Tunnel cover

frolf_king

Train Roll on
Newby here...

I am starting a layout for the first time so I am not sure on a lot of what i am doing. I don't have a theme yet but I know I want it to be mountainous and rural in general. I built a tunnel out of particle board and now I want to cover it to make it look like a mountain. What would be the easiest way to do that?

Here are couple pics.

There are a few ways but I did mine the same way. Just crunch up newspaper in balls and stack them up to form the sides and top and secure them with tape. Then cover the newspaper with plaster cloth. After the cloth is dry color it and add trees, foliage, rocks etc. Try to keep the tunnel entrance clear and pre-fit it with a portal.

Another method - 1" strips of corrugated cardboard cut from large boxes, stapled to frame, covered with strips of newspaper dipped through plaster of Paris, glue and wetwater.

Strongly urge you have access to the back/bottom of the tunnel. Derailments, bad track, Murphy will require access but only after all scenery is in place.

Regards,
Jon
http://www.dollhousedesigns.com/ModelRR/ModelRR.html

I to know mr. Murphy quite well. I have several short tunnels that lead to other scenes some are only a foot long but come ou on the other side of the layout giving the impression that they have quite a bit of length I have an example on my home page album if you want to look this tunnel is only 7 " long but the train just dissapears for over 40 seconds. shawn tunnel rat

Hi Shawn have you given thought to access inside that tunnel if something should go wrong (Murphy says it will). It seems to be fairly long. If the layout could be moved from the wall and perhaps an access cut out. Just something to keep in mind.

Click-->
th_107-0722_IMG.jpg

On this tunnel access to the track and area was from beneath the bench, accessible, but not comfortable.

Cheers
Willis

Hi jon I am new to these forums, not sure how to post a link, but if you just click on my name shawn63, tunnel rat, then hit personal profile the pics are in my album , still learning how yo do all this computer stuff. If that dosent get you there I have about 15 pics on my face book page shawnmyers63@yahoo.com. let me know what happens thanks shawn

Thanks, Ed.
Shawn - very nice modeling, good detail. Your rock face and portal very believable.

The easiest way to include a link is just paint, copy and paste the URL.

Ed- how do you get fancy with the html code? I just tried "a href=" and it didn't work. I would like to change my sig link to display "my pix"

Regards,
Jon
http://www.dollhousedesigns.com/ModelRR/ModelRR.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon. Looked and all of that is turned off in the signature ..

Allow Image BB Code No
Can Upload Images for Signature No
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

Message boards like these normally use the BB Code referred to above . That refers to Bulletin Board Code or BBCode. Similar to HTML as a markup language but limited to specific markup so you don't get a situation where someone uses malformed HTML to disrupt the website.

Wikipedia on BBCode

well, thank ya. The slide show is html and js. Takes folders and sub-folders. A friend that takes care of our Habitat website helped me for my site.

well, thank ya. The slide show is html and js. Takes folders and sub-folders. A friend that takes care of our Habitat website helped me for my site.
Ok. HTML and JS I know .. thought you might know the filenames .. thought that one worked well.

The key is maintaining access to the track....looks like you left the outer side open, but it appears to be against a wall......can you lift the "mountain" off to get underneath? If you want to be able to lift the mountain off the layout, the best bet for you is to glue some foam to your particle board and then shape it using a shureform tool, knives, ect. , followed by paint, ground cover, trees, ect. The newspaper and woven cardboard work well if the mountain is permanent, but not if it needs to be movable. The mountain on the left in this picture can be lifted off and is made of foam.

Yes, I also Murphy and we have had words before. I see what I can do about an access point.

Right now yes I can pick it up and move it if I need to, and I think I will take your advice and go with the foam to keep it light and to practice my sculpting techniques.

Shawn63 that really looks great and that is the type of theme I am going for. Nice work!

Again thanks to all as always you have been a big help.

Ed those pics are fantastic, I am just now learning to model buildings, yours are an inspiration, keep up the good work !! p.s. love the turntable.

That was Jon's pics which were fantastic! :) .. me .. the turntable was very nice .. as was the Komodo Dragon with the guy cowering in the outhouse ..

Back