Two layer roomful

chris30901

Salute the Fallen Flags
I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the HO scale layout, "Two Layer Roomful". I am set on doing this but I wanted to see if anyone had attempted it before. BTW: the track plan is in the book "Model Railroad Track Plan Book" by John Armstrong, page 152-155. The book was published in 1980. Or so my copy was. Thanks to all who help :D

Have you tried typing that in at google.com? You can find lots of different layouts using this search engine.

Not sure if your interested in any other double deck layouts, but if you type in double deck layouts or similar you will find a variety of layouts.

Have you tried typing that in at google.com? You can find lots of different layouts using this search engine.

Not sure if your interested in any other double deck layouts, but if you type in double deck layouts or similar you will find a variety of layouts.

I did that before I posted this, and seeing that this is a model railroad forum, I figured someone would have something.

Tony Koester has a book out on Multiple Deck layouts. Not sure it has many track plans in it, but it does give ideas about construction techniques and lighting, etc. I still like the Dover Hill Western as a double deck plan-could be adapted into a lot of places. It is 22x15, however.

Thanks for being so helpful on my research on a specific track plan, pointing me to other books than what I'm looking for really helped! Yeah, thanks alot for the very little help. Maybe reading my question again would help.

If you are looking for answers, generally you get better results having a good attitude. When you come off with your bad attitude that your having, im sure someone that may know your answer or have pictures of this layout may not help you.

I know i dont help anyone that isnt respectful!!! And im sure others feel the same way!

Like otiscnj suggested your probably better off looking for something else, obviously the book you have isnt helpful to you so why not try looking elsewhere, but im sure you hope pictures will just fall out of the sky for you....

Btw merry xmas

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I bought that book when it came out in 1980, and no, in the time since, I've not seen any completed layout articles or photos based on that plan, in any of the assorted magazines that have been published since then-to answer your question. You might ask over in the Model Railroad Hobbyst forum, as they might have more extensive experience than I. Another good forum I've found with knowledgeable modelers is the Railroad Line forum, or the Train Life forum, which specializes in out of print publications, as I understand it. John Armstrong had a strong relationship with the folks at Kalmback Publishing, so you might also try the Model Railroader website, too.

FWIW, Tony's book had some photos of layout that I haven't seen plastered all over the model railroad press, which is why I mentioned that particular publicaiton.

Sorry I can't be of more help-Happy Holidays!

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the HO scale layout, "Two Layer Roomful". I am set on doing this but I wanted to see if anyone had attempted it before. BTW: the track plan is in the book "Model Railroad Track Plan Book" by John Armstrong, page 152-155. The book was published in 1980. Or so my copy was. Thanks to all who help :D

Do you have a photo of the cover of that book that you mentioned? i can't seem to find one.

Could you post a photo of what that two-layer track plan looks like,....and general size of it??

I ran across a real neat two-layer room layout I will post for you in a day or so.

Would you post a picture of the track plan? Maybe someone has done a similar layout but does not recognize the name. Sounds interesting. We can also help you in fitting a layout to your room size.

Steve

My grandfather had one before he passed. My uncle tore it down due to he wanted to make the room into something else. It was amazeing. I wish I had pics to show you.
Pete,

For anyone who wants to get this book, Amazon.com lists 12 sellers with prices ranging from $35 to $347.40.

HES ALIVE!!!! Where have ya been hidin out for the last few months??

lol yeah I just got laid off, so back to the trains! We just got the tables painted and have all the stuff together, so tomorrow we will bolt the tables together and start laying out the track.

For anyone who wants to get this book, Amazon.com lists 12 sellers with prices ranging from $35 to $347.40.

Thank you for the link, I was actually hoping to check it out

Do you have a photo of the cover of that book that you mentioned? i can't seem to find one.

Could you post a photo of what that two-layer track plan looks like,....and general size of it??

I ran across a real neat two-layer room layout I will post for you in a day or so.

In all of the links posted thus far, and when I google it (I still DO NOT see an image of the book's cover ??

Nor have I seen ANY image of the trackplan??

So I'm in the dark as to what you are 'seriously considering' ....to make it worth my time to suggest another two-layer, roomfull layout?? (Do you not have a scanner?, or some method of posting a picture??)

Do you perhaps mean this book?
View attachment 34182
If so your quoted 'plan' should have been plural, and 'book' should not have been included in the title.

Or did you see the cover HERE

WOW, I just found a whole bunch of trackplans !! HERE

Two-Layer, Roomful

So now I've got myself confused, ...even with my own postings :)

Here is a little history of discussion in this subject thread:

Do you perhaps mean this book?
View attachment 34182
Or did you see the cover HERE
Did we ever really determine where this layout plan was printed,...and exacting which one he was referring to??

Here is a description of a 2-layer layout that I had saved on my computer, but I forgot to include the exact link to the particular layout:
I'm considering small room-sized layouts for use overseas in a townhouse. In my search back thru numerous publications I've collected over the years, and with the very numerous plans available on the internet, I singled this one particular two-layer, room-size layout design from a 26 year old publication 'Building Your Next Model Railroad'.

It starts out presenting the building of an action packed switching scene on a 2 x 8 shelf layout (or might be two, 2 x 4 modules). It then proceeds to incorporate that 2 x 8 scene into a compact small room-size layout that makes maximum use of the full room size (aisle in the middle). Furthermore it is double-layered for running even longer trains (10 foot long trains can pass one another!).

Some hi-lites about this two-layer, room-size layout.

1) It is designed to fit into room sizes,
a) the larger 10' 9” by 11' 9”
b) the smaller 8' 9” by 9' 9” (2' smaller on each side)

2) It is designed to squeeze as much mainline operation as possible in as small a space as possible. Trains as long as 10.5 feet can pass one another. You can route an endless number of complete trains through the 'visible' portion of the layout from either 'east' or 'west', and what you'll see is precisely what you would see in the real world; a parade of trains running just as though they really did come from somewhere (outside your modeled world) and going to some distant destination (also outside your modeled world). All that hidden trackage makes such operations possible by simply throwing a few remote turnouts (and block switches, if only DC controlled).

3) The nominal minimum radius curve is 24 inches. That's exactly the radius of only the outside curve between Kirk and Kalmath falls. The inner curves are 21.5 inches radius on the hidden reverse loop, and in the upper right and lower left corners of the visible upper level. You could make those inner curves 22 inches, but long passenger cars and articulated steam locos could hit one another with only 2 inch spacing on the curves.

4) There are fairly stiff 2.5 percent grades on this layout, another compromise needed to squeeze mainline operations into such a small space.

5) One of the confusing aspects of the plan when squeezing so much operation into such a small space is the need for some tracks (particularly in the 3 corners opposite the doorway) to be placed directly above one another. If you use open grid style bench work, 1 x 2 supports shaped like football goal post can support the upper level plywood sub-roadbed. (build lower level track first, test and prove it, then add upper level). You can access those lower level tracks from both beneath the layout, and from the 3 hidden access holes that will not be blocked by any scenery at this lower level.

The plan shows the sky backdrop curving in front of all 3 of those access areas at the upper level. Its suggested that one curve of the sky backdrop around the corners of the room, and extend the hills above eye level so just the tops of the hills hide the forward edges of the access holes. That is obviously a lot easier to accomplish if you are modeling the Rockies rather than recreating Kansas.
If this description does not fit the layout originally brought up in this subject thread, then perhaps someone can lead me to the specific layout being described/...maybe a link to the specific layout plan(s) in 'google images' ??

WOW, I just found a whole bunch of trackplans !! HERE

Back