The Forums seem quiet?

Tony,
I know in my situation, the computer time I get is limited because we have only one and no smart phones or anything like that. When I get the chance I run to have my time before it is to late. Looks like your layout is doing great, hope to see more pics soon.

Thanks
Scott

Tony:

For decent TV, try PBS. I can say that what I watch over there does NOT include anyone named Kardashian, or photos of anyone with such name. British comedy can be very good.

Tony:

For decent TV, try PBS. I can say that what I watch over there does NOT include anyone named Kardashian, or photos of anyone with such name. British comedy can be very good.

We actually cut out the cable TV entirely... watch what we want to on Netflix -- where a lot of the PBS stuff from England goes for a second life -- and listen to NPR for news (and still read that quaint old invention, the newspaper)...

This is a typical reply to an opinion I had on a subject.

That's so stupid I shouldn't even reply! You are wrong. PERIOD
smilie_auslachen.gif

Nice adult, mature reply.

Wow.... Seriously?! .... I have memberships on some others but I really don't have time for more than one. I'm glad I've chosen the right one.

I've been on different forums for probably 15 years, I post the exact same post on 3 forums. One day I will either pick a single forum and only post there or quit posting altogether. Do I know who belongs to this one and perhaps the others? Heck no I don't have time to cross reference who's on here or there.

I belong to about 6-10 different forums. Some I hardly ever visit, some about once or twice a month and a few like this one, I visit every day or so. I like them all for different reasons, but everyone seems to be civil in all of them. I did belong to a couple that had members who thought the forum was their own, but I quickly left them. This is the best and busiest in my opinion. And to answer your question Tony, I don't know, but it seems pretty busy to me. 5 pages on this thread alone.:eek:

I have to agree that this forum is the best. I have very little experience with others. I am primarily an O gauge guy and I do use the OGR forum occasionally for specific information. OGR has some very nice people too, but they have these other people who seem to only find fault in everything and are always negative. Who needs that?

Sometimes I read the posts on MLB.com or the history channel forums. It is rare to find civil discussions on either of them. I don't care what cowards hiding behind computer screens have to say.

I have to comment on TV as well. I love my Comcast cable. I can always find something interesting to watch. What's up with reality TV? I just don't get it.

I love the news paper and NPR. I use to like talk radio too, but it is not the same any more. I like to make my own opinions from information gathered from several sources. I don't need some radical, sensationalized performing artist telling me what to think. Seems to me many of the people who grew up listing to shock jocks spinning records are now listening to shock jocks spinning the facts.

Thanks everybody for making this the best forum!

"Sort of suggests a decline in the hobby. I guess only being a member here doesn't give me the insight across the board either."

Since I found this forum I pretty much dont bother with the others, cant take the sarcasm that some guys feel they have to write before they answer the question posted or reply to a construction post I believe if you cant give const. criticisim you should just not reply.I think this forum probably has the nicest group of people I have met. I belong to a few boating and fishing forums and they all seem to get slow at one time or another.

Couldn't agree more with all that you have said. Every forum that I have been associated with (other than here) has had its share of obnoxious individuals, I refer to them as "Prima Donna's".

It isn't you. In fact, right before you came back I was beginning to think this forum had died - it was that slow.

Thanks lasm and am glad that I was not alone with the feeling.

Hey Tony,

I have been busy with getting ready for the holidays. Thanksgiving is less then 2 weeks away and Christmas is right around the corner. I start getting ready before Halloween. and I am still not ready! If I worked for myself I would fire me!

In the dead of winter after new years when my grandsons go back to school I will be here more often then not God willing.

Louis, you are definitely one of the main stays here, and biggest contributors. Your absence from the forums, even for one day, is always missed.

LOUIS missed you for a couple days. It seems like you and Tony are a couple of the anchors on here. lasm

lasm, thank you. I sort of believe that if you are going to be apart of something, then participation in that something is important. That is not to say that is should take precedence over everything else though.

I agree with what Louis is about to say as well, you too are certainly one of the anchors on here.

Don't look now, but the forum is suddenly ALIVE with comments about how dead it is? Very puzzling...

Mission accomplished! :)

Tony,
I know in my situation, the computer time I get is limited because we have only one and no smart phones or anything like that. When I get the chance I run to have my time before it is to late. Looks like your layout is doing great, hope to see more pics soon.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks Scott and I am making progress, just being more selective in what I post as an update. Too much of the same thing tends to get a little ho hum I think.

Tony:

I really enjoy British shows, well some of them anyway. I will see if we have PBS and take a look, thank you for the info.

What I find interesting is that some folks will post something here, and then run over there and post exactly the same thing!??!

Grasping for immediate answers I think. If you post the same thing in a number of areas/arena's, your possibly going to get a quicker reply. Whether it is the right reply is another matter :)

We actually cut out the cable TV entirely... watch what we want to on Netflix -- where a lot of the PBS stuff from England goes for a second life -- and listen to NPR for news (and still read that quaint old invention, the newspaper)...

