Total admiration and respect!

When it comes to couplers, I usually cheat and use MTL trucks. They work well and roll better than most other trucks. I am not a serious modeler, my hobby is more for FUN. I also like to experiment. Some times I kitbash things, like my Jackson train station. I used 2 kits to get the parts for the effect I wanted and painted to match our local train station. I use Watco Danish oil for a wood finish. I comes in a variety of natural wood shades. I use it to finish my Model RR display cases. It does not leave a shine or over coat layer. It works & protects by soaking into the wood instead. I have used this for decades and my display cases have withstood the test of time.

Don't think I am going to have worry about those sorts of things for a long time. Still not sure how to do them on my HO engines, so there is no way in hell I'm going to attempt anything like that with N Scale :)

The newer Kato locos come with working knuckle couplers, NO need to change them to work with kadee's. Kato locos are hard to beat for price AND performance! Other brands also come with knuckle style couplers, some work better than others. .....................................................................................................................................................NOW is a good time for N-scale newbies.......

Or instead of changing out couplers, opting to body mount couplers, including building the coupler boxes out of styrene!

Or instead of changing out couplers, opting to body mount couplers, including building the coupler boxes out of styrene!

I'm almost at the "building the coupler boxes out of styrene" phase of my Erie-built custom project. So far all of the other conversions have been fairly smooth, I think this one is going to be tough.

The newer Kato locos come with working knuckle couplers, NO need to change them to work with kadee's. Kato locos are hard to beat for price AND performance! Other brands also come with knuckle style couplers, some work better than others. .....................................................................................................................................................NOW is a good time for N-scale newbies.......

I am kinda funny when it comes to certain things, if I have Bachmann Track (excuse me while I choke) I use Bachmann. If, as I do, have Kato Track then I will be now buying Kato equipment. Compatibility is a pretty big thing where I am concerned, especially when I don't have the skills or knowledge to make improvements to things such as engines - in any scale.

Tony, there shouldn't be any problems with compatibility to speak of between one manufacturer or another, thanks to NMRA standards. I have a Digitrax DCC controller that I use with both Digitrax and TCS decoders. I only have Atlas code 55 track but I have Atlas, Kato and LifeLike/Walthers locos that I use to pull cars made be Atlas, ConCor, InterMountain, Athearn, MicroTrains, Deluxe, Bachmann and Walthers coupled by Kato, MicroTrains, Accumate and McHenry couplers. I've replaced the plastic wheel sets on some cars with metal ones made by Atlas and Fox Valley. Sure, some items, couplers and decoders, (MicroTrains and TCS) work better than others but they all work with each other so there is no need to limit yourself to one brand of equipment on your layout.

Bob,

Your right, of course, and that is what I have on my HO layout - Bachmann and Athearn engines with Atlas, Athearn and some unknown makes of rolling stock and passenger cars. Only issue I have had is with one or two of the rolling stock not meeting up properly with the others couplers. Once I do get the layout operational again, I will be going though all of my engines and rolling stock and replacing any plastic wheel sets with good metal ones and all of the couplers with what ever is the best metal couplers to get. From what I understand, they will be Kadee Sets if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, that's all HO stuff - my N Scale isn't really big enough (at the moment) to worry about those sorts of things; however, one of my main reasons for buying the same make of say rolling stock, is to ensure that the couplers all match out of the box. Now I am looking at buying a few pieces of rolling stock, now the xmas box cars are back in storage till next year, err this year, I am going to need other rolling stock.

To that end, I am thinking about getting 3 or 4 cars but don't know what as yet or what makes to buy. All I know is that I don't want all box cars or all tank cars or all of the same thing. I do want a little variation of rolling stock but also want it to look natural - if that can be done with only 3 or 4 cars. I am saying 3 or 4 cars as I think anything longer on the layout would look a little funny, especially when you add the engine and a caboose.

Total track length is only about 68" long, so I am open to ideas and thoughts about the rolling stock - type, make and amount.

Thanks Lynn. Only very small but does seem to work well. Certainly has started to become more than originally intended though, but has been, was and still is "fun" to do.

I am with you Tony when it comes to having respect for N scalers. I had no problem working with N scale years ago. I did some scratchbuilding and custom painting on a number of locomotives, but that was back then. But things are a bit different now that I have gotten older. The old peepers aren't what they used to be. I have about four or five sets of these hanging around. Sure am glad that I moved to HO scale now.

attachment.php

I like EYE CANDY ........ I C it, I like it, I buy it. brand has made NO difference for me. I like MTL, but buy mostly other brands, if it's something I like/want and replace the trucks with MTL trucks (w/couplers) so NO problems with coupler height anyway.

So you would recommend MTL engines. I have never heard of that make, but that doesn't mean anything either. Thanks for the recommendation and I will take a look at their website now.

MTL......... Micro Trans Line, makers of Kadee couplers & trucks etc. ............. I have one MTL loco, a F3/7? covered wagon in Ringling circus livery. It's OK but not near as good as Kato and just as expensive if not more than the better Kato locos. The ONLY reason I got it was to go with my circus train. For some reason everything other than locos are fantastic from MTL.

Thanks for that. The Xmas Box Cars I have are MTL and I do like them. After looking at a number of Locomotives, the Kato ones seem to be the best in terms of quality, price and availability. The only downside with Kato is their very limited, virtually non existent, Steam Engine range, and that is disappointing from my perspective.

I have always liked the F3 -7 loco's though and would buy one if I were to get a diesel at some point, and I am sure I will. So your experience with the Kato F3/7 is good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back