Track?

otiscnj

I'm considering building a decent or large sized layout, with 3 rail track. Any recommendations regarding which track is the most reliable, and realistic? Same goes for switches. Is availability an issue these days?

Any recommendations regarding which track is the most reliable, and realistic?
The only modern O-gauge track I have experience with is Lionel. It seems as good as the older big tube stuff. I did have some issues with the pins wanting to switch tracks. I have found it hard to disconnect. I do not know about the availability of turnouts, I get all mine second hand.

All that is except for the realistic part. I can't imagine any 3-rail track being classified as realistic just because of the 3 rails. Further, the turnouts follow the geometry of the curved tracks just like the old classic Lionel did. Nowhere close to the geometry of a real North American railroad turnout.

But, I think for realistic one would want to look toward the Atlas. It has the center rail darkened so it is not as noticeable and does follow closer to real North American geometries. I THINK it is still O-gauge, and not scale proto-48 distance between the rails. Unfortunately I have no first hand knowledge of this track.
http://www.atlaso.com/o3railnstrack.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Horseman,

Thanks for the input. I would tend to agree with all of your comments. My parents got me started with an O27 set, which included tubular track. When you consider that even 054 track is like 13.5" radius in HO scale, I think you are completely correct regarding it being anything close to prototypical. Does an 8.75" section of 027 track scale out to 39'? I do love the sound that my O27 trains make, over all the rail joints.

Since posting I've gone out and purchased some 054 curves of the tubular variety, for better or worse. The Atlas track looks great, but very expensive. I'd like to get away from the 027 switches, and may go with the Lionel 042, or maybe even Gargraves switches, although I've heard that Ross switches are top of the line. Gargraves Phantom track used to be a very highly regarded product in years past, but I haven't kept up with the latest in O-scale.

Thanks for replying!

LOS, is the Gargraves flex track still very hard to bend? An O scaler I knew in Mobile used some 2-rail Gargraves on some of his mainline in hidden sections, and that stuff was extremely hard to get into a proper radius cause it was so hard to bend.

Well Gargraves track is not that difficult to bend with a little patience. Gargraves also makes section track with a huge variety of curves so there is no need to bend all of it anyways. Most large 3 rail layouts these days are built with Ross Custom Switches and Gargraves track (sectional curves).

Atlas track--- flex track is nearly impossible to bend because of the solid rail. Switches are very problematic. Also the most expensive.

MTH Scaletrax-- Probably the best looking because of the thin middle rail. Only 2 switches to choose from #4 and #6. Flex track is very easy to bend... the easiest 3 rzail track to bend.

If you look around, check out all the Hi-Rail dvds, check out YouTube and really do some homework, you'll find that most people doing scale 3R layouts and Hi-Rail layouts use Gargraves and Ross because of the price and availability.

You can see the layout that my Dad and I are building here. This was progress as of Dec 2012. All Gargraves track, sectional and flex, with Ross Custom Switches.

[YOUTUBE]wq3G5ob5p_I[/YOUTUBE]

I use Atlas O. I have started the hobby with Lionel Fastrack, I have tried a few pieces of Ross, and a few pieces of Gargraves. I find Atlas O to be the best track.

I'm going with Gargraves phantom rail Flextrack and Gargraves turnouts. Because of the limited area I have to work with I'm only using 42' and 54' turnouts. I agree that the three rail track lacks total realism, but it allows more flexibility in selecting engines. rolling stock and accessories. And the Gargraves track is not that difficult to bend so long as you are patient. Hell for my money it beats the socks off of laying HO flextrack.

I'm considering building a decent or large sized layout, with 3 rail track. Any recommendations regarding which track is the most reliable, and realistic? Same goes for switches. Is availability an issue these days?
Otiscnj, Are you intending to build the philly and scranton in O scale? I wondered because I read through all the posts on your recent thread........and found no mention of the scale.

To answer you, Railfan, I have considered it, but at this point, the P&S will be in HO. At 26'x28-32', the space would make a nice O layout. I'm considering an O layout loosely based on the area around Perryville, MD, on the NEC, with the 'Lancaster International Speedway,' for my 1:43 slot cars, in another part of the basement.

I have yet to use Gargraves but that is only because my layouts right now are very seasonal so for a quick fix I have been using FastTrack for the main line and using the older standard 3 rail for accessories and motorized units. I have to say Gargraves looks beautiful on some of the layouts I've seen.

