Untreated Crosstie Handling

This spur track is actually for a propane gas company, but I haven't seen any of those with a car of propane in ages, in my areas anyway.

There is a plywood plant not far from this siding. I presume the middle of the tree is cut to size, and thrown into a gondola.
attachment.php

You can barely make out the untreated ties in each of the gondolas. The ties are running long ways in the gons.

The ties are then removed from the gondolas with a log loader, stacked, and banded. There is also a rough terrain fork lift at the location, to stack the bundles.

attachment.php

I feel the tie bundles are loaded onto trucks, rather than back onto a railcar. The stack is just about the amount a flatbed could hold.

If you could find the log loader and all terrain forklift, then you could easily turn an empty corner of your layout into this operation.

James

Around here, were haul MOW gons full of untreated ties. There is a Tie yard on one of our branch lines and we get several cars a week from there.

Where is that tie yard? Perhaps it can be found on Google Earth or the Bing Aerial view.

These photos are from CSX, though I've seen a similar NS MOW gon with the same ties near a different plywood plant. I didn't see the stacking location, just the waiting gondola.

I never got photos of it, but I can think of a location on the NS where hardwood logs are loaded onto NS log cars and shipped, and had heard that they were for ties.

James

Where is that tie yard? Perhaps it can be found on Google Earth or the Bing Aerial view.

These photos are from CSX, though I've seen a similar NS MOW gon with the same ties near a different plywood plant. I didn't see the stacking location, just the waiting gondola.

I never got photos of it, but I can think of a location on the NS where hardwood logs are loaded onto NS log cars and shipped, and had heard that they were for ties.

James

It on the CF line, running south east from Greensboro NC. On Google Maps/Earth...follow Hwy 421 from Greensboro south. You see a couple of small towns, Bonlee and Goldston. Zoom in and you'll see Hwy 902 crossing 421. Go north from there maybe a 1/4 mile following the track. It's called the Asheboro Tie yard, even though it's a long way from Asheboro.

These were taken several years ago. One is of the tie yard it's self, another was just a shot I took in the snow and we happened to have some of the tie gons behind our engine.

4910474697_f4912e29f9_b.jpg

4910479893_d7ba4e4d51_b.jpg

Inflammable, where did you take those photos? The DM&E hopper was a sight for sore eyes. I used to watch them roll by once a day, hooked up to a local, back in '02. Usually had some lumber cars in the consist.

Thanks, nsconductor. The tie yard looks very interesting, yet, very basic. Sheds for storage, large equipment, and a centerbeam for sending out the tie bundles. Thank you for posting them. I'll search down that location for the satellite view.

James

I found these photos in a different folder than the first ones.
attachment.php

That's a log loader to the left. I knew there was a reason I thought that the ties were shipped on trucks.
attachment.php

Model Railroader would call those ties a 'Typical Bumping Post of industries like this.' I wonder if they work, or just look good.
attachment.php

That looks like a far reach, to pluck the ties out of the gons, carry them over here, and then band them. Perhaps these stacks have damaged ties or something like that.
attachment.php

Just a little shed/office at the location.

Asheboro Tie Yard is the location NS Conductor shared. There appears to be colored mulch or stone to the left in the tie yard. Extra income?

James

I think they do have a little "yard type" stuff out there so sell to the general public. As far as those tie "bumping blocks".....thats what they use around here for the most part. They work if they aren't hit too hard. It's what I'm going to model on my layout for bumping blocks.

Back