Train Database

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I have seen and often thought about a database to to keep track of my trains and accessories.

Being a Microsoft Access programmer I thought I would write a database for this.

I have it started and working, however I would like to know what others would like in a database.

I will gladly share this database with anyone that wants it free of charges.

If you would like to help let me know what you would like to keep track of in a database.

Thank you,
Dale

As my paint and supplies collection grows I have often thought eventually I am going to need to know what I have before I make a trip to the hobby shop and buy duplicate items. So I have been adding my stuff to the Model Inventory Database App on my Android (made by Woodland Scenics). That way when I go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and browse the acrylic paints section I can quickly look and see what I have on hand. I am getting ready to add all the Evergreen and Plastruct stuff to the database. Because I don't even have much of their stuff yet but every time I go I can't remember which sheet thicknesses I have. So these items would be best suited for my needs since I don't have a large train collection just yet.

I would much rather have this on my PC here at home or even hosted on the www somewhere. But I would like to access it via Android from anywhere.

Kevin,
That is doable.
I want to get this database for Trains and accessories started well then I think I can give you a database that will suit your needs.

That would be cool. I will give it a test run if you like. Just let me know. I only have a couple dozen freight cars and a few MOW cars at the moment though. I also have some structure kits and some vehicles I could add if you give it that capability.

Here's what I would want in such a database....
Item type (car, loco, structure, etc.). Scale. Mfr. Year acquired. Prototype owner. Modifications, perhaps with a drop down menu list from which I can choose multiple options (like couplers, trucks, wheels, exterior details, etc)
.. Color. DCC or DC. Room for comments, too. Probably a serial number for the product. Also car or road number. Various ways to sort and filter the list. Perhaps also a way to use it in conjunction with operating schemes, like generating switch lists.

Does that help?

From the DairyStatePhone

How about keeping track of when locomotives and other items get serviced? Want to know when you last oiled your locos? Might be good to have a db for that

Maybe even date of purchase or date that an item was added to the layout.

I was literally JUST thinking about this the other day! I was going to design a PC-based application and an android app that would connect to a SQL server and hold all the data for me. I would want to be able to expand the database for any category that I would see fit to add, so if I wanted five categories like locomotives, rolling stock, paint, track, and electrical I could add those five categories. Also, there would have to be item names, quantities, and long descriptions by default. User-defined fields would also be nice, in case I wanted to add a field for, say, rolling stock such as car # and road name. The ability to expand is a huge part of any database program as far as I can see. These are all things I look for in a database application. The other guys all have great ideas as well, and if the database is created to be customizable, it would not be difficult to add some of these things later such as service date, purchase date, power type, etc.

Edit: BTW, if you are at all a SQL programmer, we may be able to get together on this, since it is something I am very interested in as well. I would use MySQL as the server, and either Java or C# to develop the PC app. Obviously for the Android platform Java would be necessary, so this may be the easiest thing, just use Java all around. PM me if you want to try something like this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of what has been mentioned is in the database or will be.
This database is basically for locomotives and cars.

psycgobeagle,
I am using Microsoft Access for this database.

I saw that you are using Access. I was just wondering if you would want to work on a SQL version with an Android and PC-based frontend. If not, that's ok too. I may start this project and see where it goes, since I am trying to gain some programming experience for my resume. Good luck with your database!

Say Psybegal & RZW0WR,
I'm no programer but running XP on my PC, I for some reason can't update Adobe as it won't complete the download.

I've also wanted to create a data base for a delivery schedule in Open Office.Org but can't due to Java not being updated. So when I read about you wanting to use Java it leaves me out but I know Adove/Java are used considerably.

So RZW0WR: Will I be able to use your DB with OO.Org? All of the prior posts seemed to fairly much cover the various areas so if your creating the DB so it can be altered, as I almost assume you would need to to give it any flexibility then that is a good thing, especially if I can figure out how to get it to install on my system?

If you have any ideas for me I appreciate hearing them.

Sorry David.
Access does not allow you to customize an app easily.
Basically, I will try to put into it what the most people ask for.

how about a section for photos of your loco ? i dont know if that can be done , but im also very interested

vic

Here is a sample of my database.

It is not completed yet.
I would like some feedback on it.

You will need to download Microsoft Runtime to use this.
Runtime is free.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=10910

After you have installed runtime install my database.

View attachment Train Catalog_Test.zip

If you have questions, comments or concerns please let me know.

BTW, Access will NOT allow you to make a help file without going to college to learn how.
In other words, No help file is available for this database.

If you would like to help let me know what you would like to keep track of in a database.
There are three sections of the database - Inventory, Project Status, and Maintenance.
Inventory is simply tracking what equipment one has purchased -
Fields would include:
Scale, Manufacturer, Manufacture line, Manufacture part number, Manufacturer description, simple description
Manufacture suggested retail price & date, normal street price & date, price paid & date.
Where purchased, was it taxed, shipping cost.
Category of the object - loco, freight car, passenger car, track, scenery, structure, reference, control, part, consumable
Rolling stock items would have additional elements:
car type, length, weight, road name, paint scheme, reporting number, coupler type, truck type, load
Locos would have additional elements:
powered or dummy, drawbar pull, amperage, control (DC, DCC, Railcommand, etc.), what channel, special programming, sound, lighting
Then other stuff.
Is the item a kit, if so is it built up.

Project -
Project name, start time, status, expected completion, hours spent, what elements of the above inventory database are involved in the project

Maintenance -
For each rolling stock item. Cleaning schedule, lubrication schedule, last date, next date, repair list.

I'm interested to see where this goes. Currently, I'm using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets to catalog my equipment. I've piddled around with Access, but it just seems a little beyond my mind's reach. (Admittedly, I haven't tried that hard... :rolleyes: )

Regards,
Tom Stockton

OK guys, why re-invent the wheel? A model railroader named Bob Langer has already done the work for us. See the following:
http://easy-model-railroad-inventory.rclsoftware.com/
It's free, allows pictures to be attached, keeps track of everything including maintenance, vendors, cost; prints car cards, has switchlist capability, keeps track of industries and commodities and a whole lot more. You can use the whole thing or just the parts that interest you.
willie

OK guys, why re-invent the wheel?

I would want to take on this kind of project so that I can put on my resume someday that I created a piece of database software that model railroaders are using to keep track of their trains. Open source project that gains me some experience in the programming world? Why would I NOT want to do it? Lol. Seriously. It's trains and computers (my two favorite things) all at once!

Just because there is a piece of software out there that does a specific task doesn't mean someone can't come along and make something just as good or even better. It is what drives continual improvement. Without competition we wouldn't have all the wonderful trains, structures, scenery, etc that we have available today. Corel Draw, Photoshop, Painshop, Gimp and many other programs all handle graphic design. That didn't stop the manufacturers of these companies for making the software.

Back