Like said previously the 3 rail does lack realism but as far as being functional and incredibly universal when it comes to lock-ons, bumpers etc...it's just super easy. In my case being that it is a seasonal layout there is a lot of buffalo snow so you really have to look hard to notice just how unrealistic that 3 rail track looks.

I guess it's all in what you're going for in your layout.

You mentioned you were considering a large layout, so price of track would be a factor (I would assume) plus reliability. Other factors to consider are the size of your curves - will you run traditional O gauge (most will run on O-31 curves without issue) or scale/semi-scale (wide curves and turnouts required)?

Your options, from cheapest/most available to most realistic/expensive:
Lionel / K-Line / Marx tubular track. Cheap, reliable, can be upgraded in appearance with extra ties/roadbed/ballast. Still toy-like but very reliable. Turnouts range from O-27 to O-72 (which is equivalent an HO 18" radius turnout).
K-Line (now AristO / RMT) Shadowrail. Still tubular but with closely spaced, plastic ties. O-31 and O-72 turnouts. Blackened center rail.
MTH Realtrax/ Lionel Fastrack / Atlas Industrial O. Somewhat more realistic appearance with rails that look more like "real" rail. Molded plastic roadbed, center rail more subtle and chemically blackened. More expensive than tubular rail but readily available. Turnout options similar to tubular.
Gargraves is available with wood or plastic ties. The original "phantom rail" - chemically blackened center rail. Sectional or flex-track. More turnout options including Y and angled frogs. Considerably more expensive than tubular but much more realistic. Older GG turnouts have issues but newer versions much more reliable.
Atlas O / MTH Scaletrax rail cross sections more realistic. Thin center rail. Close tie spacing. Turnouts look and operate very well. Harder to find (particularly Scaletrax) and pricey but worth it.
Ross Custom Switches are the Mercedes of O 3-rail turnout. Available in a variety of configurations including double-slip, curved, even yard ladders. Solid rail spiked to wood ties. Look great when ballasted but very $$$. Compatible with Gargraves flex or sectional track.
Handlaid. Yes, it IS possible to hand lay 3rail track - I've seen examples in person - but it takes a lot of patience and honestly it didn't look any better than ready made.

Personally, I like (and have used) the Shadowrail from K-Line (now AristO / RMT.) The ties look good and the price is only slightly higher than basic tubular. If you ballast the track and paint/weather the rails it looks quite good. One other upside of tubular rail (besides cost) is the rounded head keeps the rails and wheels cleaner than flat rail - a saving on maintenance. Again, it will depend on the level of realism you want and how much you want to pay. If I wanted to go with more realism than Shadowrail, I would go with Gargraves. Your mileage may vary.

My two cents. :)

Here's a photo of the 'Amish International Speedway, Perryville, MD, Layout,' I have in mind. I'm using 027 and 054 curves at this point. It covers an area of 10'x10' or there abouts. Trains will be mainly PRR equipment. The racetrack is a 1:43 SCX set, with a few extra pieces thrown in.

Attachments

• perryvilleogauge.JPG
    perryvilleogauge.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 305
I'll put a word in for Lionel's FasTrack I have a loop using O60 curves that is about 40 feet of track and I only have 1 terminal section. I have no power drops at all as long as its kept clean. The switches are very reliable and the track is readily available with curves ranging from O31 to O84 I even heard a rumor they were bringing out O27, but that I can not confirm.

The best part about it for me is that I have changed my layout more times then I can count trying to decide what I like best.

The SCX will be part of the layout, yes. Here are 2 photos from this weekend. Perryville, MD, left, and right. In the distance in the left picture will be a hill, with a farm on it, and a train tunnel thru it. A station will go in the area of the wye tracks, just like the real Perryville. Good progress for 2 days. Got to do some structural work, then paint the plywood, plant grass, flowers, etc...

Attachments

• operyvilemdlft.jpg
    operyvilemdlft.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 390
  • operyvilemdrt.jpg
    operyvilemdrt.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 451
Great work, your layout is looking really good! I like the theme and how can you not love the grand old GG1!

In the new 2014-2015 Lionel Track and Power catalog they have announced "limited items! Get yours today!" for the tubular track. That has me thinking they will discontinue the tubular track soon, but don't let that discourage you. There are several manufacturers that make tubular track, many hobby shops have full inventories and there are many options for used tubular track. I would not let Lionel's announcement worry you.

I look forward to seeing more of your layout!

Back