Train derails after hitting truck

Wow that is quite the mess. Cars, locomotives, and rail got messed up in that one. Not to mention the flatbed truck itself but, I guess that usually goes without saying huh? :rolleyes:

in 2009 how is this still the norm????
"The rail crossing is not equipped with lights or barricades, nonetheless troopers say trains always have the right of way".:(

Good thing those cars were empty! You think the mess is bad now lol

Yes even in 2009 there are 1000's of crossings across the country that are basically unprotected. Unless they have gates, lights and bells alone will and do not do the job. Why are they not protected?????? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I guarantee you that crossing will be getting some gates now, before the driver even gets his settlement.

in 2009 how is this still the norm????
"The rail crossing is not equipped with lights or barricades, nonetheless troopers say trains always have the right of way".:(

Because the Supreme Court said so in a case from 1909. As they rightfully noted, the tracks stay in the same position every day and trains cannot take evasive action if something crosses their path. Drivers should know that a train cannot usually stop before hitting them so it is incumbent upon them to make sure the tracks are clear before crossing. Assuming the truck driver actually turned onto the crossing with the train bearing down on him, he will have no cause for action against the CSX and should, in fact, be issued a citation for unsafe action while attempting to cross a marked railroad crossing. If this happens, it's the truck driver and the owner of the truck or trucking company that may end up getting sued by CSX for damages.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the looks of the number of cars on the ground, the train was moving quite fast to derail that many empties. You would be surprised how "quiet" a freight train can be, especailly if hidden by a curve or other obstructions. Doesnt take a lot of power to move those empties so the locos could have been in idle, or run 1 or run 2 dynamic braking, and the driver being in a truck with his own noise going on......it is quite possible, he never heard it or seen it til it was too late. If the crossing is not protected.... all he has to do is say he looked and didnt see anything, sound is not a factor. That is why has a plan to eventually eliminate all crossings at grade, protected or not. ;) Too much liability..........just waiting to happen.

I lived near those track, and most all the way along that road, the tracks are straight, with just an occasional short (.2 mile, less than .5%) grade. The only thing that could have obstructed the driver's view would have been foliage (trees). I've also seen many people play "beat the train" at those crossings.

I don't know Florida law but, under California law, and assuming this was a commercial truck, the driver was obligated to come to a complete stop at the crossing. After assuring that the crossing was clear of oncoming trains, he could then proceed. Most states have similar laws for commercial vehicles. Assuming he came to a complete stop but there was still a view block in the form of foliage, he might have a case. I somehow doubt that he came to a complete stop. I suspect he just barreled across a crossing he'd crossed many times before but this time he didn't beat the train.

Between the horns and lights on a locomotive, they are hard to miss if you are looking for one. The reason why the Supreme Court made its ruling in 1909 was that right of way had not been established in case law and everyone who got hit by a train (or their survivors) sued the railroad. The latest figure I have show that there are 248,000 grade crossings in the US and, of that total, only about 57,000 are protected by lights and/or gates. There is zero chance that grade crossing will ever be eliminated in this country. A concerted campaign by law enforcement nationwide to enforce existing laws regarding railroad crossing will do more good than adding signaling to presently unsignaled crossings.

As long as drivers--or trucking companies for that matter--insist on the clock as being more important than what they are doing at the present moment, the game of "let's beat the train" will be a popular past time.:eek::confused::mad:

I'd like to see some kind of barricade that comes up from the ground be installed---that'll stop them---4 Foot high wall---;)

I lived near those track, and most all the way along that road, the tracks are straight, with just an occasional short (.2 mile, less than .5%) grade. The only thing that could have obstructed the driver's view would have been foliage (trees). I've also seen many people play "beat the train" at those crossings.

a few years back there was a head-on train to train wreck close to there too! the track along us301 is good for train watching. the road is close to the track and you can safely snap shot's and not get in trouble for being on RR property!

Back