The Greenbrier Logging and Lumber Co.

Thomas,

I really like the top 2 pictures (above). I'm not really sure why, but something about them just caught my eye - they look great as does your layout.

Thanks fellows!! Plan to start the other mountain later today. See if i can get it to look the same and i will be really happy. Never did this before. First time i ever done scenery. Just watching others and mags and a few friends that kinda took me under there wings. :)

Those are some really nice scenes. well done. appl.gif

Saw some of them over the weekend but I had no power in the room where I keep the computer. Keep them coming.

View attachment 51010View attachment 51011View attachment 51012View attachment 51013The moat and pond are still white yet. Should be about a week till they are clear. I did some more work on the mountain on the left as you look at it from the front. Also did some scenery to the houses the hotel and barn are also done but for some fencing. Have to get it yet. Have everything from the tunnel on the mainline to the engine shed and the other yard items. Can't go any farther until i get more buildings. So for now, I guess it will be this way till then. The biggest part is getting more Kato track and turnouts. Have a few shots below. Dan:rolleyes:

I have run out of most of the materials i need right now. So i have been just running trains. As i was looking at the layout it dawned on my old marbled head that a sawmill puts out finished lumber. so where is the lumber. I have a box in the closet of scrap pieces that came from all the wood buildings and my scratch building. I dug out enough wood to make stacked lumber for the mill. While there i made a walkway for the front door as it was there but nothing but moat for anyone coming out that door.So i made all i needed and will have to wait till i get the gravel ballast before i glue things down. I can't seem to let it alone. I have been going full blast on the layout for almost 7 months and just don't want to quit. I run trains and i start seeing things i think i can do while waiting for more material to come in. I think i am addicted to the layout! Hard to get away from it. Maybe thats a good thing or bad?? It keeps me out of trouble, i guess. Shots below, DanView attachment 51032View attachment 51033View attachment 51034View attachment 51035

Thanks wombat 457, Details is mostly from what i can remember as a younger fellow. I worked in the sawmill in West Virginia. I never worked in the coal mines and they never perked up my curiosity so i didn't model them. I have also worked in those treatment plants that give you that green color treated wood. Two different places.We used a kiln to dry out the wood after being soaked in the presure treated tanks. I don't have enough room for one on this layout but i still sticked the rows like they did. I sit back and keep looking at the layout and all the sudden i remember something that i saw or did as a younger fellow. I think i said it before. It took me almost 6 years to plan it and another 7 months to get it where it is right now. There is many scratch buildings and pieces too. There is only three plastic pieces on the layout all the rest is wood. Most are Republic locomotive works models. I am a long way from finishing this layout as i just can't afford to place all my checks into it.I am pretty much at a spot that there isn't much more i can do till i get more pieces in. I need three more structures, and lots of track. I like the way it has turned out so far. Dan

Yep! Just taking a break for a couple of weeks till payday. I know it will never be really done, but will for all time give me something to do beside running trains. Thanks again, Dan

On one of my other sites i use, They were worrying about the staging yard underneath the logging camp. The end of the board is 2 inch foam on 1/4 inch plywood and all covered with plaster cloth. They were not really pleased with that buty i made a piece of plywood for the one end. The other end is on the foam board itself. I couldn't make that foam board move without moving the whole board. I took a piece of plywood and cut it so the board is braced and then coated it with drywood mud. Last i had. Its drying down now so i can carve it some before i paint it and do some of that flock to it. Should look ok. Haven't heard anything out of the other forum. Hope that will make them happy. Shots below, Dan:)View attachment 51063View attachment 51064View attachment 51065

I Lost the print on this post. I lost internet because the black box quit working. Fixed now. I have been working on the list of track i need to finish and ran into a issue in two places. One was the bridge and another was the curve coming to the logging camp. Had to cut away mountain and the bridge was a relocation of the mountain. I added the mountain to the bridge area. I haven't finished the area at the logging camp area. Hope to have them both fixed and done today but teh weather is rainy and it slows down the process for things to dry. Later, DanView attachment 51184View attachment 51185View attachment 51186View attachment 51187

Last edited by a moderator:

Back