The College Kid Layout Building Saga

The updates are great! Hope you are getting as much enjoyment from the project as I am lol
It definitely has been frustrating at times, waiting around for things to dry, soldering not working the way I want, things not turning out the way I envisioned, etc. But overall it has been really fun working on this and sharing it with others. The sharing has probably been the most fun thing about this process though.

It definitely has been frustrating at times, waiting around for things to dry, soldering not working the way I want, things not turning out the way I envisioned, etc. But overall it has been really fun working on this and sharing it with others. The sharing has probably been the most fun thing about this process though.
We've enjoyed the journey so far, that certain factors didn't work out the way you wanted is always disappointing, we all know that, we've all been where you are, but this hobby is also about learning new things, I would never have thought about using the items you've used on a layout, so we have also learnt from you by watching as you share this build.

Update:

1000003274.jpg
1000003314.jpg
1000003337.jpg
1000003384.jpg
1000003385.jpg
1000003386.jpg
20231215_111216.jpg

Progress hasn't been as fast as I would like even though it is train season. But the progress I have made has done a lot for the look of the layout. Since the wiring, I have only been able to lay the groundwork but that is a lot of waiting and a lot of work. However, it has changed the look of the one-half of the layout. That is all for now!

Last edited:
Huge Update:

Part 1:

20240104_192805.jpg
20240106_000207.jpg
20240107_223544.jpg
20240106_000159.jpg

Hey all! It's been a minute. I have been away for a bit because I left the layout and went home and then forgot to catch the forum up on the progress. So here is part one of the large layout update. Starting off the new year I decided I really wanted to tackle the one side of the layout and get it up to snuff with the other side. To start, I ballasted the rest of the track(bar a little section where the switch is) to get it up to code with the rest of the layout. I need to at some point make a switch and finish off that and then I can ballast it off.

Next, I got to work on the buildings while the ballast dried. I started painting some of the buildings similar to how their real-life counterparts are painted. I am working only with the few colors that the Dollar Tree acrylic paints offer so I did my best getting close enough colors. I also started adding trees to the scenic half of the layout while the paint was drying. I hand-drilled each of the holes for the trees so each tree didn't need to get glued down. They stay in place pretty nicely. All of the work is coming together and this is only the first snippet of what is to come.

Part 2:

20240109_215046.jpg
20240114_072301.jpg

20240114_072223.jpg
20240114_072214.jpg
20240114_072232.jpg

So here is the second bit of the update. Each of the buildings had been hand-painted and each of the windows was hand cut and created. I used transparent plastic plates that I had cut to size and taped with matte clear tape to create the fogged effect. I also put the thumbtacks, that were previously holding the track down, on the bottom of the buildings so if need be I do not have to rip up the whole road again to take off the buildings to transport the layout. Each of the buildings has so much character and I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I am waiting to get some signs printed but my printer is broken so I need to work on that to add even more details. However, this isn't the last piece...

Part 3:

20240113_233515.jpg
20240113_233550.jpg
20240113_233625.jpg
20240113_233445.jpg
20240113_233539.jpg

20240115_175755.jpg

Here is the final part of this update. The nighttime shots are really amazing to me. The effect is exactly what I wanted from the layout. You can also see that I finished painting the engine shed, I built a small park, and a small station shed. I am planning on building some more structures in other locations but I just haven't taken the time to figure them out quite yet.

I am also thinking of finally naming the layout the Garibaldi Shortline due to the location of the features on the layout being from the town of Garibaldi, Oregon, although it is quite a bit proto-lance. Hopefully, you guys enjoyed the updates. For more content from this layout go to the Instagram in my signature. I have been posting so much content on there in regard to the layout. There is always more to come though so stay tuned!

Part 3:

View attachment 179671View attachment 179672View attachment 179673View attachment 179674View attachment 179675
View attachment 179676

Here is the final part of this update. The nighttime shots are really amazing to me. The effect is exactly what I wanted from the layout. You can also see that I finished painting the engine shed, I built a small park, and a small station shed. I am planning on building some more structures in other locations but I just haven't taken the time to figure them out quite yet.

I am also thinking of finally naming the layout the Garibaldi Shortline due to the location of the features on the layout being from the town of Garibaldi, Oregon, although it is quite a bit proto-lance. Hopefully, you guys enjoyed the updates. For more content from this layout go to the Instagram in my signature. I have been posting so much content on there in regard to the layout. There is always more to come though so stay tuned!
You've done a great job on this, congratulations, looks fantastic👏.

Small Update:
20240126_232458.jpg
20240126_232512.jpg
20240126_232518.jpg

This is going to be a short one because I haven't had a lot of time to work on the layout but here are a few small things that I have done. I installed Caboose Industries turnout switches on the layout. I modified my switch a bit to make it fit better. I also got my resin in so I will eventually be able to pour Smith Lake out sometime soon. Enjoy this video of m eusing my switch with my new NPR #187 PA I just got

Update:
20240217_220609.jpg
20240217_220639.jpg
20240217_220620.jpg

20240217_220631.jpg
20240217_235601.jpg
20240217_235636.jpg
20240217_235617.jpg

Finally got back to getting some work done on the layout. I have been working on some digital design projects for potential 3D prints, and some other school stuff has taken my time, but I sat down to work on some small things.

First, I started to build some benches and signs. I bought benches from Outland Models and assembled them. I cut apart a hot glue stick and used thumbtacks to secure the benches to the layout. I do this instead of gluing the benches directly down just so they are easier to remove in case the layout needs to be moved or stored.

I created the stop signs out of toothpicks and small hot glue cuts. I just printed out the signs on my printer. They are just stuck into the layout for easy removal as well. I am working on the railroad crossing signs right now.

Another small detail is that the Dairy Queen now has some signing on it as well. More signing will continue to pop up on some of the buildings.

I also carved out a 3d version of the Garibaldi G. I thought I needed something better for the iconic hillside monogram, and this turned out pretty good. It's made from some leftover pink stuff foam.

I have also finished up the ballast around the switch I recently installed. It is still drying, but the turnout looks good.

Finally, I added some people figures I glued to painted thumbtacks. They are just like the benches, easy to remove.

I am going to continue to work on the scenery on this side of the layout. I just need to flush out some remaining scene spaces before going all in. Stay tuned for more!

Back