track differences

MarianoAA

hi everyone,

this is my first post here, and as new as i am to this forum i am to model railroads.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between tack codes...

i mean... 100 / 80 / 70.

Im talking about H0 scale.

Im about to buy my first tracks and would love to know that difference,

thanks in advance,

MAriano

MarianoAA said:
hi everyone,

this is my first post here, and as new as i am to this forum i am to model railroads.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between tack codes...

i mean... 100 / 80 / 70.

Im talking about H0 scale.

Im about to buy my first tracks and would love to know that difference,

thanks in advance,

MAriano

First off, welcome to the hobby and forum. We're glad to have you here.:cool:

As for track codes, the numbers correspond to rail height measurements in thousandths of an inch. For example, the popular code 83 rail height measures .083". Code 100 used to be very popular, but has fallen out of favor with many modelers due to the availability of more "fine scale" (prototypically correct) codes like 83 and 70. Code 83 would closely relate to modern 135 lb per yard mailine rail. Also, the smaller codes tend to have more accurate tie size and detail as well.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mariano and Welcome!
I believe that it would be correct to say that most HO modelers use Code 83 track with some using Code 83 for mainlines and code 70 for shortlines, spurs, and etc...
My preference is to use Atlas Code 83 Flex track everywhere. It is in long 3 foot sections that has a sliding rail so that you can curve it anywhere needed. Additional advantages of using flex track are: fewer joints, easy and less time installing than sectional.

Back