tooters scooters...

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong. In the real world, I don't think that caboose would work. At the end of a train, it may. But, if it were in the middle, or if it was pushed, it would not track. I'm not out to burst your bubble, Tooter. I'm just thinking of the laws of physics.

(Yes, this is supposed to be fun, so I shouldn't go all technical, eh?)

Thats a valid question, i didnt pick up a sense of "Rivet Counter". The more i think about it, the more i think it should run fine. Its basically the same platform as a scale test car, and RRs run those in consist all the time.

Hmmm...scale test car = heavy, small, low center of gravity. Single truck caboose = Light, large, high center of gravity. It's a cute little caboose, but it does defy the laws of physics...but, then again, so do a lot of your other cars, Tooter, and they're still cute. :D

Not rivit counting here but I think the singel truck cars will work just fine in the model railroad world, However I think that in the real world it would present issues as it has such a short wheel base and that could tend to force the cars to the left or right when pushed. Not a proble with a short train but a long train I could see issues. Regardless I like how they look.

I think with your skill level your ready to start a layout. Even a 4x8 with 14-15" radius would give you a pretty cool short line to show off your work.

Hi mac, :)

I'm working on a place to build a layout. Removed 21 cubic yards so far with only 6 more to go... :)

IMG_4364.jpg

...jackhammering a basement under the house. All of the engines and rolling stock can easily negotiate 10" radius curves on the micro layout I'm planning to build...

IMG_4358.png

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured you could do 10" radius. thats good news..

let me guess...that was a crawl space? and now its one bucket at a time untill its so deep that you can call it a bacement....?

I figured you could do 10" radius. thats good news..

let me guess...that was a crawl space? and now its one bucket at a time untill its so deep that you can call it a basement....?

Yes, a crawlspace... :)
You can see the original level of the dirt at the back. It was diffiecult to start digging because there was no place to stand. When I finish off the rest of the hammering, the room will be 12' x 24'. While a lot of that will be storage, there'll be enough room for a nice work bench and a small layout table.

Greg

Looks like there will be plenty of space. when done... are you going to add a concrete floor and sump pump...? I see that you found the right trick of Drilling the dirt and letting it air out so that it helps crumble with the use of a pick and shovel. Almost looks like your ready to bring in a garden tiller or post hole digger to get it more of that "hill" louse

Rototiller? Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. I once contracted my little brother (young and broke) to dig a hole for me for a septic tank. He and his buddy took turns lowering a tiller down into the hole to break up the hard clay. When the hole got nearly to the depth needed (about 4 feet) the exhaust gasses nearly overcame them. They each earned their 2 dollars that day!

You will be proud of your basement when it's done due to all the back breaking work you put into it.

Well you have to be the first I've ever heard of that is using a jackhammer to build a layout! How prototypical can one guy get??
Maybe leave a little hill to tunnel into...

Hey, that would be cool, an actual little mountain range to tunnel through. :) Tooter, it sounds like you know what you're doing, but be careful about confined space issues as you get deeper. I assume you plan on using some kind of side bracing system. We'd sure hate to learn you got buried in your new train room. :eek:

Not to worry... all the sides are all solid concrete. :)
After the backhoe dug most of the foundation, I spent four more days in the bottoms of the footings digging for China. So I know they're all down to 8 feet. The foundation itself is one monolothic continuous concrete pour of 27 cubic yards surrounding a wired rebar framwork. We're in a high seismic zone so the building codes here are very strict.

• Too cool, Tooter! You live in an Italian villa.
  • Jim, when I die I only hope it is while working on my layout.

Hey check this out ! i was looking around for a mp15 ac pircture and i found this :
22603-UP.jpg

The concept might interest you

Oooh... nice. I like it. :)

...but $180!:eek:

(edit) Oh, wait... that's G scale!

ART22605.jpg

A Roundhouse EMD 40 does just fine for a small spur industrial locomotive. :)

IMG_3770.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An old brass tender arrived in the mail today to go with the equally old Rivarossi steamer...

IMG_4490.jpg

...it needed the bumper straightened, a fresh coat of paint, a pair of all metal Kadee sprung trucks, and #148 couplers with draft boxes to set it right. :)

Tooter, you have the vote of approval. My daughter thinks your train is "cute" and she hates trains. :) That engine is really a tank engine, so the tender isn't very prototypical, not that that matters on the Tooter Lines. :D One thing you might try is replacing the couplers with a shorter drawbar made from plastic scrap. You could get the tender closer to the engine and help disguise the coal bunker hanging off the back.

Back