High Voltage, Fire Extinguisher, etc decals. There wasn't a lot if info with the decals and I can't find much online. Any help appreciated here!

I have learned MANY lessons on 5120 that won't be repeated in 5055 and 5066. Overall I'm very happy with my first attempt here.

Wow, those SOBs are really coming along nice, macjet! You certainly did an admirable job on getting the stripes to fit into the grills. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks. This has been a lot of work with a lot of lessons learned. Just a few more details on the shell and I can start looking at how to remove the trucks for painting. Probably around the first of December I'll have it done, decoder installed, and ready to take to the club. I'm anxious to see it run.

5055 is coming next followed by 5066. I'm still debating what my four axle power will be besides some very weathered blue 38-2's. I'm considering some GP40X's but I'm still not too sure.

^ so have you and Zephyr worked out a common roster yet?

I have his spreadsheet showing the number assignments to different locomotives and I am working with him to avoid any duplicates. Zephyr is a big GE fan while I am partial to EMD. That said, his original list included most of the EMD products that I wanted to model. He already had at least one SD60 so the addition of my two SD60's and one SD60M fit in nicely. His roster also includes the SD70MAC, GP38-2, GP35, SD40-2, and SD45T-2. So, there is a lot of modeling potential here for just about everything. Now we just need to figure out if our RI rebuilt their GP38-2's or ordered new GP40's.

I'd like to join in on this party, but I'm waiting for the T55 ACe's before I reveal my modern day fallen flag.

I'd like to join in on this party, but I'm waiting for the T55 ACe's before I reveal my modern day fallen flag.

Welcome aboard! Somebody has to keep the what ifs going. My layout will run Santa Fe, Rock Island, and Farmrail. The irony is that Farmrail never would have come into existence if the RI hadn't gone bankrupt. So, I've got one fallen flag running modern equipment interchanging with a short line that never would have come about if they had stayed in business. That ought to drive the prototypical nuts nuts!:D

macjet, I would say if you want to go with GP40Xs, then go for it! I think a mix of those and rebuilt GP38-2s would be nice. I am planning to add some GP7 high-noses and U28Bs to the mix as well, mostly for yard power. Currently, I have a rebuilt GP38-2 (GP38-3?) and an older GP38-2 (in the blue/white) on my roster. They make for a nice contrast.

Also, feel free to add any locomotives that aren't on my roster as I basically compiled a list of locomotives that I know of and that I plan to build - it is by no means a complete list. I think we should get together every few months and update a joint roster as we progress with out motor projects.

Zephyr, will the modern RI utilize the CRIP or ROCK freight car reporting marks? I'm still planning a fleet of new covered hoppers.

macjet, I have been using the R.I. reporting marks on my freight cars thus far. I think it's a nice excape from the ROCK days and I am staying away from CRIP. Plus, R.I. marks are readily available on existing Microscale decal sheets.

img0025xi0.jpg

R.I. works for me. That car looks great. I've considered the data only cars from Accurail but they only come in gray. I still think that I want to do my covered hoppers in either mineral red or oxide. This will probably be a spring or summer project. I probably ought to start tracking down some decal sheets now.

I'm still looking for some info on where to put the High Voltage, Fire Extinguisher, Fuel, etc decals on my SD60's. If you have any leads on info I'd appreciate it.

5055 and 5066 go under the paint gun tonight!

R.I. works for me. That car looks great. I've considered the data only cars from Accurail but they only come in gray. I still think that I want to do my covered hoppers in either mineral red or oxide. This will probably be a spring or summer project. I probably ought to start tracking down some decal sheets now.

I'm still looking for some info on where to put the High Voltage, Fire Extinguisher, Fuel, etc decals on my SD60's. If you have any leads on info I'd appreciate it.

5055 and 5066 go under the paint gun tonight!
Boswer has Data Only cars too... As for Diesel, check out Microscale's list of Diesel Data sheets.

For general RI freight cars, I use these decals for the reporting marks, numbers, and larger logos:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...ode=87-19&Category_Code=CRIP&Product_Count=10
You can get smaller logos from this nice caboose set:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...e=87-1229&Category_Code=CRIP&Product_Count=41
As for the data, in the past I have just bought cars already in the mineral red, like for Santa Fe, MoPac, or beansniff, then I rub off the logos and reporting marks and put mine on. This saves a lot of time, and for freight cars, it works great.

But if you really want to paint your own hoppers, I would recommend finding a set for another road name that has covered hoppers specifically, like this Santa Fe set:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...de=87-791&Category_Code=ATSF&Product_Count=18
I have used this for a hopper that I ended up repainting. This way you get all data, and then you use the Rock Island stuff from the freight set.

For the SD60 data, this set may work, although the instructions are a little vague on where exactly to place the data:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...ode=87-527&Category_Code=EMD&Product_Count=21

For the SD60 data, this set may work, although the instructions are a little vague on where exactly to place the data:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...ode=87-527&Category_Code=EMD&Product_Count=21

That is the exact decal set that I have. And you are right, the instructions are vague and most are unreadable.

I would prefer just to replace reporting marks and heralds instead of micro detailing 12-18 cars. I may look into buying the ATSF cars and removing the marks. But I'm also considering buying the gray data only cars from Accurail and putting black reporting marks on with Champs black and white 36" RI herald.

5120 is done! Well, I say that. There are still a few detail items left but it is ready for the rails and I plan on trying to program it Tuesday. Hopefully it will be in revenue service soon.

Back