The MR forum's back up!

I sent them a email with ideas how to cut there cost in all as saw where someone from there had posted the time and money that is spent in there by them and I thanked them for it and all I got back was an email saying all should be fine now

RT

Ken, that's a good point.
Having the Moderators in the group probably makes the big difference. To be totally honest about this, I haven't been very happy with the way they went about locking the forums. Other than a threat, there were no times posted for the lockup, no explanations, and they punished everyone instead of focusing on the problem. I had guests during the time of the trolls, so I never saw their post, only the MR threat. I have to feel for those that knew absolutely nothing about what happened.

> For one, it's a lot quicker than the MR forum

Glad to hear that. We use Vbulletin, one of the best forum programs out there, and it's specifically designed to handle a large number of concurrent users. It's a very stable and well designed program.

If you've visited the railroadforums section, you'll see that there are consistently 100 or more users online at one time, and it runs well.

> and seems a lot more diversified.

We're also open to suggestions and ideas. We have quite a few special interest areas, and we'll be glad to add more if there's interest. So if you'd like a topic for your favorite type of modular design, such as N-track, or one about modeling in On30 or whatever, just let us know. We'll do our best to provide areas that match our member's interests.

modelbob said:
> For one, it's a lot quicker than the MR forum

Glad to hear that. We use Vbulletin, one of the best forum programs out there, and it's specifically designed to handle a large number of concurrent users. It's a very stable and well designed program.

If you've visited the railroadforums section, you'll see that there are consistently 100 or more users online at one time, and it runs well.

> and seems a lot more diversified.

We're also open to suggestions and ideas. We have quite a few special interest areas, and we'll be glad to add more if there's interest. So if you'd like a topic for your favorite type of modular design, such as N-track, or one about modeling in On30 or whatever, just let us know. We'll do our best to provide areas that match our member's interests.

Modelbob

I am very impressed with the speed of page loads. I used to be in the "business" of hosting and I always felt .php was a much better language then .asp which is what the MR forums are. You guys have a great site, I am one of those refugees that has decided to make this my home, while I will visit MR from time to time, the flames and perpetual personal attacks, are something I don't see here, which I think adds to the enjoyment of the hobby and the members.

Just my 2¢

> I am very impressed with the speed of page loads.

Thank you...

> I used to be in the "business" of hosting and I always
> felt .php was a much better language then .asp which
> is what the MR forums are.

Yes, I totally agree. This software (Vbulletin) is written specifically for discussion forums. The authors are very open to user comments and suggestions and continually improve and upgrade it. It's the best program I could find. The forum shares a dedicated server with the railroadforums.com site and a couple others. We have a pretty heavy duty server, and work hard to keep things running quickly.

> You guys have a great site, I am one of those refugees
> that has decided to make this my home,

Thank you, I'm very glad to hear that. I hope that the rest of the folks will join you, and get this place really going. We have some great potential here, and with this much activity I suspect the place will get even busier as more folks join the fun.

I'm willing to work with everyone as the place grows to add topics, re-arrange things and to provide the best experience possible. The staff here doesn't write magazines, so the forum is our main focus. We will do everything we can to make it the best one around.

> while I will visit MR from time to time, the flames and perpetual
> personal attacks, are something I don't see here, which I think
> adds to the enjoyment of the hobby and the members.

Thank you. You won't see personal attacks here, or flames. They simply aren't tolerated. The Railroadforums.com site is quite busy, and from time to time we have somebody show up with a chip on their shoulder. Over the past couple of years the staff has learned how to handle those situations quickly and fairly. We haven't had those kind problems here yet, but if we do they will be handled in a prompt manner. Keeping the place friendly and enjoyable for everyone is our primary goal.

My only wish, is more smilies ;) I was a ravinous user of the thumbs up smiley.

I just hope none of the that mess has followed any of us over here
Hi Rex, don't worry about that, if it does, it will be stamped on right away without punishing the other members. A word to the wise though, if someone starts trolling, just ignore them as if they hadn't posted at all. Their post will be removed and life will go on around here as if the incident hadn't happened. We value our members, without them we couldn't have a forum. Life's like that :D
I guess we should add another caution to the quick rules Keep it civil, keep it clean and do not retaliate just report the incident.
At the top right of each post there is an icon
report.gif
click on it to report a post and a message will be sent to all moderators or mediators as the case may require.

13.gif
Willis

With this forum and Railroad Line Forums I also discovered recently, the MR forum is becoming more and more irrelevant to my interests these days. I don't really need nor want to read a threads that say "What kind of railroad are you?".

Railphotog said:
With this forum and Railroad Line Forums I also discovered recently, the MR forum is becoming more and more irrelevant to my interests these days. I don't really need nor want to read a threads that say "What kind of railroad are you?".

I kind of noticed that today when I was over at MR too. BTW thanks for posting the clinic.

Hi Bob, you might also be interested in the SteamPreservation.Com which is a sister forum, the link is at the top of the page along with the RailroadForums.com all three forums have seperate photo galleries.

"What kind of railroad are you?".
These kind of threads if posted anywhere else, will be moved to the ANPL CLUB CAR (off Topic) they contribute little or nothing to real discussions. Having said that, I admit they do perform one usefull function in keeping a group together until someone thinks of a good topic to discuss. :D

13.gif
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:

Back