The Last Run

The Last Run

My dad made me empty out my room at his house now that I have my own house. One of the things that has been sitting there idle for a dozen years now was my old N Scale model Railroad Layout. I decided to stage this "last run" before I dismantle the layout. I have every intention of building a new one some day, hopefully sooner than later.

These photos only show 1/2, as I never finished this 1/2 and never even started the urban 1/2.

IMG_1866sm.jpg

IMG_1867sm.jpg

IMG_1870sm.jpg

IMG_1872sm.jpg

Wow, looks like it was a great beginning!
I've started over many times, each layout better than the last.
New house have a basement? (hint hint)

Wow, looks like it was a great beginning!
I've started over many times, each layout better than the last.
New house have a basement? (hint hint)

Thanks. Yes my house has a basement.... well kind of. Its a raised ranch so 1/3 of the basement is garage, 1/3 of the basement if a finished family room(full of my photography business at the min), and 1/3 is mostly utility room with the front part being a finished entry way to the house. There is room where the layout is in the utility room, however I might add a second bathroom down there some day so I am not sure if there will be room.

I also think that as I dismantle this layout, I will be switching back to HO scale. The older I get, I am less worried about getting as much track in as possiable, rather I would like to have more detail and realism and bigger cars so my fat fingers can get those details on better.

Yep you wont regret that choice...I am a HO guy myself but having said that I or we dont want to say that N scale doesnt have its advantages as well. Its all pros and cons and personal choices and reasons (givens and druthers) that is the BEAUTY of this hobby it can be "tailored made for you"!

That N scale layout you have was a good start for ya! Looks great! Good luck on the next layout venture! We look forward to its progress when you begin!

Looks like you had a good start on the old layout and starting a new one should be even better since you can learn by the mistakes you made on the old one. Switching to HO will be a space challenge compared to N scale but I think you'll be happy with the results.

Wow, thank for all you positive words on the old layout everyone!

I think HO scale is going to be a fun switch, so N scale modelers look for some ebay auctions this fall.

As far as my new layout, I Have been talking to Zephyr about modeling a modern day Burlington Northern here in the midwest. It think some ES44AC all painted up in the Green and Black would be cool. However, I really have this obsession with color lately and just wonder the the old Green and Black would look like on photographs so I might need to build a little HO scale diroama to see how they look in photos.

Back