Tank car implosion

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
Yikes

Don't you know that must have made some sound.

The guys on the other forum were discussing the repair process. I heard that a rail car repair facility near Hearn, Texas heats tank cars and 're-inflates' them. I assumed that was to repair collision damage.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
If you use a vacuum pump and suck all the air out of a tank car, it will do that due to atmospheric pressure.

hamltnblue

Looking at it several times it almost looks like the car isn't on the tracks to start with, like they took it off for a demonstration

kenw

5th Generation Texian
More normally it is caused by rapid cooling of a sealed and almost empty tank car. Not as uncommon as you might think.

CNR Glen

Wow that was a fast implosion. I didn't think it would have happened that fast.
I wonder how far the crowd was away from it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.