Travel by Amtrak

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Once again I was considering taking a train trip just for the experience.
First deterrent was the very crowded trains. Especially with unruly, messy kids.

way metro GIF

The other deterrent is the terrible ability to stay on schedule. Sometimes ya see the Southwest Chief arriving a "Day" late. Don't they think that maybe people have a schedule to maintain?

I don't think I'll ever travel by aircraft again.
The air filtering provides a very good cleansing, so I'm not concerned about respiratory issues but it's just the disgusting filth of the travelers.
I am a little confused about your 2 posts. Not sure what trains you were riding and when you were riding but to state that there were unruly messy kids are you saying they were running around on the trains? Did you question the conductor about the issue ? Your next comment is the ability to stay on schedule. Again what trains were you riding because even though Amtrak is supposed to have the right away many times the freight railroads delay the passenger trains for their own freight trains. Amtrak would love to stay on schedule but right of way is beyond their control. In your next post you state that you would not travel by aircraft again. I agree with that because I look at the number of flights that are cancelled at the last minute or delayed for hours and the loss of baggage for flights that take off and never take off and you you could be sitting in an airport overnight with no compensation for rooms and no baggage. So the last resort is you rent a car if you can or just drive your own car to where you have to go for however long it takes. That way you have no interractions with other people on a train or plane

The last train I rode on cross country was Labor Day 1976, on Amtrak between Chicago and Denver. The equipment was old and decrepit! Was trying to show my young daughters and my wife what train travel was like when I rode the Zephyrs as a kid. Alas! Air conditioning was out in our sleeper from Chicago to Lincoln, Nebraska! Went to the club car for some cool air. Car was bouncing around so we could hardly stay in our seats! When we got to Denver, we saw the club car was tipped over at about a 15 deg. angle! It was old Santa Fe equipment.

As far as travel by air is concerned, that has gone to hell in a hand basket due to cancellations, lost baggage, and other factors. Have a trip coming up in October. Hope it goes well as our schedule to attend a convention is tight! If everything goes okay otherwise, at Denver International Airport (DIA), you might get stuck in the train that conveys people from the terminal to the various concourses or visa versa. Except for getting between the terminal and Concourse A, you can't get there from here if the train breaks down!

Doubt if I'll ever get there, but I'd really like to see what the Mark Twain Zephyr is going be like when the Wisconsin Great Northern gets through refurbishing it. Used to ride it in regular service on the Q when I was a kid.
(Rant mode off!)

I watch the Virtual Railfan and see the #4 and #3 arrive in Flagstaff sometimes 10 hours to a day behind schedule. I'm sure they aren't the anomaly of Amtrak. Looking at the available seats on those trains and they are pretty well sold out just a few days before departure. If there are kids on the train, you can count on them being unruly and sloppy. That's just how they are.

They may be extending the Heartland Flyer through Wichita in the next few years. Amtrak has a bus service between Newton, KS (30 miles north of Wichita) to Oklahoma City to catch the route south. Just the times to catch the train in Newton suck...A train trip is still on my bucket list, even if I won't be able to get one done next year as hoped.

Trains can be a real drag with all the crowds and noisy kids. And don't even get me started on their punctuality - it's a real bummer when trains are running late and messing up your schedule. But hey, have you thought about checking out *spam link removed*? They're a great alternative to trains, and you'll get a much more relaxed and comfortable experience. No more cramped seats and noisy kids to worry about. Plus, you can usually count on flights to stick to their schedule better. It's not as difficult to find cheap tickets online as you might think.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everything goes okay otherwise, at Denver International Airport (DIA), you might get stuck in the train that conveys people from the terminal to the various concourses or visa versa. Except for getting between the terminal and Concourse A, you can't get there from here if the train breaks down!
Actually there is another passenger walk way tunnel. It was umm umm hidden after 911. In a real emergency they would open it.

Once again I was considering taking a train trip just for the experience.

The other deterrent is the terrible ability to stay on schedule.
Ok, if you are doing it, "just for the experience" what are you worried about a schedule for?

But even then I don't know that rail schedules are any worse than modern day airlines.

When I was on official city business I would take Amtrak to the conventions back east. Took me two days instead of 4 hours, but I got to see a whole lot of railroad stuff and country one can never see by auto. As a prior poster noted one leg of one of the trips (night time Chicago to Cincinnati?) our coach did not have heat (in December). Had to go to the club car just for some relief. On that same trip returning and coming out of New York we got the brand new, at the time, View Liner car. It was wonderful.

