Track & Train Set info needed PLEASE REPLY !

OK so I got the Bachmann HO scale Norfolk Southern Thoroughbred set a while back .. have NOT used the E-Z track as I currently have out on my table the code 100 track . I have also got a new package of the woodland scenic foam trackbed as well as the ballast . NOW ! Heres what I want to know ... is it "possible" that I can use both code 100 and the Bachmann ez-track together . Before you answer let me just say what I had in mind :

1. Set-up the Bachmann EZ track again .. and then use the foam roadbed and code100 track and then connect them all together !

Is that possible ??? Would the foam roadbed raise the code 100 track high enough and LEVEL enough to work smoothly ?? AND one last thing , can I use the ballast on both the EZ track bed and the foam bed together to blend them all in ???

ThanK You !!! :cool:

PS I will be watching this thread for replies !

You CAN do anything. But, I would say no. Stick with one or the other for good results. Myself, I would use the flex track and just build the entire layout with that.

However, I feel that you are wanting to use the Bachmann EZ track. That may well be the best for you.

Yes, you can use them together, by using some shims to take care of the height difference. The rail that's used in EZ track is code 100. The only difference is in the height of the roadbed.

If you are prepared to do what it takes, sure, you can use variants of Code 100 track, and even mix codes if you want. All you really have to ensure is that the inner flange faces and the top running surface on the rail heads are aligned between lengths of rail, especially at the joints. If nothing can squirm and tilt or buckle, you should be good to go, provided you also have good electrical contact.

What it takes, though, is some ingenuity, some materials such as cardstock shims, some acrylic latex caulk to fix it all into place, solder and wire joiners to ensure power, and then run the trains.

Bachmann EZ-Track IS code 100 rail. However if it's steel rail (black roadbed) I wouldn't waste my time. The nickel-silver (gray roadbed) is all right but the zinc plated steel rail requires more and more frequent cleaning as it gets older and becomes a maintenance nightmare. This is because the zinc plating wears away and exposes the steel. Compared to zinc steel is a lousy conductor and it develops a lot more corrosion. Now the difference in height between the Bachmann plastic roadbed and the foam stuff can be easily made up with thin shims fashioned from card stock.

I run the black road bed .. mine was in a tote for 10+ yrs wouldn't work .. sanded that SOB down good and it runs good as NEW now
There is another issue besides the roadbed height in mixing the black Bachmann steel track with other brands of nickel silver. It is call galvanic corrosion. When two dissimilar metals are put in contact with each other the electrons pass between them and cause corrosion of one, the other, or both. Steel has an index of 30 and Nickel Silver 52. How quickly the corrosion happens depends on the humidity, temperature, and other contaminants in the air.

On another topic. Sanding track is not a good idea. The sand paper scratches the surface. The scratches collect dirt and so the tracks become dirtier faster. So it spirals into a never ending issue. On the other hand if one increases the grits of sand paper is used, the scratches get smaller and smaller. Say 250 grit to 400 grit to 600 grit and then do an aluminum oxide polish (1200 grit) of the rails, then when they get dirty the rails can be cleaned with a cloth and some sort of liquid track cleaner.

G'day...I did exactly that recently..I used two bachmann crossovers linked to code 100 Atlas flex track , no probs whatsoever...By the way ..It is possible to easily remove bachmann turnouts from the plastic roadbed and use as normal unballasted ones ..except you need to glue ground throws for easy manual operation with any code 100 track..not sure if you could use a switch motor somehow or not though..but it works.. I did it on a siding on my BNSF table layout...Cheers Rod

Back