Troy's Still Untitled GN Cascade N-Scale line

Thus begins round 2

If you've followed me in the Coffee Shop, then you will know that I pulled my layout down... well, the half-finished benchwork for a variety of reasons.

The writing desk, hobby desk, and gaming table (4x6 ft) have been consolidated to the area previously designated as "train area"

The layout will now be where the aforementioned writing/hobby stuff was.

Here's a rough sketch of the new layout's lower level. Made with RailModler Pro for Mac. I'm not a fan of the software, but it's about the only one made for Mac.

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 8.12.25 AM.png

The Helix will be next to my current writing desk location.

Here's a work in progress shot:
Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 1.18.40 PM.png

That was me trying to figure out if any of the old benchwork could be used as is. Nope. Everything there got deconstructed. The 24-inch wide sections (right and rear of pic) will become the 2nd level.

Here's the first section installed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 2.21.15 PM.png

Thus begins round 2

If you've followed me in the Coffee Shop, then you will know that I pulled my layout down... well, the half-finished benchwork for a variety of reasons.

The writing desk, hobby desk, and gaming table (4x6 ft) have been consolidated to the area previously designated as "train area"

The layout will now be where the aforementioned writing/hobby stuff was.

Here's a rough sketch of the new layout's lower level. Made with RailModler Pro for Mac. I'm not a fan of the software, but it's about the only one made for Mac.

View attachment 167548

The Helix will be next to my current writing desk location.

Here's a work in progress shot:
View attachment 167549

That was me trying to figure out if any of the old benchwork could be used as is. Nope. Everything there got deconstructed. The 24-inch wide sections (right and rear of pic) will become the 2nd level.

Here's the first section installed.

View attachment 167550
Looking good Troy.

Do you have like super long arms or is that back corner reachable? I am gonna guess I missed something...
Good question...

It's going to be mostly rocky cliff scenery.

Yes, the table is wide. BUT going from 42 inch wide at the right end for the 17" radius curve on the scenic loop, makes the layout shape strange to cut it in so sharp.

Figured I'd move the backdrop out away from the wall in a gentle curve than have the sharp change in dept from the front.

Update as of May 7, 2023:

Needed to clean up some backdrop tempered hardboard from the previous iteration.

I tried hot-gluing foam to the hardboard - which worked fine - but, when I dismantled the old, this left the hot glue behind. I also had a few pieces I used the Foam-Safe adhesive (Liquid Nails). Both were removable with 70% IPA and a scraper. But the underlying paint came off in most places.

So, some spackle work (filler) and some sanding....

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 6.51.01 AM.png

Ended up with two 8foot long sections of the tempered hardboard with repairs. Got one more 8ft section in the garage, and another 4 ft section in the basement, already painted.
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 7.04.40 AM.png

I will need to rip these 24-inch tall sections down to fit under the upper level. But, I should probably wait until I mount the upper deck before cutting. I'll at least give these another sanding, and then a fresh coat of sky blue.

Gerry Leone on Trains.com recommends a light haze coat of a greyish mist along the bottom of the backdrops. I can see potential for that, but I'm not sure if my airbrush can handle that large of an area? I'd have to go up to taper off about 6 inches from the bottom edge. My plan was to add a photo scene along that same area (print on paper, glue the paper to the backdrop.) So the haze may be redundant in most areas.

And, I plan on using one of the 8 ft lengths in the big corner, to cove it in. A rough trial setup showed the width of the section dropped from 42" wide (and 48" to the back corner) and became a 28-ish inch reach with the backdrop in place. That should be manageable.

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 7.04.40 AM.png

Before I rip the hardboard backdrop sections down, I want to mount the upper deck, so I can use supports behind the coved section of the backdrop to stabilize both the upper deck and the coved section of the backdrop. I've got two sections of upper deck framing built. Just need to connect them in the corner, then add the bracing.

May 13, 2023

I have to work on the second deck above the peninsula. I'm running out of other parts that don't get impacted by that chore.

Here's the coved backdrop along lower level:
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.58.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.58.27 AM.png

So... the peninsula...

here's what Gerry Leone did with his, and I was thinking of copying his:

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.10.45 PM.png

screengrab from Ep 8 of his Back on Track series on Trains.com

Gerry is using L-girder. I have open grid style. So the engineering is going going to be slightly different.

I'm thinking 2x4 (instead of 1x3") as center support legs rising from the floor up to 78" off the floor. That's the max height of the upper deck's backdrop.

My original thought was to run them in this orientation:
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.59.29 AM.png

But, I believe they'll be better off rotated to the 4" side facing the long sides of the peninsula. Why?
Because I need somewhere to add both a shelf bracket, and a cleat that the lower deck's backdrop will attach to.

I'll add some 1x2 angled bracing under the lower deck to stabilize the legs. Yes, it will interfere with me creeping around underneath the peninsula for wiring and such. But I'd rather have to weave in and out than have the structure collapse. Or lose the upper deck in this area.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Today is other project day. Tomorrow I'll be back on the benchwork.

And I'm calling the benchwork "Substantially Completed"

Here's the upper deck in place. I might add another support. Or another angle piece or two to soften some right angles. But I'm done with major construction.

Still need to put up cleats for the backdrop
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 4.51.14 PM.png

Not only are the open grids for upper deck screwed into the verticle supports, but I've added a 13" shelf bracket under it at two points on each side of the run.
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 4.51.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 4.51.51 PM.png

And I just noticed I forgot to add the second bracket to the Yard side of the peninsula... I'll do that this evening.

And, how I worked on the model railroad while installing patio pavers out back for the wife's strawberry plants.

Well, I had to move a couple of buckets of dirt.

And I had a bunch of used but not consumed charcoal in the kamado grill.

So the first couple of shovels went into a disposable foil pan, and got baked on the grill at 300°f for over 2 hours.

Then I dug out the sieve I use for hobby, and started seperating the soil from the gravel:
Dirt.png

Gallon+ sized bag. put sieve in bag. Use cup to scoop soil into sieve. Hold bag closed while shaking sieve. That helps keep the dust down.

Dump non-sifted detritus into second bag.

When pan is empty, dump "gravel" bag back into pan. Bash "soil" with flat metal object. Remove any obvious pieces of rock and or detritus.

Repeat sieving and bashing until you're happy. You'll end up with a bag of fine dirt, and a bag of mixed-sized gravel.

Still recycling old OSB board from the last go at the layout. The big piece was "packing" from when I ordered delivery on a "Sanded one side" piece of good plywood for my gaming table. They sandwiched the good sheet in between 2 sheets of 5/8 OSB. That more than made up for the $20 "special packing" fee.

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 10.34.48 AM.png

And I got some more backdrop up. This completed 20 feet of run so far. Next up is bend it around the bullnose on the peninsula... Going to need some serious Windex for that job.
Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 10.37.16 AM.png

Since I purchased a new jigsaw, after tossing my old in the bin after being disgusted by how much it drifts on a simple cut... I remembered that I did have a use for the old jigsaw:

The new one is the blue/green Bosch. Guess what the old red one is used for?
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.59.33 AM.png

Yep... foam!

I learned this from watching Gerry Leone over at Trains.com... but others have covered the idea.

Grind the teeth off a jigsaw blade. It doesn't have to be sharp, but should be sharp-ish...

No mess when it cuts rigid foam board. The red one is now a dedicated foam cutter.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.59.46 AM.png

Back