The Paragon & Neushore

waredbear

Okay, it is time to get your advise. I've read books, viewed layouts on-line, and I have several old and new Atlas layout books. I want a line with a yard with two passing tracks to keep the main open. I also want a few spurs scattered around for local freight. I finally landed on the Yard Master with a few mods...of course. :) I couldn't sleep the other night so I started transferring the track plan to XTrakCad. I finished it this morning and ran a few trains around. I like it. I figure this will be a good starter track for my four year old grandson and me to get our feet wet. What do you think?

nice starter set, the outside tracks look really close to the edge, i would maybe suggest since your grandson will be using it to enlarge it to a 5x9 at least giving you a 6" border around the outside tracks encase of a derailment

You have facing point sidings with no runarounds nearby. And that's ok if you plan on running two trains - one clockwise and one counterclockwise - to switch your industries. Otherwise you'll need to back trains quite a distance.

You have facing point sidings with no runarounds nearby. And that's ok if you plan on running two trains - one clockwise and one counterclockwise - to switch your industries. Otherwise you'll need to back trains quite a distance.

I ran two trains on it yesterday inside XTrakCad. I ran one train clockwise as the through train and then I had two switchers. One running the yard and one running the local freight. They had to help each other when the one came into the yard from the right pushing cars but that added to the thrill. I think it might be an interesting spin. Trying to avoid blocking the main kept me on my toes. This will definiately have to be DCC. :D

I ran two trains on it yesterday inside XTrakCad. I ran one train clockwise as the through train and then I had two switchers. One running the yard and one running the local freight. They had to help each other when the one came into the yard from the right pushing cars but that added to the thrill. I think it might be an interesting spin. Trying to avoid blocking the main kept me on my toes. This will definiately have to be DCC. :D

Sounds good.

Back