Tangent Scale Models any customer reviews

Artieiii

While searching for UP rolling stock I came across Tangent Scale Models Page. They sell Bethlehem quad hoppers in HO scale with 9 different paint schemes. They have an option to mix and match any 3, 12, 24, 36 or 48 cars for additional savings and variety. Single unit price is $32.95.

Anyone have any of their products? Are they worth the price? TIA
-Art

i've seen them at my LHS, they look really good. Very detailed, but i've never removed one to see it up close.

And not to hijack this thread, anyone know of Front Range and Mckean?

Both long gone. Their stuff depending on what it was, could be a step or two above the basic Athearn equipment of the time. IIRC they were started by the same man, who started Overland., Tom Marsh

I have on Tangent PS2CD 4740 cu ft covered hopper. It is a very nice model. It was $42.

I may get an undec or two to do a project later. There's no way I'd be able to spend the money for 10 or more like I'd want to.

Both long gone. Their stuff depending on what it was, could be a step or two above the basic Athearn equipment of the time. IIRC they were started by the same man, who started Overland., Tom Marsh

Ok so then the quality should be pretty decent. I keep seeing people bid on it and was a little warry to do the same.

That tangent stuff is EXPENSIVE!! I almost dropped my atlas stuff in my arms when I saw the price tags.

IIRC, the dealers don't make very much on the Tangents.

Front Range, LBF, and McKean would be new old stock. I occasionally find a kit of theirs I like. Huberts was also related to Front Range and LBF, but in ready to run form (at least the one's I've seen).

Front Range, McKean, E&C Shops, and LBF (Loads By Fred) all have the now passed on Fred Becker as a common thread. Fred left a legacy of needed but poorly executed models, bad business practices, and failed companies. While I have several models by the above companies, in general they all required reworking and upgrading. Weather or not model railroading benefited from Fred's activities, the jury still may be out. He did provide some models of needed prototypes in a period when new models were slow in coming, but his faulty models may have prevented other companies from creating better models of the same prototypes. Still waiting on a better 60' Centerbeam flatcar.

Back