tooters scooters...

Just came up with a really short 18' Tooter Gondola... :)

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

how do you get the coal out the bottom? :D

Just playing.. it looks very cool.

I like little odd ball stuff also. Im currently building 20 little Round house overton cars. to go with those short passenger cars I Built a few 25' flat cars. I also have a few short mail/box cars that I am going to use behind my small steam..

The coal comes out that little itty bitty V shaped chute in the bottom... one piece at a time... ;)

That's quite clever your putting the flat car cut along the second center row of rivets. :)

I didn't realize that it would be this much fun kitbashing. It's ironic, I might have never found this out if the space was ready to start building a layout. I'm sure I would have just gotten some RTR cars and worked on the layout instead. Just seeing your cool yard pictures makes me itchy to get going on it. But for right now I'm working on a shorty two, or maybe even a one truck tender for my old Rivarossi 0-4-0 steamer. :rolleyes:

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah.. thats the edge of the pink foam board and it has started to Lean a little. but I like our thinking,,,like any old railroad the track was always a little rough.... :)

I didn't realize that it would be this much fun kitbashing. It's ironic, I might have never found this out if the space was ready to start building a layout. I'm sure I would have just gotten some RTR cars and worked on the layout instead. Just seeing your cool yard pictures makes me itchy to get going on it. But for right now I'm working on a shorty two, or maybe even a one truck tender for my old Rivarossi 0-4-0 steamer. :rolleyes:

Greg

I kit bashed that tender also. I built it up with the high sides. its a Bachmann 2-8-0 with a Tsunami sound decoder. I want to get 2 more so I can triple head a long Southern IL coal drag.

thats whay I enjoy about modeling steam Era. you can make just about anything and it likely was used or tried at one point in time. Also if you make it yourself you wont find another one like it on a store shelf.

I kit bashed that tender also. I built it up with the high sides.

That's a nice clean job. :)
If you didn't tell me I wouldn't have known it wasn't originally made that way.

thats why I enjoy about modeling steam Era. you can make just about anything and it likely was used or tried at one point in time. Also if you make it yourself you wont find another one like it on a store shelf.

Yes. It's intriguing to look at everything as raw materials when you realize that the combinations are endless. :)

Greg

The latest Tooter creation, a One Truck Caboose... :)

IMG_4483.jpg

Just finished painting it this evening... still needs Kadees installed.

I cant tell if thats going to run really smooth or be a constant headache. Either way, its still pretty neat looking.

Is the truck free spinning or is it firm to the bottom?

I cant tell if thats going to run really smooth or be a constant headache. Either way, its still pretty neat looking.

Life is all about finding out... ;)

IMG_4486.jpg

Is the truck free spinning or is it firm to the bottom?

Now THAT would be hilarious!... a caboose that spins around! :D

The truck is clamped onto the base, and the car is also weighted, so I think it'll run just fine. :)

Greg

Thatd be one dizzy crew ;)

I bet its possible though, itd probably take some minor engineering. Put a ring around the caboose, put a coupler in the track and let her spin. Now the problem is making sure it actually spins while the coupler stays in place and doesnt tear the rest of the train off the tracks. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, i asked because i think a truck that has alittle movement would do better than a truck with no movement. I think itd just flow alittle easier. I cant wait to hear how it actually runs, cause now im curious :D

I cant wait to hear how it actually runs, cause now im curious :D

Hey Little, :)

That might be a while... :rolleyes:
...as I'm a total newbie:confused: and have only actually been modelling cars for about 4 months. I haven't even started on building a layout yet!:( Although I might put down a test track on the carpet, but that's a pain because of needing to take it up immediately so it doesn't get stepped on.

Greg

^thats what i do, the Hardwoods and Bedroom RR :rolleyes:

Think about it this way though, no benchwork means endless trackplans.

Greg, When I was about 11 yrs. old I use to run a ride at an Amusement park called the Toonerville Trolley that looked just like that caboose. The ride had one truck just like that & when it got to the middle of the ride it would spin around twice. The track was real short & had a bunch of short winding curves. The little kids would scream after it spun, but when they got off of the ride they laughed & thought it was fun.

Hey Larry, :)

I loved those kinds of rides. We had similar ones that were inside large darkened rooms and which had various themes. They were motorized cars that rolled on rubber tires, and were guided by a single rail that would wind and twist all around the room while triggering switches to activate sound, lights, and mechanical features.

When I saw this on a Japanese site... I thought of you. :)

63.jpg

Greg

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong. In the real world, I don't think that caboose would work. At the end of a train, it may. But, if it were in the middle, or if it was pushed, it would not track. I'm not out to burst your bubble, Tooter. I'm just thinking of the laws of physics.

(Yes, this is supposed to be fun, so I shouldn't go all technical, eh?)

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong. In the real world, I don't think that caboose would work. At the end of a train, it may. But, if it were in the middle, or if it was pushed, it would not track. I'm not out to burst your bubble, Tooter. I'm just thinking of the laws of physics.

(Yes, this is supposed to be fun, so I shouldn't go all technical, eh?)

Hi Dad, :)

It'll work just fine, as all of my trains are all composed of really small cars,
and Cabooses are supposed to go on the end of the train anyways. ;)

IMG_4055.png

IMG_4330.png

Just got an old all diecast metal log buggie today. This makes three cars all made by Model Engineering Works, and all around 50 years old.

IMG_4488.jpg

Greg

Back