Thinking of building a layout 1 section at a time...

railBuilderDhd

I’m in the planning phase of my layout and was thinking I would build the layout in sections. This way I can build a section (or two – optimistic I can build fast) now and when I move and have more room I can join the completed sections and build out to the final layout sections. I’m building in HO scale (FYI). Here’s the big question: I would like to know if anyone has thoughts on the best way to build a layout section by section. Should I plan the entire layout first or just build off the completed section(s). Also, is it better to model a layout after a real rail line or create a model that’s fictional?
dhd

I too am planning to build a layout one section at a time. I haven't started anything yet, but I'm curious what kind of advice you get. I was thinking of trying to loosely plan an entire layout based on future space. The kicker is not knowing what the future space will be. I really enjoy continuous running, but I enjoy building scenery and kits more. If you have an idea of what you want, you can use that goal as your guide when building future sections. At least, that's the way I'm going to go about it.

It sounds as if you have the same plan and want to get the same out of your model as I. I like the continual running rail but I want to build scenery such as a loading dock, train yard, refinery, and maybe have a grain elevator and/or cement plant. I have no idea what room I will have available in the future but I have thought of how I would like to have the layout with sections based on the different scenery. But the one thing I hear over and over is don’t over extend yourself on the payout, that’s why I would like to do one section at a time.
dhd

Free-Mo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-mo

http://www.free-mo.org/

You should build to some kind of standard, because you're going to be joining all your modules together. Free-Mo allows you to mix-n-match your stuff to fit whatever space you end up having.

Though I'll also say here that I bring up Free-Mo more as something to look at to get your own ideas. You don't have to follow them exactly, unless you join a Free-Mo club.

Kennedy

Reading your first post made me laugh. I am in the exact situation as you. I to am going to build one section, maybe two if I'm lucky!

If you're planning on moving, building in sections is the best thing to do. I have a 4x8 right now, it's going in the trash. It's movable, but not easily. My first layout has pointed out things that I would really like. One of those is broad curves to accommodate large steam and a troop transport. The other thing I would like is a believable backdrop. With a two foot width, I'll have enough depth for scenery and a place to add a backdrop to extend the illusion of depth. This also allows the train to go through the scenery only once instead of looping back on itself.

I'm probably going to build mine out of two inch thick foam board. I'll probably build some sort of framing to support it and protect the sides. I'm not sure if I'll make it free standing or place in on a shelf. Two feet wide may be a bit much for a shelf in an apartment.

Good luck with your planning. We'll see if there are any words of wisdom from the more experienced modelers here.

I built mine sectional, (not modular), for the same reasons as the two of you mentioned earlier.
I built the yard first so I could lay track, switch cars, do a little scenery.
Then I built some industries around the yard so the cars would have somewhere to go and I could practice building structures.
Staging tracks came next so I could have arrivals and departures, and more scenery. Two corner sections keep me from hitting the walls at either end.
The center section of the yard is the only section that I can take out and / or add to as the tracks are the same at both ends. (I'm up against the walls right now so no more yard tracks unless I can negotiate for more space)
I don't plan on ever joining to anyone elses layout, but I do like the Free-Mo idea, could do one section up with that in mind.
I went with 1/2 plywood ripped into three inch strips for framing as I've had bad experiances with 1x4's in the past. All sections have 2x2 legs with adjusters for height.
Well there's a couple points for you to start with.

You are looking to do essentially the same thing as Free-mo or NTRAK do.....With either, each section might be built by a different person. Obviously the problem there is there is no consistency to the scenery, although the sections all fit together. Since you are building ALL the sections for your layout,you can standardize on your scenery so everything matches. And I'd think you could go either direction on the track work. You can make a "plan" and then build a couple of sections....the downside there, is you don't know what your new space will look like..the plan you start on may not fit later on. Or you can make up a standard for yourself about where track will enter or exit your sections, and then build more sections to fit your space later after. Or better yet, use the Free-mo standards.....that way you have the option of joining a club and using your modules even if you never get that "perfect place" we all hope for.

Okay, I wasn’t thinking when I started the post about Free-Mo or the way NTrack is done. I plan to build my sections only to one day be joined to one large layout of my own. I was thinking of sections because I only have so much room now but we will be moving to a larger home in a year or so (based on the market). When we move I’ll expand my current layout or join the sections I’ve built into one layout. I do like the idea that you can join layouts like Free-Mo but MRLdave is correct, the scenery will never match. I’m not looking for this I want to have one continues layout that will flow.
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and good ideas and I may build a section that would fit to Free-Mo but that’s not the goal.
dhd

I think you misundertood MRLDave's point. Since you will be building all the sections, you can make the scenery match exactly, When you have a Free-Mo section, it's hard to get the scenery to match up because the next section was built by someone else. Using Free-Mo or nTrak standards will allow you to buld one continuous layout but you can do it in sections. If you plan it right, you'll never be able to see where one section starts and another ends.

Right. The idea being that if you move, you can recombine your modules in different sequence (to an extent) to fit your new space. You're not stuck in a specific order, unless, of course, you have a town that crosses multiple modules. Even then, you could design them to skip one or two if needed and it would still look right.

Kennedy

Thanks guys.......yes, my point was you could chose a layout plan and break it into sections and only build certain sections, but if your new location doesn't fit the plan you started with, you'll have sections that may be very difficult to use. By using the free-mo standards you should always be able to combine the sections.....the "join a club" thing would just be an added benefit if a club was available in your area.

I am throwing my hat into the "rebuilding my layout one section at a time" group as well. The way I am planing it is to build 1 1/2ft x 8ft or 2ft x 8ft sections with certain parts of the track ending on the edges at certian points. This way I can easily modify the next section if need be.

Another thing I should mention is that I went with 2' by 6' modules, simply because if I can get up or down the stairs and through a door, so can they.
I also have a truck with a covered six foot box, so transporting in all kinds of weather conditions can be done.

Truck bed liner

Does your truck have a bed liner. Maybe you should make them 5' 8". Just in case.

NYC_George

I recently got my hands on a spare bedroom...and I am planning a modular design based on the "bend trak" system.

Back