Taking the plunge!

Rico

BN Modeller
Well I've finally convinced myself to take the plunge into the "big stuff"!
Every time I look out the window at our big rock pile I can picture a winding right of way accending the grade along the creek up to the gazebo with an old steamer grunting away! (with a load of ice and beverages of course!)
Okay so it's all under three feet of snow right now, but I can still picture it all the same.
So, first question has to be... is it worth investing in the Bachman 2-6-0 for a starting point? (I have one available to me) Or should I save my pennies for something grander?
I'm planning on handlying the track and going radio controlled with batteries, any thoughts?
With house renovations winding down and hopes that we may get to actually spend time on yard this summer I'm hoping to just slow down a bit and enjoy life.
Thanx for any thoughts!
Rico
(now just where did I put that hammock...)

Yay! How exciting!!! DO IT! :)

I say grab the Bachmann if it's the era and style you want, and the price is right. You can always "trade up" later. I'm still running my "toy train" on our layout, and even the Playmobil we keep for the granddaughters to play with. I can always imagine the trains are something more elegant.

Radio control and batteries? I say that's the ONLY way to go! Even in our mild climate, I love not having to fuss with wiring and track integrity issues. The layout can sit for months through rain, weeds, visiting cats and fallen leaves, and still be ready to run in 15 minutes.

But don't plan to spend too much time in the hammock! There's too much other fun stuff to do like adding landscaping, buildings, people, livestock..... You get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx, that's sort of what I was thinking re trading up later.
As for the battery thing, I figure when I lay the original loop I can add a wye to head for the hills to a reverse loop with no special wiring, plus run multiple trains at a time.
Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself I know!
Oooohhh... can't wait for all this "white stuff" to go, where's did I put that torch...
Rico

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery power fun

Thanx, that's sort of what I was thinking re trading up later.
As for the battery thing, I figure when I lay the original loop I can add a wye to head for the hills to a reverse loop with no special wiring, plus run multiple trains at a time.
Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself I know!
Oooohhh... can't wait for all this "white stuff" to go, where's did I put that torch...
Rico

Rico,

Great to hear you are planning your garden pike!
Battery R/C is fine, especially if you don't like wiring wyes,etc.

However I must say that DCC/MTS in the garden is a reality. Regular DC analog power is a real problem, because you run the track's voltage not the speed of the trains. The great thing about DCC is you have 18/20 volts always going thru the rails so there is much better through current.

Note: That Bachmann pic you have , that is a really nice looking engine. Did you get a tender with it? If So, you can put your R/C gig in the tender. There are many types of batteries, but I think Lead Acid or R/C car style 7.2volt packs will work great. You can get the Lead Acid at a quality Electronics store, and they are somewhat better over those big 7.2 stick packs because they are smaller.

To get you started, follow this link...quality GR train R/C gear:

http://www.rcs-rc.com/

http://www.batterybackshop.com

http://www.barrysbigtrains.com

Regards,

Tom M.
MetzgerTrains@aol.com

Hi Tom,
Yes I have the tender aslo, very nice unit.
Thanx for the links, I may do that two truck conversion on the bobber.
Thought about DCC, the idea of using batteries with no wires appeals to me tho, we'll see what happens when the time comes. Guess I can always add later on.
I'm trying to get a track plan together that will allow the wee beastie to achieve the eight foot high climb thru the rock to the gazebo without switchbacks, looks like a lot of loops are called for!

Back