The greenbrier logging and coal co

ok, Houston, we have a problem. I don't know when or how but the track on the right side going up to the trestle sags in two places and in a couple more its completely loose from the board! I put the track down before i decided to add that hill/mountain whatever to the layout. somewhere in that time area i added the trestle to that section and now the track has some plaster cloth or drywall mud on it. and when i was trying to clean the track that track is loose from the board. I think i know how to fix it but will need to re scenic that area once i have it fixed. ...sometimes it don't play to pay...
shots below.

Attachments

• DSC_3346.JPG
    DSC_3346.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_3347.JPG
    DSC_3347.JPG
    732.7 KB · Views: 63
yep. I have been thing about ballast on the logging line. Some of it is regular rock ballast. other ones show sod or earth ballast and then in others there is no ballast and the ties and track are bare. I have a shot of earth dirt kind of ballast on a siding and in the foreground is the main line ballast. I just am having a hard time making up my mind which way to go. any ideas?? thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_3352.JPG
    DSC_3352.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 60
yep. I have been thing about ballast on the logging line. Some of it is regular rock ballast. other ones show sod or earth ballast and then in others there is no ballast and the ties and track are bare. I have a shot of earth dirt kind of ballast on a siding and in the foreground is the main line ballast. I just am having a hard time making up my mind which way to go. any ideas?? thoughts?
I like the earth looking ballast. Especially since your layout is not super modern, would have been seen a lot in older trackage and lines that are little used. "Good" ballast on the mainline and rougher looking on the lesser used track, maybe just fine dirt on some of the sidings with maybe a little green where weeds are growing through.

I have been looking at that. thoughts are dirty ballast with lots of dirt mixed in and sod wherever it looks like it needs it. That way it can cover up the roadbed on the kato plastic roadbed Will see how this goes. I am in the middle of a repair on the truck so that will take a few days to repair. I am not as fast as i was say even 8-10 years ago.

Ok, i got to messing around with my different powders of greens and earth and cinders again. i have a couple of shots below. the darker patches are wet or that dark brown i did last night. Its ok but i am not sold on it yet.

Attachments

• DSC_3356.JPG
    DSC_3356.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_3355.JPG
    DSC_3355.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 58
I like the work you’ve done and are doing, have you tried blending up some dried leaves and twigs ? I’ve found best results come from building up in layers until it’s visually pleasing to the eye. I also like using rocks you find at the bottom of rock cuts along the hiway , the sharpe looking ones along with the fines that get,buried at the bottom. Nice work.

Ok, i got to messing around with my different powders of greens and earth and cinders again. i have a couple of shots below. the darker patches are wet or that dark brown i did last night. Its ok but i am not sold on it yet.
It is possibly dark to your eyes, but I suspect when you do close in photos of details that it will add to the realism. bright / er colours often lack atmosphere.
Try a close up near to a structure and see how you like it is my advice

I did a small section to see what colors are needed to make it look right. My first attempt didn't go to good. Too much black and not enough brown. Will make a shot again later. a couple of shots below, smoke
Sorry not looked at this from the beginnin, will this be steam? Because steam was dirtier, admittedly some companies cleaned up more, but tracks etc and buildings if steam were sootier etc I know this from researching my own work, regardless like the build. plus not being happy with one’s work is usually a sign that you strive for a better result, so good luck with the journey.

I like the work you’ve done and are doing, have you tried blending up some dried leaves and twigs ? I’ve found best results come from building up in layers until it’s visually pleasing to the eye. I also like using rocks you find at the bottom of rock cuts along the hiway , the sharpe looking ones along with the fines that get,buried at the bottom. Nice work.
don't want to try that down this way. I did try that back in Arizona. It came out good! Not gonna try that here, We have an ever growing population of fire ants all over. They are everywhere. Nothing seems to be able to get rid of them. we can kill the grass but ants just get bigger

I got half the track done up the mountain. Everything else is ready but on the upper side of the layout. Its a bit dark in patches but the glue hasn't dried yet when i took the photos. I need to add some grey ballast to blend the greenery to the hill and mountain. minor there. now i will take a few off and let my back heal. Shots below, Smoke

Attachments

• DSC_3359.JPG
    DSC_3359.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_3358.JPG
    DSC_3358.JPG
    732.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_3357.JPG
    DSC_3357.JPG
    736 KB · Views: 54
Haven't been here much but for my phone. My hard drive crashed. Have new one but it isn't acting very good. Not sure what is happening. I have loaded windows 7 twice now, no change. Windows 10 download came up so what the heck. Its going in. Don't know if it will fix anything but will get to see if it plays nice with my motherboard and processor. I may have to go back and replace this hard drive with another. So no biggie if it screws up the hard drive or won't work right. Just having a bit of fun. Anyone else using windows 10?/ Any issues?? I will be using Google Chrome again once i get things working. Anyway, Later, Dan:cool:

If your pc can run Windows 7 (ie the "dot one version" and big apology to that which was vista. You ((might)) even find your pc runs better. Win 10 has a lot of legacy taken out that existed until Win 8, so it's in some ways lighter and faster. The downside is ancient unsupported apps may need a compatibility crutch in the settings or simply be run as Admin (but you trusted it once right so what's the difference) or at worst need a VM. Oh and you might not get a driver for a really old bit of hardware.
Other than that I have run it successfully on all my existing hardware (x86 tablets, laptops and legacy desktop without any issue other than it's a fiddle to run old stuff. Performance wise it runs better on a machine designed to run vista than vista did.
Although I did jump through some hoops.

Back