I also used to take the train Omaha to Denver. Leave my office and go to station. Get on train at 8:30 pm. Have dinner and go to bed. Wake up at 5:00 am. in Omaha and walk over to my office there. Returning trip wasn't quite so nice because the west bound didn't come in until 11:30 pm so diner was already past and breakfast was rushed. But got in at 7:30 am. and walked back up the hill to my office. Did that for 2 or three years. Don't remember ever being late to work.

My favorite was once I made reservations late just as the train was coming into the station. They didn't have any normal rooms left, so they gave me the family bed room that was otherwise going to be unoccupied for the same price as a roomette. The family bedroom has windows on both sides of the car. So cool.

Also remember that Coach seats in Amtrak are the equivalent of first class seats on an airliner. A first class compartment is so nice to leave things in and go wandering the train. Once when I was just coach from Milwaukee to Chicago, I left my seat to go to diner, came back and had no seat. The conductor had written my ticket on the same slip as the person sitting beside me. Apparently they got up and moved seats taking my ticket slip with them. That was a fun mess the next time the conductor came by.

Then, at least back when I was riding often, when you get a first class ticket the meals and one snack per leg of the trip are free. Likewise you have access to the private lounges in the stations. That came in really handy in NYC when we were laying over. Didn't have to lug our baggage with us as we toured the city. Just left it in the first class lounge at the station.

At Christmas time they have special events in the dining car. We had a wine and cheese tasting coming east out of Denver one night.

Last edited:
The last train I rode on cross country was Labor Day 1976, on Amtrak between Chicago and Denver. The equipment was old and decrepit! Was trying to show my young daughters and my wife what train travel was like when I rode the Zephyrs as a kid. Alas! Air conditioning was out in our sleeper from Chicago to Lincoln, Nebraska! Went to the club car for some cool air. Car was bouncing around so we could hardly stay in our seats! When we got to Denver, we saw the club car was tipped over at about a 15 deg. angle! It was old Santa Fe equipment.
Hmmm, that was probably the absolute worst time ever to ride Amtrak. ALL the equipment was old other railroad stuff.

I get your concerns about taking a train trip with Amtrak. Crowded trains and delays can be frustrating, especially when you have a tight schedule. However, I'd say it's still worth considering for the unique experience! Have you looked into less popular routes or off-peak times to avoid crowds? And as for the delays, unfortunately, that can happen with any mode of transportation. It might be worth giving yourself some buffer time in case of any unexpected delays. By the way, if you're planning any travel, make sure to *Spam link removed* Safety should be your primary concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I was just contemplating taking a train trip for the experience, you know? But guess what? The trains were jam-packed! And to top it off, there were these rowdy, messy kids everywhere, making it a bit of a chaotic scene. Not exactly what I had in mind, you feel me?
Best travel off season, avoiding any time kids may not be in class (do they still do classes in person?).

Fares were lower as well. One trip we had out to Glacier Park was not only on time, but the trains were not full. Another trip back from Williston (to St. Paul) we were 12 hours late due to track work.

Probably not a good way to go if you need to be on time.

Dave LASM

When my oldest daughter went to the University of Maryland Amtrak was often her short ride home. Always on time and never any hassle. My wife and I took Amtrak to pick her up a few times because we enjoyed the train ride. Spacious comfortable seats, a pleasant and enjoyable ride.

We are hoping to take the Acela for a joy ride before they replace the old trains.
1686332932307.png

1686332961469.png

I remember my first Amtrak trip - I was so excited until I found myself surrounded by what felt like a kindergarten on wheels. Despite the chaos, there's something oddly charming about the train experience. It's like a microcosm of life, messy and unpredictable. About the schedules, I hear ya. The struggle is real! I once had an Amtrak adventure where I ended up arriving fashionably late. Southwest Chief? More like Southwest Fashionably Tardy. Honestly, I think they're operating on a different time zone sometimes.

