The College Kid Layout Building Saga

catnippertom

That Oregon Guy
20230419_192410.jpg
First Real Layout.jpg

I created this thread in order to kinda continue what was going on in the first thread I made about purchasing my new HO Scale Lionel GS-4 Daylight 4454(link to it here). I got some grief about running my loco on the carpet of my small apartment so I caved and got some 20" x 30" poster board from the dollar store to lay it on. I got eight boards for four sections, two layers each. Above is the gluing of one of the sections of the four two-layer boards. Also above is the track layout that I am going to use. This build is going to be a really tight budget build with mainly resources that I have available to me and many things from the dollar store. I am a college student-athlete with little funds and space for model railroading so this has to be super small and super cheap. Any input is much appreciated. Hopefully, more updates are to come soon.

Well - you are taking a very sensible approach to this, well done on that! Not sure what sort of input you are looking for - your track plan is basic and workable unless you can extend the inner track to rejoin the main track along the southern border. Other than that mate, it looks as though you have it all planned and pretty much up and running 👍

Well - you are taking a very sensible approach to this, well done on that! Not sure what sort of input you are looking for - your track plan is basic and workable unless you can extend the inner track to rejoin the main track along the southern border. Other than that mate, it looks as though you have it all planned and pretty much up and running 👍
It ain't much but it will do for now. Bigger and better things to come once I am out of school.

I look at like this - you have some track, a train and they both work so you can run it all. This will just give you the incentive to add to it a little at a time, as you can afford things and as room permits.

The one saying in this hobby is "your layout is never finished" and that is true, you'll always find something to do to it, to add to it or to remove something from it. They are eternally evolving as yours will. You have something to look forward to, to work toward and to appreciate 👍

I agree with Tom, your layout will probably never be finished :D but looks pretty good so far too, add to it as, and when you can.

Buying second hand Loco's and cars is also a good and cheaper way to accumulate stuff, expecially if their non runners, most I've found are easy and again usually quite cheap to repair. And even if you can't, keep it, it always becomes useful for spares later down the road.

Train meets/swaps are also a good place to look for loco's cars and track, some LHS have seconds bin a good place to rummage for stuff too.

I look forward to seeing your thread and layout grow.

Update:

20230420_103508.jpg

The two baseboards are fully taped up and ready to go. I found some cork coasters from the dollar store and I might cut those up and use them as roadbed. I might not because I don't think I have enough of them on hand to make a ton of roadbed. I might use the scrap from other posterboard for it as well. Not sure which yet. Anyway more to come.

I might suggest you use the cork coasters if I may. They will help deaden the sound a little but will most likely be a good size (depth wise) to use as roadbed.

At the end of the day, you really don't need roadbed if you don't want to use it - it isn't imperative to how your trains will run :) To be honest though - my priority, in your situation, would be to find somewhere to get it off of the floor - even a plastic craft table from Wallyworld or similar, might prevent an unfortunate accident :)

Update:

First Real Layout 2.jpg

I had to change the loop up a little bit. If I wanted to have two detachable sections then I would have to buy more track to be able to split it up evenly. Now the track can be perfectly detached into two sections. I hate to have fewer straights but in order to save some money I have to do it this way.

I'm also an apartment modeler and have made compromises while building my layout and I don't think we're alone. It sounds to me like this small layout will be a great learning experience for you. I say lay your track (take time to make it as trouble free as possible), run a train of course!, and maybe dive into a little scenery, kit building, etc... your next layout will benefit from it! Good luck!

@catnippertom

I don't post this for any other reason than to show you what you can do in a small area and with an Oval Track Plan:

Granted this is N Scale; however, it is also just 24" X 18" in size so you will have a larger area to work with. Small doesn't mean lacking in interest or excitement or complexity or anything else; in fact, smaller makes it a bit more of a challenge and, I think, more rewarding as it progress' :)

@catnippertom

I don't post this for any other reason than to show you what you can do in a small area and with an Oval Track Plan:

Granted this is N Scale; however, it is also just 24" X 18" in size so you will have a larger area to work with. Small doesn't mean lacking in interest or excitement or complexity or anything else; in fact, smaller makes it a bit more of a challenge and, I think, more rewarding as it progress' :)
Hmmmm, seems I have to log in to watch the video, which my security thinks is a dangerous site?

Hmmmm, seems I have to log in to watch the video, which my security thinks is a dangerous site?

Not sure why as it is a commercial video site called VIMEO. Let me try to put a "direct link to it" here and see if that helps. Something is definitley wrong, I can't even post a link to it now ... ??? Give me a minute and I'll see what's up.

Mate, I have no idea what has happened ... try this one just to see if it is Vimeo or the particular Vid:

Now try this again:

I think we have a winner - maybe??

Last edited:
See if this works @Smudge617 :

<div style="padding:56.25% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/330920828?h=ed37608b73&amp;badge=0&amp;autopause=0&amp;player_id=0&amp;app_id=58479" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="Tootsville Railway"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>
Yep, thanks Tony :D

Not sure why as it is a commercial video site called VIMEO. Let me try to put a "direct link to it" here and see if that helps. Something is definitley wrong, I can't even post a link to it now ... ??? Give me a minute and I'll see what's up.

Mate, I have no idea what has happened ... try this one just to see if it is Vimeo or the particular Vid:

Now try this again:

I think we have a winner - maybe??
Thank's Tony, lovely little layout you built.

I never did get a video of it day light and it has since been demolished - the shelf it was on was needed for other things apparently. But yeah, it was fun to build. Despite being small, it was still time consuming BUT allowed me to focus more on the detail of the scenery and to play around with the lighting. It really was fu to build and at times, I think more fun than my main layout.

Anyway, hope @catnippertom takes a look, thought it might give a bit of inspiration :)

Update:

20230420_213317.jpg

I printed out the track plan and laid it out on the two boards. It is looking good so far. The track has been a little bit tough to lay but I am learning as I go. I tried to go grab some more of the coasters from the dollar store but I guess I didn't buy them from there since they didn't have any. I am probably going to Hobby Lobby to search for some tomorrow. If I don't find anymore I might just use the leftover poster board for roadbed.

Back