Truck Spacing Dimensions, Wheel base?

beiland

Would there be some sort of chart or site that might compare the 'wheel base' truck spacing of various diesel locomotives.

At this time I'm interested in particularly the length spacing between the 2 trucks on 6 axle diesels,..how far apart are they, and are there some different engine models that have close, or very close wheelbases??

Perhaps there would be some sort of reference site that would display various side view drawings of these engines?

I don't know whether or not there is a reference site or not, but you can look up some individual diesels on Wikipedia. Not all diesels have this information listed. Here's an example of an EMD SD40-2. On the right side of the page about halfway down under specifications, the wheelbase is given, between bolsters.
Wheelbase43 ft 6 in (13.26 m) between bolsters; 13 ft 7 in (4.14 m) between axles in each truck

Another reference table is at The Diesel Shop web page. Click on the link for EMD diesels.

Those are good starting points. Keep in mind, however, that the actual measurements on model diesel locomotives may differ somewhat from the prototype they are patterned after, possibly because the model manufacturer is producing several different models, and may not want to tool up separately for two different models they are making. If it is a matter of replacing a broken truck on a model, it would be best to contact the manufacturer, or to measure the wheelbase and the distance between trucks. I don't recall the particular prototype, not the model number, but there are some where the three axles are not spaced the same, unlike, say, an A-1-A Blomberg truck. Also, depending on the swing and whether the model is designed to go around tight curves, the kingpin spacing between the two trucks may be different than the prototype.

Back