The Uffington and Davis Railroad (The Uff Da Line)

And oh by the way.... The out and back track plan you have here is, in my opinion, the ultimate solution for a small railroad. Three thumbs up. You can get all the operation of a point-to-point, plus the rail fan effect of an infinite number of loops on the main without HAVING to stop, switch, and go back the other way. And no need for a second space wasting reversing loop.

I presume you know your yard only really has three classification tracks, because so much of it is sucked up with the locomotive escape on the arrival track (green is all wasted), and the switchback tail for the ladder bypass.

It is possible to reclaim that whole escape track for a classification operationally. First the train could just pull in and let the locomotive sit there until the yard engine works the train off of it into the yard. The yard engine could sit waiting on the ladder, the ladder bypass track, or the turntable lead. If you think the train is going to be too long and blocking one of those turnouts, you could add a switcher pocket (blue).

Second, is what I've done on my son's small yard. I use the yard ladder as the arrival track. The ladder bypass tail track becomes the locomotive escape track (pink).

So that.
  1. switcher positions itself on the ladder bypass track.
  2. train pulls in and through the ladder
  3. switcher pulls out behind
  4. switcher couples on to rear of train and pulls it back of the locomotive to clear the ladder bypass turnout.
  5. road engine reverses out of the tail track onto the bypass. (changing the leads to the turntable slightly could let it go straight in. (aqua or maroon(
  6. otherwise switcher starts working the train until it gets it sorted enough that the road engine can clear to the turntable track.
Alternate Yard.jpg

RAT%20Lines.JPG

Last edited:
Greetings all!

It has been much too long, but want you to know I am still in the hobby.

I got really bogged down winter into spring on a project to automate the turnouts for the yard and its entries. The project became 'too much' and I backed away from the Rr for a few months. But am returning now.

I did one project, though not really a layout project, is an improvement to rolling stock.

Upon entering the hobby, I just picked up a few pieces to get trains running. One was the Walthers Cupola Caboose in BNSF colors:

Well, that does not really fit as my era is pre-merger. So I disassembled and redid the caboose:

20230805_120136.jpg

20230805_120127.jpg
20230805_120145.jpg
20230805_120013.jpg

I disassembled and primed the body and cupola. Painted in MILW maroon. Glued in plastic for windows, weathered the trucks and wheels. Painted in some trim details and then added the decals.

Far rom perfect, but I am happy with the result. Man, working with those itsy-bitsy decals was a learning curve!!

Thanks for the view! Carry on!

Steve J

Really need to finish up the layout. Here is my latest thoughts on the inside the loop tracks. This gives me a runaround and means to sort and move cars south without going in head first. Just seems like a bunch of track in a small space.

I do welcome all your thoughts!

231030.jpg

All the yard tracks and two outer loops are done and work well. I enjoy running trains on the outer loops and making/breaking trains in the yard. No it is time to finish up the interior and begin scenery work.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Steve J

Back