I'd love to get rid of our satellite TV. All we get is repeats of repeats of repeats, news or idiotic reality rubbish. Unfortunately we are restricted with our download, making things like netflix an expensive way to watch something.

Wow.... Seriously?! .... I have memberships on some others but I really don't have time for more than one. I'm glad I've chosen the right one.

You certainly picked well Sir :)

I've been on different forums for probably 15 years, I post the exact same post on 3 forums. One day I will either pick a single forum and only post there or quit posting altogether. Do I know who belongs to this one and perhaps the others? Heck no I don't have time to cross reference who's on here or there.

I tend to take a look at all new posts, and read most of them then reply if I know anything about what is being asked.

I belong to about 6-10 different forums. Some I hardly ever visit, some about once or twice a month and a few like this one, I visit every day or so. I like them all for different reasons, but everyone seems to be civil in all of them. I did belong to a couple that had members who thought the forum was their own, but I quickly left them. This is the best and busiest in my opinion. And to answer your question Tony, I don't know, but it seems pretty busy to me. 5 pages on this thread alone.:eek:

It is getting busy and that is great in my opinion.

Perhaps all it takes is a post, something a little out of the ordinary without specifics to get people talking about everything and anything. Thus far we have had discussion on the slow activity, TV (so called) celebrities, Cartoons, Advice on TV networks, opinions on other forums, and probably much more.

Sometimes when people have the freedom to discuss anything (within reason) it can ignite conversation :)

I have to agree that this forum is the best. I have very little experience with others. I am primarily an O gauge guy and I do use the OGR forum occasionally for specific information. OGR has some very nice people too, but they have these other people who seem to only find fault in everything and are always negative. Who needs that?

Sometimes I read the posts on MLB.com or the history channel forums. It is rare to find civil discussions on either of them. I don't care what cowards hiding behind computer screens have to say.

I have to comment on TV as well. I love my Comcast cable. I can always find something interesting to watch. What's up with reality TV? I just don't get it.

I love the news paper and NPR. I use to like talk radio too, but it is not the same any more. I like to make my own opinions from information gathered from several sources. I don't need some radical, sensationalized performing artist telling me what to think. Seems to me many of the people who grew up listing to shock jocks spinning records are now listening to shock jocks spinning the facts.

Thanks everybody for making this the best forum!

I think you hit the nail on the head Louis. Now a days, even news coverage, is less about the facts and the truth and more about personal opinion and how much the presenters (ha) can say in 1/2 an hour. As they say, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story!

Guys, the forums are obviously alive and thank you for all of your participation in this thread. As many have said in other threads, I didn't think that this post would cause such a response (or similar). I am very glad that the question asked has sparked conversation, participation and interest - great job every one!

G'day Tony...My excuse.....If Model rail was my wife...I've had a bit on the side in recent weeks...My other 'love interest' has been 1:72nd model aircraft but even if I've been 'unfaithful' of late ..I still love the missus...and I think she'll have me back....I have joined a forum on the topic/s of kit building and I can honestly say this ..Firstly they could learn a lot from this one and secondly...compared to the action on MRF (this one)...the other one has tumbleweeds blowing down the street..Now.. all I need to do is get a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers...Cheers Rod..

Have to say, right of the bat, I miss the Aussie sense of humor! Just hope the missus can forgive you your small indiscretion :)

This is the only forum I am involved with so I can't speak about others, but honestly, this is the ONLY forum I want to be apart of for all of the reasons that have been said before. From what I understand, the "other forums" are back of burke away from this one, and always will be!

Forums are forums, all pretty much the same regardless. It is the people who make them and we have the best.

There ya go Tony, we're still here it just takes a little proding to get us going!
I've become a bit of a lurker since my head got bonked last December...but less screen
time means more train time!
I am on here most every morning, I should get a little more involved now that the snow has
chased me indoors.

Ditto to that - the "snow chasing you indoors bit anyway" :)

Sorry to hear you got Bonked on the head too, sort of know what that is like and the effects it can have :(

G'day Tony again...The Missus is fine...She's in there hard at it working away at the moment . I got a couple of Broadway Limited SD 40-2s buzzing around the outer track as I write..She's.already forgiven me .She has a short fuse though...and the odd derailment demonstrates that...Into the sixth page of comments already.... The forum is certainly going strong...Best part is a regular stream of new members for me...How cool is that ?...How's the NCE going by the way.?. Forgot to ask last time..Cheers Rod...