I remember my first Amtrak trip - I was so excited until I found myself surrounded by what felt like a kindergarten on wheels. Despite the chaos, there's something oddly charming about the train experience. It's like a microcosm of life, messy and unpredictable. About the schedules, I hear ya. The struggle is real! I once had an Amtrak adventure where I ended up arriving fashionably late. Southwest Chief? More like Southwest Fashionably Tardy. Honestly, I think they're operating on a different time zone sometimes.
And here we have an example of a spammer using AI to generate an innocuous post they can come back to later and edit in spam links.

I had never travelled by train, yet always wanted to. So, when Amtrak had a sale on the Auto train last year about this time, I decided to give it a try. The Auto Train is a unique non stop route as it only operates between Sanford, Florida and Lorton, Virginia and it allows you to take your car along for the train ride. I decided to drive from home in Berryville, Virginia to my family's place in Oviedo, Florida, and just take the Auto Train for the return trip. The drive down was fourteen hours, including two stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks. For the return trip, check in (including car) is 12:30-3PM. Boarding starts at 3:30. Once vehicles are loaded, the auto loader rail cars are then attached to the passenger cars, making the Auto Train the longest passenger train in the country. The train left on time (I think 5PM). Available accommodations include "coach" which is pretty equivalent to an airplane seat, a "roomette" which is a private compartment for up to two people and sleeping berths, or a "room" which can accommodate up to four people and has sleeping berths and a private bathroom. I went with the "roomette" which was actually rather comfortable for just myself. For those with rooms or roomettes, dinner and breakfast was included and served in the dining car. I had the flat iron steak (cooked to order) with baked potato and chocolate moose for desert, but the salmon and the grilled chicken breast dinners looked good too (as did the cheesecake and other desert choices), The only hot item available for the continental breakfast was a sausage egg and cheese biscuit, but there was also fruit, coffee cake, cereals and other cold options there on the table for the taking. Despite having a bed, I could not sleep on the train any more than I have ever been able to sleep on a plane. Part of that might have been that the tracks between Florida and Virginia are not very smooth. So, I was rather tired when the train arrived in Lorton about an hour late at 10:48 the next morning. Little did I know that the experience was far from over. No sooner had we entered the terminal then they announced the locomotive moving the auto loaders to the ramps for unloading, had broken down. They said broken down, but my guess is that it derailed at a turnout. They had to call in a big crane to remove the locomotive from the tracks to get it out of the way. The crane arrived in pieces on four trucks and had to be assembled. Once the locomotive was out of the way, it appeared that they had to repair damage to the track. The end result was that I didn't get my car till after 6PM (28 hours after arriving at the Sanford station and more than 7 hours after arriving in Lorton). For me, travel time by car from Oviedo to Sandford was 30 minutes. Travel time from the Lorton station to my home in Berryville was about an hour and a half with traffic. The 14 hour drive by car didn't seem so bad after the 30 hour journey using the Auto Train. I certainly met some nice people on the train and in the Lorton terminal as we all waited. The Lorton terminal was crowded with passengers waiting for their cars to be unloaded. All the people filling the terminal were from the train I was on. That day's southbound train had been cancelled when they figured out they wouldn't be able to load the autos. I did end up with Covid from the experience (only time I've had it so far). Guessing it was from sitting in the crowded terminal for more than seven hours since the only time I was near others on the train was the time spent in the dining car (not crowded but shared table with others). I will say the crew members I met were friendly and very helpful. The conductor for my train car made a point of knowing every passenger by name. I know that my experience with the breakdown is not the norm, though I know delays are not uncommon. But, in my case, since sleeping wasn't going to work for me, I won't be doing the Auto train again in the future.
1702422116608.png

The terminal and loading cars in Sanford, Florida.
1702422149436.png
1702422091754.png

Roomette was two seats facing each other with a fold out table in between. The seats and table fold out into a bed and a second berth is stowed above and folds down. I knew I might not sleep well, so I had the conductor make up the upper berth. That way, I could climb down and sit at the table if I couldn't sleep.

Last edited:
And here we have an example of a spammer using AI to generate an innocuous post they can come back to later and edit in spam links.

Out of curiosity, how do you know it's AI? Aside from being a very generic elocution on a six-month old thread, is there some key that makes it recognizable as such? I generally like to think I'm pretty good at identifying fake and fabricated things online, but the rapid expansion of AI stuff lately is a new frontier, it would seem.

And what would be the usefulness of using AI to post on random message boards? Especially one with a subject matter as innocuous as ours?

Back