The Greenbrier Logging and Lumber Co.

OleSmokey

Hi folks, I am new to this forum but not to model railroading. I didn't know about this forum until i started reading a thread started by HOexplorer. I met him on another site. Lots of good reading. I started out with about 3 years of layout plans and starting to buy the kits and getting things ready for the layout itself. This last year i finally got a plan i liked and started and as i figured that some things just don't fit right. I had to make three changes to it just in the last couple of months. Right now it is foam with plaster over it. Using Kato track and turnouts. As the title says this is a logging and lumber co based loosely on many of the old logging lines around the 1920's or so and in West Virginia where i was born. I can remember when there was still old steam rumbling down the tracks near my familys home. We lived in Kessler and that is close to Rupert. Down the road The old sawmill in the Meadow creek is most likley gone. I worked in a sawmill up north in the Charlestown area. That was in Greenbrier county so i used that name. The local rr was the Nicholas-Fayette Greenbrier RR. It had connections with the then C&O RR. I don't have a lot of room in the home. Its a 5th wheel rv that we do fulltiming. I t is 3X5 ft and gives you 15 sq feet of layout to work with. Large in the home but way smaller than some i have seen. It fits me good so i am happy. Now if i can figure out how i can get pictures from my computer to here...I know i can but need to remember how. seems each site has a different way of doing it. Have a good day, Dan, (Ole Smokey)View attachment 50437View attachment 50438View attachment 50439View attachment 50440

Thanks for the pictures Dan. Looks like you're off to a good start. Sure like what I'm seeing. Keep the pictures coming.

Chet

Nothing much to tell, I brushed some white water in to the waterfall. Its looking somewhat better. I am still not happy with it yet. Its still drying as there is still white patches in the river. The sawmill moat is still pretty much white yet too. I hope to see it clear one of these days. View attachment 50484View attachment 50485

I did some work on the layout today. Most of it was scenery. When i made the mountains i didn't plan any other bodys of water but the river and waterfall. But i got to looking at one area on the top of one of the mountains. It was perfect for a pond. Jim (HOExplorer) will love this. I had some scenery done too. But wanted to show how things just sometimes don't come out how we planned. It came out better!!! View attachment 50488View attachment 50489View attachment 50490

Hehe Yep they be magic mushrooms for sure. have to update the photos. They are Magic, they just Disappeared all the sudden.

I made a house for one of the places on my layout that was a downloaded paper model. My dw asked why i can't make a few of them for company houses. So i made six. Not bad. I had four when i took the shots but there was two still in construction. Nothing like a shoe string budget. I did modify them some to make them more like a house. There ok i guess. For now.....View attachment 50806View attachment 50807

I finished the houses and have started to make stumps. One of the kits,(can't remember which one), Had 3 stumps. I painted them as they were white metal. Then i tried some small branches that blew out of a tree in our yard. We had a really bad high wind thunderstorm. I cut them and made stumps and the debris that was made with that i am saving for scenery around the different stumps. Have about 2 oz. of it right now. Also made fell trees too. All just the right size for the little 25 foot flat cars. DanView attachment 50841View attachment 50842View attachment 50843View attachment 50844

I have added a few stumps to the layout and some logs along with it. I found these limbs from our trees here. We had some really strong storms with hail and high winds. The trees here have shed some limbs and other stuff. I cut it up and made stumps and now have some on the layout too see how they look. I am going to have to paint some of the logs as the bark just fell off. I saved that for when i landscape them after ground cover is on. Not sure if i need less or leave it like it is. Nothing is glued down yet. Have a few shots of it. Let me know what you think, DanView attachment 50897View attachment 50898View attachment 50899View attachment 50900

Back