Switching scales, opinions please!

NIevo

Well I have always been into modeling HO scale as I found it to be a great compromise between size and detail. As of late however, I am beginning to wonder if N-scale wouldn't be a better choice, especially with all the products now available. The only thing holding me back is my HO inventory which currently sits at 6 engines, 75+cars, a dozen or so buildings, and quite abit of track, all specific to the line I'm planning to model. I'm not so worried about getting my money out of it all as most were bought at great deals and they are all very nice quality and in great shape.

I have always had space limitations and I don't see that changing for some time. I was planning on just building things in stages as space permitted. My current plan would call for at least a 20'x30' layout. I am modeling the Camas Prairie of North Central Idaho and want to include 3 of the 4 subdivisions. It doesn't call for extremely long trains as it was a shortline (even though they did have logger night trains of nearly 200 cars!!!) The scenery and all of the towns/businesses along the was call for a pretty involved plan though.

I would like to get some advice from people who have made a switch from either HO to N or vice versa. Any regrets or things you wish were different? Im not a hard core rivet counter so the lesser detail of most N-scale items won't bother me. I just keep thinking how nice it would be to be able to fit twice as many trains in the same space. Thanks for any feedback guys.

I originally started in N when i was really young and i went to ho because i just couldn't hold the dang stuff and im blind as a bat even with contacts.

I went from HO to N and Back to HO this was 15 years ago.

I went to N scale as I also wanted more track in the same amount of space as my HO layout was taking up. I got all the track down on my 12'x4'x12' L shaped layout. but was constantly fighting track issues with the temp changes in the bacement. I was not having fun with that. the other thing I did not like was the performace of the locos. Slow speed was not a option with engines of that time they would run good at a scale 25mph and above but under that it was jerky. I had all atlas engines and a few cheep lifelikes so that could have been the reason. The n scale engines would not pull either. put 10-15 cars behind a diesel and that was a long train. then take a steam engine and you were down to 10-12 cars .
Also at the time the costs of these little things were more than HO so that was a turn off. When I went back to HO It became clear to me that the track work is simple and there was more available. The engines pulled better freight cars were simple to work on. I kept all my old HO stock so I simply have upgraded them over the years as needed.

thats my .02
Trent

Well those were some of the reasons I never got into N-scale years ago but, with the increase in quality and availability there is now it has made me rethink it again.

I know what you mean. I started all over again three years ago after being out of the hobby, except as an armchair modeler, for about 30 years. I was in HO then and thought long and hard about making the switch to N scale. With the sole exception of sound, N scale really has just about everything that you can find in HO. There are still some holes, especially if you're an early 20th century modeler, but a modern modeler has almost an equal selection of almost everything available in both scales. I finally went with HO because I was familiar with it and liked the detail level I could get. After building and running my layout now, I'm still torn by the decision. I could have a lot more functional railroad with the space I have if I went with N. I guess I'd say that, if you have a small space or a really big space available, go with N scale. In the first instance you can squeeze in more railroad. In the second instance, you can make a really magnificent layout with long mainline freight, big yards, and big cities. If you have a medium amount of space, I'd still go with HO as long I could get everything I wanted in that space with HO.

I recently got back into model railroading after over a decade and was confronted by the very same dilemma. I started in HO and had moved to N scale before I went off to college and everything went into boxes. Getting back into it, I quickly knew what I wanted in a layout, but which scale should I implement it in?

Going with HO meant:
Tighter curves that wouldn't look as good and fewer industries and shorter sidings for those that were left. In general the layout, while occupying more space, would feel smaller. On the plus size the models are easier to work with and the availability of everything you want is amazing. It's not hoping if someone makes what you want, it's choosing between which manufacturer's design you like best!

Going with N scale meant: Primarily a much smaller selection of everything. I couldn't just walk into a LHS and be virtual guaranteed of finding something that just belonged on my layout. The size of N scale just doesn't have the same feeling as HO does either. Things like DCC would be harder to implement if I wanted too. These were major factors against going with N scale. The upside was you could get a whole lot more model railroad in the same amount of space.

The deciding factor: I had to consider what really contributes to a layout that would satisfy what I wanted. HO has much more to offer model wise, but at cost came of having to make a lot of sacrifices to the actual layout design. With N scale, I can fit everything I want my layout to have onto a 30"x6' board. If I went with HO the same layout would be so large it necessitates a serious change in bench work design to accommodate a track plan that would retain the same design elements and still fit into the room. The term "don't bite off more than you can chew" comes into play here. I realize my lifestyle right now means that actually trying to complete a room dominating layout would be too much of a stretch. The overall size of the layout project is fixed by what I can manage. This means that to do it in HO I'd have to go with significantly less layout packed into the same space, and for me that went directly against what I wanted. So unless things suddenly change... I am going with N scale.

Regrets: Nothing I would call a regret, more like wistful wantings. I get a bit dismayed that hobby shops and train shows aren't the same treasure trove they are for the HO scale guys, but I try to take joy in the thrill of the hunt. Sometimes I got annoyed having to fidget with such fiddly little bits when working on models, changing out couplers, etc. Mostly it was a trade off though. So for everything I "lost" or have to give up in one scale, I'd get in the other. You have to decide for yourself what matters to you.

Suggestions I'd make for you would be that if you can fit that 20'x30' layout, if you can afford it, and if you think you'll be able to see it completed to a level you are satisfied with, then by all means go with HO if you can! Just remember the internet is littered with the web pages of unfinished layouts that likely never will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wrestle a little back and forth about doing N or HO and it seems that N is really popular right now. Lots of discussion about N in forums, many new layouts being created.

I am going to do a small shelf layout in N before I start my HO model. I can always keep it on a separate level in the train room. Sound in N seems to be just picking up steam, I am not sure I want to tackle adding sound to those small engines. This is another reason I settled on HO for the main layout. I do love N scale though, you really see a lot of nice layouts done in small spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
N has come a long way but I still think HO is still the way to go. If you're in this for the long haul I think N just gets too difficult to deal with as everyone gets older. The level of detail that can be achieved in HO is also tough to beat. True, you can detail N stuff very nicely but what does it matter if you need a magnifying glass to see it.

Both gauges have their advantages and disadvantages, the best thing to do is probably to sit down and ask yourself what you can live with and what you can live without. Best of luck with your decision.

About a year and a half ago I got back into the hobby and started with N. The quality is great and you can fit a lot into a small space but at 47 my eyes and hands aren't what they used to be. Just chaning the couplers on one engine took over an hour and my eyes hurt afterwards. Handling the cars and enjoying the layout is more difficult without reading glasses. After a couple thousand bucks into it I gave my son the N stuff for his room and switched to HO. Much better for me and the sound is great. All but one of my engines has sound and I'll never go back.
Good Luck
You might want to find a club or someone that has N or even buy a small N set to try it out before deciding.

HO to O

I don't think I could go to N scale at this point, I'm just too frustrated with the small size of the parts etc. HO is difficult enough. I did get some Lionel O latley and I can tell you the engines with all the features and remote control couplers are alot of fun. Fast Track is also alot of fun and very durable. The new Lionel SD-70ace Heritage models are just stunning! If i were to switch gauges I would go to three rail "O".

When starting construction on my new layout I went with HO scale despite the limited space I have available for 3 reasons:
1. I like the level of detail on HO scale equipment compared with N scale
2. Availability of HO versus N scale equipment
3. I had already invested in a fair amount of HO equipment which I was reluctant to get rid of

Having said that, in hindsight I think N scale would have been a better option since I have backdrop flats that are literally "flat" and the amount of benchwork is practically double for HO scale and more complex.

Hope this gives some insight.

Back