The 5 Mile Railroad

Update: 5 Mile RR is coming along slowly. Finally did a mock-up scene to see if my Big Trees that have been in storage since moving to WY will fit the McQuire Creek Trestle area.

http://www.davestrainsandtrees.com/5mile1.html

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    616.6 KB · Views: 89
Here are a few updated photos of the layout. I still have a bridge, trestle and sort of a trestle to build before I can make it around the layout. Getting closer to having enough trees built. I needed a break from the layout and built a bunch of Welcome to Wyoming rocks that I sell locally. Anyway, glad to see everyone is still plugging away. I always forget how to post photos, so I hope it works.

Attachments

• IMG_3777-1.jpg
    IMG_3777-1.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3778-1.jpg
    IMG_3778-1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3779-1.jpg
    IMG_3779-1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 021 IMG_3356.JPG
    021 IMG_3356.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 66
I've been working on the "non-engineered" trestle on the fictional logging spur between Occidental and Streeton's Mill. I found this old Benson Logging Co. switchback photo and wanted something, not identical but representative of what backwoods loggers may have built to get to their locomotives close to the logging areas. Still need to decide where to add supporting timbers. The track itself has a 1/4" steel rod behind the horizontal logs so the track is fully supported.

Attachments

• IMG_3906-0.jpg
    IMG_3906-0.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 42
What radius curves are you using? Cheers: Tom
16-22" radius curves. The shay/logging spur is the tightest with 16" radius on the two curves by Camp Meeker. I only plan to run Shays and a Heisler on that section and each worked fine on test runs. Back around Tyrone Mill where I connect the bridge/trestle/tunnel the radius is a tight 18". There's a lot going on back there and may require a little rework so I'm avoiding that area for now. I wanted the 10 areas/elements that existed in the 5 mile section back in the 1800's on the layout. It's tight but I got them all on there, now I have to make it work.

Back