Tire Manufacturing Process & Raw Materials

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
As I continue to build my Tire Facility I am trying to learn the in's and out's of how exactly a tire is made. I was able to find a couple pretty cool articles online of how they are made and the raw materials that go into the making of them.

I think that the Wiki article was the best of the two that ive read so far so ill share that one.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_manufacturing

For starters, the main raw materials that go into the tire manufacturing process are:
  • Natural Rubber OR a Synthetic Rubber
  • Polybutadiene (used in combination with other rubbers because of its low heat-buildup properties)
  • Carbon Black
  • Silicone Dioxide
  • Sulphur (used in the vulcanization process)
  • Vulcanizing Accelerators
  • Vulcanizing Activators such as Zinc Oxide
  • Antioxidants and antiozonants prevent sidewall cracking due to the action of sunlight and ozone
  • Textile materials (steel belts)

For my facility, id like to have a designated unloading rack/space for each of these main types of raw materials. I already plan on having an unloading track for Carbon Black Covered Hoppers into storage tanks, designated track for unloading large spools of steel wire, as well as an unloading rack for hydrochloric acid (for processing the raw steel spools) into a storage tank. Ive got 8 TALL storage tanks from the Walthers Magic Pan Bakery kits that I was thinking of using for the storage of some of these raw materials. Was thinking 2 for Carbon Black, 2 for Natural Rubber, 1 for Hydrochloric Acid, 1 for Sulphur, 1 for Silicone Dioxide, 1 for Zinc Oxide. Ive also got 3 smaller storage tanks that will be on the roof and was thinking that those could be used for the various other accelerators and activators that are not used in such large quantities in the process.

I do have a couple questions though, maybe you guys could help answer as far as how some of these raw materials are transported and delivered to facilities like these.. What types of rail cars would the following materials be transported in?;
  • Natural Rubber
  • Silicone Dioxide
  • Zinc Oxide

As always, any and all thoughts, suggestions, and first hand knowledge is welcomed and greatly appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back