Toy Train Powerpack shock/safety?

Dameon

My nephew is really into Thomas the Tank Engine and so my brother in-law was asking me some questions about various toy trains. He had some concerns since they are electric and wondered about a shock hazard.

I told him that you should not leave metal across the rails as this will cause a short and could heat up, but that most good quality transformers (ie: not the ones in toy train sets) will cut out.

So, what are the shock hazards on those cheap train-set transformers/ controllers? My Brother in-law is still in sticker shock having gone from looking at wooden Thomas the Tank toy trains to G scale ones and also he doesn't know enough to tell quality from crap. I will probably donate my old Tech II pack to the cause for now.

If you put your fingers across the contacts or made contact with the lead wires, how bad could it shock you from either the AC or DC side? I honestly don't know as I, nor anyone I know in person, have ever had the inclination to test this.

Have you ever stuck your tongue on a 9 volt battery? That's about the worst shock you can get from any train power pack!

All of the modern "toy train" power packs I'm aware of have a "shut down" for short or overload protection. Most of the newer ones use "wall warts" to power the controller, so you only have 12-18 volts going to the controller.

Throw your Tech 2 in the bath tub,you have 110 volts to deal with... throw most toy train controllers in a bathtub, you have 12-18 volts... it may llight you up, but it won't hurt you.

I think he'll be glad to know there's nothing to worry about.

Rotor

That's on the wall of my train room!

MVC-027F.jpg

Rotor

I've shocked myself on a 16 volt DCC system trying to jump a block with two quarters. It didn't hurt, but it was a terribly unpleasant shock.

Many, many years ago the guitarist for the band I was in would test his 9volt batteries by sticking them on his tongue. Phil said that it was no big deal, so I let him test any I had.

Oh you can touch your tongue to a 9 volt, can't hold it there!
Seen it done, the guy burnt his tongue pretty good.
Can you say dum bass?

Back