Under table turnout issue

expresshockey35

I probably should have considered this before I planned my benchwork, but now I'm stuck. I purchased a bunch of Atlas under table machines, and would like to stick with them. However, my benchwork is too thick. It's 1/2" plywood with a 1" foam board glued to the top. Add the thickness of roadbed and I'm off by a bit. Anybody have any suggestions to make this work?

Can you add an extension to the throw rods? Maybe replace with wire? How about some heat shrink tubing to hold on an extension to the existing rod? Chisel out some of the plywood?

Yow! I did much the same by buying a bunch of them at a show. Most of them had already been trimmed so they appeared useless, the ones that tips weren't nipped sort of flexed and presented too much leverage to the switch machine.
Now my base was 3/4" ply and cork roadbed. What I did was cut the more off the plastic actuating tip so that I had a solid base to drill a small hole. I then cut the heads off some steel common pins (dress maker stuff) drilled the holes the diameter of the pin, cemented the pin into the drilled hole.
You can only increase the length so far before it has enough leverage to over come the switch machine.

Cheers
Willis

You can also do what a friend of mine did to his. He glued the switch machines directly to the underside of his turnouts. He did have to cut out some clearance underneath the track for the machines to work properly, have room for the wires, etc. But this worked for him very well.

all awesome ideas...but today I bit the bullet and bought Tortoise machines. $160 well spent! Thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone wants some Atlas under tables at a cheap price, PM me.

Back