track opinions needed

firstBL2

I am in the process of designing my layout. I have the benchwood done. I can't decided which brand of track to use. Atlas is easy and affordable but I find that their turnouts are unreliable. I was thinking of using Atlas track with Peco turnouts but I am not sure how compatible they are. If memory serves, peco rail is slightly higher than Atlas.. even in the same code. I am also considering Walthers track and turnouts but I have never used it before. Any thoughts or recommendations?

My opinion, based on experience, is you can't go wrong with Atlas Flex track, code 83. It is affordable, durable, and looks prototypical.

I have also found that Atlas #6's are good turnouts, but I have a problem with using #4's. Most 4's that I have received are bowed at the outer stock rail. I still use them some in industrial areas and with smaller sized locos using them. Peco's are also very good, but expensive. My favorite and the most on the layout (130+) are Walthers' Shinohara #5's and 6's with a few curved type.;) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Micro Engineering! The flex track they have is more stiff, so it will hold a curve, so you can pre-shape it.

Back