Update from RI's Ft. Worth Paint Shop

macjet

Here is the latest progress on RI's SD60M number 5120. I didn't quit get the numbers perfectly centered under the window but they are straight. It's taking several coats of Micro Set to get the white stripe to lay down on the grills on the long hood. More updates to follow.

Very nice macjet! I thought it was Zephyr's posting at first, and I was like, "Wait a minute, he never told me about an SD60M!" Then I saw it was you, hehe...

You've done a very good job at capturing the essence of the modern Rock Island. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Smashing good work there macjet! You are coming along very nicely and the paint and decals look very professional.

A tip on the white stripes: after the micro set dries, try gently cutting the decal sections in the grills with an x-acto knife. Then apply another coat of micro set, and it settles in better. On some of my grills, I go back over with a brush and Reefer White paint to fill in any gaps after I am done with the decals. This ensures your decals stay flush against the surface and won't flake off.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Great job, Mac. That white stripe has to be a pain. Zephyr has some good suggestions about how to handle any long decal stripe that has to settle down over a lot curves and bumps - and there's plenty of those on a SD60M :)

Actually, you shouldn't worry about the white stripes in the grills since, ideally, you will darken the insides of the grills with flat black paint to simulate grime.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to ruin one large ROCK ISLAND and one RI Herald during my learning process. This was after I had already practiced with the smaller Rock Island decals on a U-boat.

I'll try that cutting idea over the grills. Too many of these suggestions are just common sense that I don't ever seem to think of. Keep them coming.

I've got two other units ready to paint except that one is missing a large grill right behind the cab. I managed to send this one down the garbage disposal. :mad: First lesson: don't wash parts over the sink. Walthers is sending parts but I don't know if this one is in the pack.

The other one I just got off of ebay and it is missing all the windows and light bars. jbaakko said that I could make some windows. I can see how that would work. I'm not real sure how I'd replace the lights and number boards.

I really wish I'd quit losing parts.

I'm really liking the Genesis bulbs myself... I'm not sure what kind of lighting set up the P2K SD60M's have, I've never torn my BNSF one apart.

I've got two other units ready to paint except that one is missing a large grill right behind the cab. I managed to send this one down the garbage disposal. :mad: First lesson: don't wash parts over the sink. Walthers is sending parts but I don't know if this one is in the pack.

Just put a plug in the sink while you're washing parts and put a tupperware bin over that to make sure nothing goes down the drain (ask me why I take such precautions!).

I'm just glad I don't have carpet in the house anymore. I lost countless parts in carpet over the years. Of course, with wood floors parts seem to defy the laws of physics and fly farther than you could imagine when they hit the floor.

Here is the latest progress on RI's SD60M number 5120. I didn't quit get the numbers perfectly centered under the window but they are straight. It's taking several coats of Micro Set to get the white stripe to lay down on the grills on the long hood. More updates to follow.

That looks GREAT! Once I have applied my decals to anything I use that micro set and a damp cue-tip to work out the air pockets. If that isn't getting them out I get into the wifees sawing basket and grab one of her needles. I look forward to seeing it in action.

My parts from the ebay seller came in today and all but one little back cab window was in there! I've got one that is close from a GP20 that will work. I was really suprised that the light bars were in there. What a save.

I was in Houston today and scored two more 87-18 decal sets. I went to three different shops and all I found was two. I'll be in Vegas this weekend and I'm going to look out there for some more. These things are getting tough to find.

The hoods and cab are put together and I've got the grab irons and the number boards put in. I messed up the stripping on the walkway portion that I'm having to strip and redo. As soon as I get that repaired I can put this thing back together and the only paint left will be the trucks. This thing might actually see track time by the end of the year. Oh yeah, I also broke off a firecracker antenna that I have to replace.

Wow, nice work! Looks like you're moving along fine!

As for Las Vegas, you're on partial luck. As for 2 years ago there was nothing more then a Hobby Lobby there, but now there's more real hobby stores (just check Model Railroader's directory!), however, with the recently opened stores, there might now be much, hope you're lucky!

The only store that I've located is the Train Exchange on the east side. I've got two days to kill out there so I'll have a look and see what they have.

The hardest decal job was the little "F" on the front of the cab. Too much Micro Set and the thing would spin in circles and too little and it wouldn't move. The number boards were easy once I gave up on the brush and moved them into place with a damp tooth pick.

Model Railroader lists the following for Vegas:
Hobby Town USA
5085 W. Sahara, Ste #134

The Train Engineer - West
2960 S. Durango #117

There are no Rock Island decals in Las Vegas. In fact, they are kind of insulted that anyone would consider modeling the RI. Too many SP fans I guess.:rolleyes:

Thanks. I still have to touch up some decal stripes to get them to lay down a little better. After looking at Zephyr's units I've also decided to paint the short hood roof grab irons in white. I think that looks good. A little bit of work on the walkway and painting the trucks and this unit will be ready to see some track time.

The next two units will be regular SD60's. I've got two P2K's ready to go to paint. One was an Oakway demo that I stripped (I'll never do that again) and the second is an undecorated unit.

Back