Hey Rod, actually I haven't plugged the NCE in yet. I am still using the Digitrax until I get the layout cleaned of with the majority of the "dirty work" completed before I use my new stuff. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I suppose if I was being honest - I just haven't gotten around to swapping the stuff over :(

Glad your outta the woods with the "better half" too but I gotta ask you something ... how do you get her to work in the yard while you sit and play? :) You have a talent mate ;)

No forum is perfect, and if you get right down to it, the Internet isn't necessarily a safe place overall, and you get what you get when you go online, anywhere. Forums individually get better or worse, or they go away (a couple of us here were very sad to see The Whistle Post go down). I think you have to take forums for what they're worth to you, but you also have to recognize that if you don't necessarily know the real name of the guy you're talking to, the fellowship isn't going to be all that real -- so be willing to let go and be willing to look elsewhere. And if there are jerks running the board, call them on it and get out in a hurry!

I more or less agree with most of what you say jwb, especially regarding the internet and anonymity within the internet. But I also can see both sides of the "not wanting to advertise your real name" as well. It is a two edge sword in my opinion.

Look at it from this point of view, if you don't advertise your real name (and whose to say that name used is real anyway) you are potential looked upon as a person having something to hide. By the same token, and due to the unscrupulous nature of the internet and some of those who engage it, if you do advertise your real name you may be setting yourself up as a potential victim.

As for no Forums being perfect, I tend to agree with you. Though, as of yet, I think this forum is possibly (in all honesty) the best in terms of members and the way in which it is run. I think we all could find something to change here, if we bothered to look, but why change something that doesn't appear to require changing? It may not be 100% perfect, but I believe it is as close as anyone could hope to come to perfection in this form.

In so far as "calling out someone", trust me, I have no apprehension about doing that if I think there is justification for doing so. I can also say, with no fear of contradiction, that should I ever find the need to call some one out - I wont run or get out in a hurry. If you don't have the balls to stick around and defend your beliefs, don't state them in the first place :) That is one scenario I doubt I will ever find myself in here though, and if I did, well for the benefit of the vast majority (the 99% of others) I think I would just quietly walk away.

I would say that it's an individual call whether to use your full, real name, although since I've been here, I notice that Charles Smiley isn't afraid to do that, and I have a great deal of respect for him. It may well depend on the forum. Right now, while no forum is perfect, and this one isn't either, it may be that someone like Charles can feel it's a safe enough place to identify himself.

People in this thread have noted that just a few people can make a difference in a board. I've wondered about that, and maybe this thread is a confirmation.

Regarding calling jerks on being jerks -- if they're running the place, they're moderators, and they'll ban you in an instant! I got into that kind of trouble on another forum just this weekend. (If the jerk isn't a moderator, he'll go get one, trust me!)

I would say that it's an individual call whether to use your full, real name, although since I've been here, I notice that Charles Smiley isn't afraid to do that, and I have a great deal of respect for him. It may well depend on the forum. Right now, while no forum is perfect, and this one isn't either, it may be that someone like Charles can feel it's a safe enough place to identify himself.

People in this thread have noted that just a few people can make a difference in a board. I've wondered about that, and maybe this thread is a confirmation.

Regarding calling jerks on being jerks -- if they're running the place, they're moderators, and they'll ban you in an instant! I got into that kind of trouble on another forum just this weekend. (If the jerk isn't a moderator, he'll go get one, trust me!)

I think you are on the right track jwb, it is all about feeling "safe". Charles, along with a number of others, do use their real names, at least their first names. There are others here though who use a "username" only but who are not afraid to provide their real name in a one on one environment, presumably once they feel as though they can trust the person they are providing their real name too. That is a scenario I have encountered with a few of people on here and something that I also will do. Personally, I don't blame anyone for using a username only and I think that anyone that goes into a forum, chat program or similar who uses their real name upfront is taking a risk.

A board is made up of a large assortment of personalities and characters. All of us are different in some way or another and we are always going to get on with, or agree with, everyone else all of the time. As an example of that, I have the utmost respect for Bruette, yet I don't always agree with everything that Louis says. Yet, we remain friends and accept that it is an each to their own situation. I think that is what differentiates this forum/board to others and is typical of how the members here interact with each other.

In order to achieve the above, it took people, like Louis and others, to form a bond that other members and new members could relate to. More and more people gravitated to those standards and principles pushing out the jerks, as the jerks became the minority. So I think that yes, a few people CAN make a difference, a difference that is now testimony to the standards that each and every member of this forum maintain.

Sorry for using you Louis as the example, hope you don't mind.

G'day Tony....Sorry , I didn't write that too well...when I said....She's out there working hard...I meant the layout is out in the train room working hard.. The layout is my 'better half'..She was running a couple of beaut SD40-2 and a few boxcars..after I'd been mucking around cleaning a dirty bit of track..WHO'D HAVE ME ANYWAY...I've got a great family , sisters , nieces etc.. and two awesome dogs...Missy (4y.o) Border Collie and Daisy a purebred blue Kelpie...who's just over a year old....and Bonnie The Cat..
Sorry about the confusion....Cheers Rod...

Back