To foam or not to foam?

it all depends on what level you plan on getting into this, i think. if you just want real quick circle some simple scenery grassmat and structures - then skip the foam. if you plan on taking it to the next level and create a somewhat accurate scale model, foam is a must for the reasons already mentioned. the only downside to foam is it is pretty expensive. last time i checked it was about 30.00 for a 4X8 sheet..IMO worth it for any good layout.

I ripped up my first layout which was foam (Woodland Scenics roadbed) on foam (Dow Square Edge blue styrofoam) and it was a waste of time. The pink or blue foam is fine for making hills and such, but the next layout will have track resting on cork on plywood. The terrain will be foam.

I had problems with track maintaining alignment and gage. Flex track wanted to straighten, and didn't say even. This layout was in a climate controlled room. There simply wasn't anything to keep the track in place.

I ripped up my first layout which was foam (Woodland Scenics roadbed) on foam (Dow Square Edge blue styrofoam) and it was a waste of time. The pink or blue foam is fine for making hills and such, but the next layout will have track resting on cork on plywood. The terrain will be foam.

I had problems with track maintaining alignment and gage. Flex track wanted to straighten, and didn't say even. This layout was in a climate controlled room. There simply wasn't anything to keep the track in place.

If you're track wasn't staying in place on the foam surface, that's an issue with they way you installed it. Did you use caulk? You can't use nails.

I prefer foam. I have 2" layer of foam, and it's great. I use cheap acrylic latex caulk. I use it to attach the cork roadbed to the foam, and also the track to the roadbed.

Again, this depends on how in depth you want to get. If you're serious about it, then foam is the way to go. If you're just interested in watching trains go around in circles on a basic layout, then you'd be wasting your time with the foam. Also, if you do decide to use foam, be forewarned, it's VERY messy, and the "dust" gets into everything, so take appropriate precautions to protect locos, and rolling stock etc...

Hope this helps!

foam on top of the board, rght? like 1"?

Yes you lay the foam layer on top of your plywood base. 2" is best. So you can create scenery, and dig down into the foam layer for ditches, streams, lakes, etc. It's really not that messy. I cut it with a regular steak knife. Just have a vacuum handy.

And use latex caulk to glue down the foam to the plywood.

Make sure you get builders foam (at Home Depot or Lowes) either the Dow Pink foam or blue foam. Do not get the white bead foam.

I've got a couple rolls of WS foam road bed. Easy to use, but I won't use it on an operating layout. It was too "squishy" for lack of a better term. I can see where there might be an issue with it.

Same with the gummy "Self-Adhesive" track bed (I forget who makes that) we used on an N scale layout as a test. I won't try that again!

The blue and pink (or green) "total wall" insulating foam board makes a good base for a layout. And cork roadbed, or the "Homasote" roadbed are proven reliable roadbeds.

I prefer the cork myself.

Rotor

The WS roadbed has no lateral strength, meaning that flex track attached, via caulk or foam glue, will want to return to straight. The lack of strength in the foam roadbed means for not a solid base for track, especially when attached to Dow blue foam.

When I took apart the layout recently, the Blue foam easily separated from itself and the plywood it was caulked/glued/liquid nails for foam on. For me, it was worthless as a stable base to lay track.

I have used cork on previous layouts and was satisfied, but now I prefer the WS foam roadbed. I haven't any experience with WS roadbed on top of foam sub-roadbed, but I can say that the differences between cork and WS direct on plywood are negligible (other than the WS is easier to work with and somewhat cheaper). Once the ballast is on there are no noticeable differences that I can detect when mounted direct to plywood, sound or otherwise.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the WS HO Foam Road bed mounted by white glue to 1" styrofoam. I used code 83 flextrack and some sectional track. I eventually ballasted the track and secured it w dilluted whiteglue.

I have have had ZERO problems using the WS Foam Board. When I was a kid (ie my last layout), I had foam. At that time, there were no other options.

Like most things in this hobby, this is another that largely comes down to personal choice.

In terms of sound absorption, what kind of improvement is there from track on wood.
To track on cork on wood
To track on cork on foam on wood?

I'd imagine the cork alone is like night and day. is tehre an equal leap with using foam or only a little better?

Also, if not using foam and only using cork, what is the best way to install? Does nailing through the cork into the plywood work? Or does one start having to use caulk for that?

Back