Unlocking the Proto 1000 DL109 Trucks

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

I have a number of these HO DL109 engines and have never taken the trucks apart to inspect them for gear lubricant, nor electrical contacts.
Can someone tell me how to gain access without over stressing any of the plastic covers, snaps, etc. ??

beiland

I finally got the bottom 'panel' off by a combination of simultaneous actions,...seems as though the 'clamping ends' of that bottom panel need to pulled out of the sideframes , then lifted up while prying the sideframes out from the body.

Here are some photos,..
DSCF8772.jpg DSCF8773.jpg DSCF8774.jpg DSCF8778.jpg DSCF8779.jpg

I did not notice excessive lubrication in there.

I do believe it would probably be a good idea to solder those connecting wires on the metal plates,

And I think it might be a good idea to run a pencil around in each of those axle holes to apply a little carbon?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.