Tuxedo Dave's Formal Wear & Chainsaw Sharpening

Those are some nice buildings. It's gone now but one of my favorite signs in Rainier, OR was one that advertised "Groceries, Tanning and Saw Sharpening."

When tanning was mentioned I imagined it meant leather tanning, but the sign also says "and toning". At the other end there appears to be a representation of a hamburger, Sure had a lot of strings to their bow in that establishment.

When tanning was mentioned I imagined it meant leather tanning, but the sign also says "and toning". At the other end there appears to be a representation of a hamburger, Sure had a lot of strings to their bow in that establishment.

That makes sense. Looks like you can rent a movie and get popcorn too.

I've been making some (slow) progress on these two houses. I added an addition to the left side of one house.

100_8715-vi.jpg

I guess this would be considered a dormer.

100_8708-vi.jpg

I made front porches for both houses. Most of the stuff is made out of strips of wood and paper. The porch posts are "fancy" toothpicks. The roofing material is paper. The trim is paper I cut with scissors that cut patterns.

100_8754-vi.jpg

I added a bunch of pictures: http://public.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/davetown/tuxedo-daves-formal/

What unusual toothpicks, must've known you'd want them :cool:. Those wiggly scissors are called Pinking Shears, seamters/seamtresses used to use them to prevent the edges of material from fraying before overlockers became common. I remember my mother had a pair and me getting into trouble from cutting paper with them. Apparently expensive to sharpen.

Mr. Dave, you do great work and thank you so much for the extra pictures. I'm learning a heap, here, as you go and I really do appreciate it.

Really outstanding work Dave. I've used erasers for signs also. Whenever neighborhood kids stop in they spot them for what they are right away. I had found a cheap assortment of burger and fries and the like. I've ended up giving the extras away as parting gifts to the young ones.

I really like the Linka Molds but have had problems getting the "tiles" to come out cleanly. Thanks for letting us know how you do it and what you use.

Your buildings are really first rate and very impressive.

I got the base laid out and used masking tape where the buildings go. There's a layer of dirt and then a layer of grass.

100_8768-vi.jpg

The tape leaves a pretty clean line so I stuck the buildings to the base with a generous amount of clear Silicone. After it dried there were a few spots where I had to clean up excess Silicone and add a little more dirt and grass.

100_8772-vi.jpg

The spot between the tuxedo building and the chainsaw building looked a little empty so I made a small shed with stuff from my scrap box.

100_8775-vi.jpg

With the shed in place I made a fence around the chainsaw building. The posts are aluminum tubing with a hole drilled for the bar across the top. Those are stiff metal wire that I found somewhere. The fence is plastic window screen from the hardware store. The gate is made from a piece of brass rod that I bent and soldered.

100_8790-vi.jpg

I added a white picket fence around the one house. I thought it made it look a little nicer. The fence is Atlas. I got it cheap at a train show a while ago.

100_8784-vi.jpg

I still have to do more weathering and age the concrete, add more grass and a couple trees along with a bunch of details.

More pictures: ---> http://public.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/davetown/tuxedo-daves-formal/

So the landlord lives in the fancy house and the tenants in the other. Nicely positioned so he can keep tabs on his commercial investments as well.

I got some landscaping done and made some trees.

100_8800-vi.jpg

100_8797-vi.jpg

I got this car at a train show along with a couple others. I think I paid a dollar for a hand full of cars that were painted badly and screwed up. This one was red and white. I took it apart, stripped it and repainted it.

100_8802-vi.jpg

While I was waiting for glue and paint to dry I made 62 birdhouses. I figured I'd stock up on them so I don't have to make any for a while.

100_88082-vi.jpg

Started working on a few of the details. I made a tire pump.

100_88092-vi.jpg

100_88093-vi.jpg

Back