The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

I'm happy they've found a good home!

Word of caution: Load and unload containers carefully, how do you think those small parts got loose? 🤣
Thanks, Paul and Yes I've found that out already :) They're currently back in the box with the containers wrapped up under the table, otherwise, I would have them running around already, but I have too many other small jobs I need to get finished first.

Update.

Finished the motor upgrade to the Lima Class 37, and hit a boo-boo, the motor fits nicely and runs, but I can't refit the centre axle as the wheels rub against the motor shorting it out, seems I should have got the 10mm motor, not the 12mm, live and learn, so I've ordered another slimmer motor.

Ran both the Class 37 and the 4-4-0 Berkely, the steamer is having problems as you can see, that's down to my bad track cleaning, and those Hornby curved turnouts are the much older version, so I'll have to replace them at some point.

The steamer's running at 15% power and the Class 37 is at 20%, a big difference from the old motors.

Not much done today, just busy loading locos onto JMRI, another large box is done, but man JMRI can be a pain, had a half dozen loco's it simply wouldn't read the decoder, they all repeatedly timed out, so I guessed which decoders were in them, (I'm not pulling them apart just to find that out), one box left and then I can start on the ones in the MDF storage boxes,
Such is the exciting life I lead. :)

I'm done, this is the last boxed locomotive to be added to JMRI, and this was the first HO scale locomotive I bought.

1702840822444.jpeg

Now I have to move onto the unboxed ones.

1702840931280.jpeg

I bought this years ago, added a decoder and it kinda went into my "to be continued" box, motor worked but it wouldn't move and the locomotive wheels free rolled, which they shouldn't do.

1703201879311.jpeg

The armature gear wasn't meshing correctly, so it was a simple fix, I thought this looked odd, I can't find any makers marks anywhere, but looking at the power pickups this could be a Marklin A2 Locomotive.

1703202121393.jpeg

This loco is by Trix and was also sold under the Liliput ( UK ) brand.
It was based on the German Trix Express/International DB BR18 pacific and was available in 2 or 3 rail hence the tender arrangements.
Also available with tender drive ( From the earlier A4 model) with drive gears and shafts removed from the loco.
It was made from 1970 onwards but a few were produced up to 1992.
Info from the Trix book.
Hope this helps.

This loco is by Trix and was also sold under the Liliput ( UK ) brand.
It was based on the German Trix Express/International DB BR18 pacific and was available in 2 or 3 rail hence the tender arrangements.
Also available with tender drive ( From the earlier A4 model) with drive gears and shafts removed from the loco.
It was made from 1970 onwards but a few were produced up to 1992.
Info from the Trix book.
Hope this helps.
Yes, very helpful and interesting, thank you. :)

Looks great! I didn't see any issues. The GP7 sounds great! I love the lighting and backdrop.

Keep your fingers out of the videos! ;)
Thanks, I was surprised too, but having speakers on either side of the frame certainly gives it some sound, I was surprised, I've heard so many negative remarks regarding QSI decoders, I think if they had been a little more user friendly it definitely would have helped.
There is a sound file which gives announcements somewhere on the decoder but since the factory reset I can't find it, nor do I know how to put it back, but I may have deleted it, but I honestly don't know.

Thanks, I was surprised too, but having speakers on either side of the frame certainly gives it some sound, I was surprised, I've heard so many negative remarks regarding QSI decoders, I think if they had been a little more user friendly it definitely would have helped.
There is a sound file which gives announcements somewhere on the decoder but since the factory reset I can't find it, nor do I know how to put it back, but I may have deleted it, but I honestly don't know.
Ask in the coffee shop. Terry knows that stuff inside and out. I don't know how he remembers it all.

I have a few Lionel locomotives that have what Lionel calls "crew talk" I enjoy the announcements, not everybody does.

Ask in the coffee shop. Terry knows that stuff inside and out. I don't know how he remembers it all.

I have a few Lionel locomotives that have what Lionel calls "crew talk" I enjoy the announcements, not everybody does.
I liked the way it had been set up, the announcement only worked when you hit the F10 key

Last edited:

Back