The ever changing HO scale layout

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the kind comments and most of all for the prayers and positive vibes.

I've learned that most everyone has there own problems, some beyond their control, to deal with but the one thing that we do have control over is how we react to those problems. Gotta stay positive and push through the hard times.

Progress on the layout has been halted here for a few days and the whole situation has been moved back out in to the garage (again). Some friends came over the other day with their kids and I all but had a heart attack with them snatching stuff off of the layout. I realized that before this gets any further I need to get it into a place that I have better control over while it is being constructed (I'm not always home). The layout will now be much bigger so that's a plus.
A good friend of mine is gonna help me with running a few HVAC registers out there and I still need to insulate my garage door. Maybe if I can quit moving this thing around - I could get finished with it. I hope that all is well with each of you and thanks again for the comments and prayers. I really do appreciate you guys!

Nice start to your layout! I'm happy to read that your son is doing well and that you've got a hobby to enjoy together.

Thanks so much, A2TwrOpr.

SO, after a few days off I finally got back out in the garage and worked on the bench work. The long side is now 18 feet long and the short side is now 8 feet long. I can now get back to constructing the exterior walls of the structures and I've gotta get some more 2'' foam board for the industry end of the layout. I've tried at least 10 times to upload 2 photos of where I am today but to no avail. I'll try again in a bit. I hope that all is well with each of you!

well I've tried on 2 different computers and still the same problem. Only the basic uploader will actually open up and then when I've picked the pictures there is no way to post them.

20140406_144715.jpg20140406_144530.jpg

This is the first time I've seen this thread. God bless you and your family. I was so glad to read your son is now cancer free! Keep up the good work.

Hey Mantua,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It really does means a lot to know that there are people out there that do care. We are doing well and summer break is almost here so that means more fishing trips with the kids. :)

Hoping to get some more walls constructed today on the layout. I've been putting off one model for a while now (I'm actually scared to death of it) but I know i've gotta get after it at some point. It's a big Mississippi River Sternwheeler from Artesania Latina. I've never put a wooden model together before that's this elaborate. To be honest I don't even know what kind of glue to use. I'm gonna leave it for dead last - just gonna take my time with it and hope that it turns out good enough for the layout.

I hope that all is well with y'all and thanks for stopping by

Sig is great on wooden models. It looks like white glue but a little more yellow. Its fuel proof so I use on my RC planes. May not be waterproof though.

As for the kind words, I found myself in a similar situation at one point in my life. We came out ok and I believe I am a better and stronger person as a result. I have learned to appreciate the things that really matter and enjoy the little things more.

Quick update for you guys. Slow going but Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood is starting to take shape. Almost time for paint. I'm thinking about changing the name to 'Monsieur Reauxjere's Quartier' and adding a bit of cajun flair to the layout. Thinking about a swamp area and I'm finally getting excited about putting the big Sternwheeler together. Still need to figure out a station (that will serve both marine and rail) and a country church. The place is somewhere close to the bayou in the south and the time period is fall of the mid 40s (so I can justify running the EMD E6 diesel and some steam). Yes I know that Mister Rogers Neighborhood was filmed in Toronto (from 63 to 66) and Pittsburgh (from 66 to 2001) but this is my boy's layout and we are gonna do what he wants. He likes the swamp and I do believe that we can incorporate that. :)

I hope that you all are well and thanks for stopping by!

20140410_212357.jpg

I don't know who Mr Rogers is BUT a Southern Flavored layout sounds great and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I wonder if you can get HO Scale alligators ??????

I don't know who Mr Rogers is BUT a Southern Flavored layout sounds great and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I wonder if you can get HO Scale alligators ??????

Thanks, Wombat! I've been looking around for some HO scale alligators, an airboat and some bald cypress trees. If you guys see anything that looks like it belongs please let me know about it.

As for the kind words, I found myself in a similar situation at one point in my life. We came out ok and I believe I am a better and stronger person as a result. I have learned to appreciate the things that really matter and enjoy the little things more.

I completely agree. We found out very quick what was most important and what we could live without. The little things are something special without a doubt!

@Wombat and Tootnkumin, Yes Mister Rogers Neighborhood was a children's show here in the states. I think that most people who've ever watched it can agree that they gained something positive from the show. My son watches the re-runs on youtube and every now and then on the Public channel when they happen to show an episode. They don't make shows like that anymore!

you are right, Jim 68cuda. The first and last clips you posted (I believe) were from the Ontario days, though. A few things changed on the Pittsburgh layout just about every show depending on where he was "visiting" that day. I've managed to save over 200 freeze frames from youtube and it blows my mind how much things got moved around on that layout. I still don't have a clue what a few of the structures are (most likely kit bashed) but those structures are the ones that got rotated out on a frequent bases. Where the school was located was also an apartment complex and an airport (depending on which episode you watch). There were a few others that changed around as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
More changes than I thought. I had assumed the layout only changed a couple times over the years. The school isn't even noticeable in the 2nd link I posted above, but in this one of the same area, its clearly visable. Also the 2nd link I posted above shows a heavily wooded neighborhood across from the school to the right of the screen, but in this clip, it looks like a farm in that space with the IHC "American Farm House" with the wrap around porch. In the second clip above of the same area, the house with the wrap around porch is hidden by the trees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-e742a3Y_w

Back