The best Stay-Alive combo and problems

NYC_George

I posted this thread a while ago but recently learned some problems with the installation. I bought a 2 Scale Trains loco with Lok Sound decoders. I love the locos but the factory installed Keep Alive doesn't seem too adequate. It may keep everything powered for maybe a 1/2 second if the loco encounters the slightest track defect. Most of the problem's I've had is when the locos goes over multiple turnouts. So when I wanted to install a 21 pin Lok Sound decoder, I bought in my NH 424C locos I decided to install it on a TCS WOW AK_MB1 mother board. These boards have 4 Keep Alive capacitors verses the Lok Sound's one. The boards keep the loco powered for 4 or 5 seconds after the loco is taken off the layout. Way better than the Lok Sound Keep Alive. I had everything programed before installing the decoder on the TCS board, so I didn't run into any problems. Even changing CV's is not a problem but if you try to download a new sound file into the decoder with this arrangement it blows up the decoder. I learned this from a friend who did this blowing up the Lok Sound decoder. He called a friend and the friend said yes this is the case. If you want to download a new sound file, take the decoder off the TCS board and you'll have no problems.
George

Lok_Sound_decoder_TCS_board.JPG

Last edited:
I posted this thread a while ago but recently learned some problems with the installation. I bought a 2 Scale Trains loco with Lok Sound decoders. I love the locos but the factory installed Keep Alive doesn't seem too adequate. It may keep everything powered for maybe a 1/2 second if the loco encounters the slightest track defect. Most of the problem's I've had is when the locos go over multiple turnouts. So when I wanted to install a 21 pin Lok Sound decoder, I bought in my NH 424C locos I decided to install it on a TCS WOW AK_MB1 mother board. These boards have 4 Keep Alive capacitors verses the Lok Sound's one. The boards keep the loco powered for 4 or 5 seconds after the loco is taken off the layout. Way better than the Lok Sound Keep Alive. I had everything programed before installing the decoder on the TCS board, so I didn't run into any problems. Even changing CV's is not a problem but if you try to download a new sound file into the decoder with this arrangement it blows up the decoder. I learned this from a friend who did this blowing up the Lok Sound decoder. He called a friend and the friend said yes this is the case. If you want to download a new sound file, take the decoder off the TCS board and you'll have no problems.
George

View attachment 141246
WOW! that's good to know, I have most of my loco's fitted with stay alive, but as I don't have many with sound I haven't encountered that issue so far. I was looking at adding sound to a few more of mine and Loksound was by far my number one choice. Now I know what not to do.

WOW! that's good to know, I have most of my loco's fitted with stay alive, but as I don't have many with sound, I haven't encountered that issue so far. I was looking at adding sound to a few more of mine and Loksound was by far my number one choice. Now I know what not to do.
I did not know this myself until and friend called me and said he just blew up his Lok Sound decoder. We both have been installing them on TCS 21 pin boards and had no problems until he tried to download a new sound file. He called Lok Sound and they told him the same thing. Another friend of his said the same thing Lok Sound warned him of. If you're going to change the sound file, put it in an engine without all the Stay Alive capacitors. After you get the sound installed you can put it back on the TCS 21 pin board One other thing you have to look out for is putting the decoder in upside down. Very easy to do if your not paying attention.
George

I did not know this myself until and friend called me and said he just blew up his Lok Sound decoder. We both have been installing them on TCS 21 pin boards and had no problems until he tried to download a new sound file. He called Lok Sound and they told him the same thing. Another friend of his said the same thing Lok Sound warned him of. If you're going to change the sound file, put it in an engine without all the Stay Alive capacitors. After you get the sound installed you can put it back on the TCS 21 pin board One other thing you have to look out for is putting the decoder in upside down. Very easy to do if your not paying attention.
George
It's weird, I wonder why would having stay alive cause the decoders to blow, presumedly it's getting feedback from the stay alive? I'm sure someone will know, I like DCC but sometimes, I think it's getting too sophisticated/complicated.
If Lok sound knew this would happen isn't there a warning of some kind on the package?

If Lok sound knew this would happen isn't there a warning of some kind on the package?
Your're not supposed to be plugging a Lok Sound decoders into another brands board. They're not made for this application. TCS mother boards are made for TCS's decoders. A few years ago, I asked my friend what if I pugged a 21 pin Lok Sound decoder in a TCS 21 pin mother board. Will it work? He said, I think so. I did it and it has worked except for something we didn't realize. I guess Lok Sound wasn't expecting this to happen so hasn't said anything until recently. I like Lok Sound decoders and TCS mother boards so for me it's a good fit. TCS has some kind of circuit in their decoders that prevents this from happening.
George

Back